VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

There are already five B&Ms at great adventure. Should they get something else?

Great Adventure is home to so many B&Ms, and although well functioning and fun, they all seem just a little too alike in many ways. Especially the ones that are not so tall or super special--they all contain just about the same elements, with a similar feel for every ride. People realize the absence of a wing rider at great adventure, which is very popular. But, despite being known as great coasters, they have a very similar feel with the other B&Ms. Should Greqt Adventure steer clear of these B&Ms for a while?

Edited by Intaminous_Me

People also say that there may be an RMC inverting hybrid woodie for 2015. They should try something new, like an Intamin inverting woodie. Intamin says that they are capable, and besides, RMC is so busy this year with many coaster rennovations to do. An Intamin wooden inverting coaster would fit fine with El Toro, as they would both be built by Intamin.

I've looked at the picture clues for new rides and I'm not sure that there will be a new coaster for 2015, but there are always things in the clues with "loop", so that keeps bringing my hopes up, but I feel like I'll be disappointed.

Honestly, the only rumors of a wing rider are from fan boys.

As for INTAMIN, while they do make great rides, they also make problematic rides. There were three INTAMIN attractions opened in the U.S. in 2014, and all three (Zumanjaro, Falcon's Fury, and Escape From Gringott's) all had MAJOR problems that delayed their openings, huge cost over runs and reliability problems. All three have also had great reviews for when they do work, but I really don't see them spending the money on something new from INTAMIN any time soon.

RMC can build a unique coaster for a fraction of the price of what INTAMIN would charge for the same thing, and with a much better track record.

Well, that's true, but I think it's only because most of the Intamin rides at GA are not standard coasters or anything. True, Kingda Ka has a super high maintenance cost, and it often breaks down, but the crowd of people created for that ride makes up for it. El Toro is also built by Intamin, and it doesn't break down often, and maintenance also looks regular. That's because it goes by standard lift hill. All the Intamin rides attract the longest lines, and that proves that people tend to enjoy them more. Although the cost may be very expensiveprobation easily come back. LSM coasters by Intamin have low maintenance cost, and they work well without constant breakdowns. I think an Intamin LSM would benefit the park the most.

I'm not sure why people have started putting down B&Ms. Most parks are lucky to have them, GA has FIVE. With B&M, the problem I think most people have with them is that so many are so similar, but that is a case of parks not being creative or spending the money for custom designs, not B&M. Look at Nitro, it was custom designed which is why it stands out as one of the best coasters in the world let alone one of the best in the park (of course it also cost a fortune and is part of why Six Flags went bankrupt).

If they went to B&M with a decent budget for a custom design that fit the park and interacted with existing rides and features and had a unique layout, and it was a launched coaster of some sort like Phoenix or it was a 325'+ coaster like Fury 325, it would be a welcome addition to the park as a sixth B&M.

Enthusiasts need to understand that B&M is not the problem with B&M coasters (their coasters are reliable and well loved by the guests), the "problem" is spoiled enthusiasts who are disappointed by un-creative parks looking to save a buck.

• Like 1

Well, yeah. That's true. I really want something new, like something big, tall, fast , and better. I'm not necessarily putting B&M down, it's just that most of their rides tend to be relocations, or not so high, fast, or fun. It is clear to see that great adventure is trying to save money, and Zumanjaro only costed three million, so they have the money for something. It's just that the last thing I would want would be another B&M like all the other ones. Something launched would be more fun, along with a new design, and possibly some new elements to the ride.

I really would like to see some sort of launch type rollercoaster. Doesn't have to be as fast as kingda ka but just something with multiple launch zone throwing you into some loops, banked turns, and lots of airtime. Something like Macerick, Blue Fire (Europa Park), or Verbolten (if u haven't been on it... It's not the fastest or tallest ride in Busch Gardens, but it makes an IMPACT).

I will admit I'm in the Intamin camp, with 8 of my top 10 coasters I've ridden being Intamins (Millennium Force, El Toro, Skyrush, Maverick, Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Top Thrill Dragster, and Kingda Ka). The only B&M in my top 10 is Nitro and the other one is Phoenix at Knoebels. However I can sort of see the reliability thing but Zumanjaro was a bad example since it was due to the state rules stuff not technical delays with the ride.

Most B&Ms I've ridden are in the 11-20 range of my ranking so I don't DISLIKE them they just don't have as many standout rides. And since it's been nearly 10 years since a coaster has been designed for our park I think we deserve a standout ride. Even if it's not Intamin, a Mack launcher or a RMC would fit the bill to me.

Edited by RC98

I will admit I'm in the Intamin camp, with 8 of my top 10 coasters I've ridden being Intamins (Millennium Force, El Toro, Skyrush, Maverick, Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Top Thrill Dragster, and Kingda Ka). The only B&M in my top 10 is Nitro and the other one is Phoenix at Knoebels. However I can sort of see the reliability thing but Zumanjaro was a bad example since it was due to the state rules stuff not technical delays with the ride.

With the exception of Millennium Force and Fahrenheit, all those coasters have or had MAJOR problems causing them to have either delayed openings, long downtimes, or required redesigns on the part of INTAMIN and costing the parks time, money and aggravation. Zumanjaro's problems have not just been the state, but the ride system itself. Considering it is nearly identical to Lex Luthor at SFMM (which also had BIG delays and problems), there really is no excuse for those problems beyond poor design on their part.

You have to remember though, INTAMIN is pushing the limit and doing things that B&M, to put it simply, is scared of doing.

B&M pride themselves on their rides safety record and reliability. They never really "push the limit" or bring anything earth shattering to the table. They know what works, what is safe, and what is reliable, and they seem to stick with it.

You'll never see B&M push something out like Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, or any other ride that incorporates complicated mechanics into it's design (launches, cable lift hills, forward and backward train motion, etc) They "play it safe."

Simply put, INTAMIN is doing new things and breaking into new technology to further improve the future of roller coaster experiences. Naturally, there's going to be more problems because of this and of course, reliability issues. It's the price you pay.

• Like 1

You have to remember though, INTAMIN is pushing the limit and doing things that B&M, to put it simply, is scared of doing.

B&M pride themselves on their rides safety record and reliability. They never really "push the limit" or bring anything earth shattering to the table. They know what works, what is safe, and what is reliable, and they seem to stick with it.

You'll never see B&M push something out like Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, or any other ride that incorporates complicated mechanics into it's design (launches, cable lift hills, forward and backward train motion, etc) They "play it safe."

Simply put, INTAMIN is doing new things and breaking into new technology to further improve the future of roller coaster experiences. Naturally, there's going to be more problems because of this and of course, reliability issues. It's the price you pay.

B&M is currently building a launched coaster at HW. And who cares if they don't use cable lifts? FWIW Hullk does use tires for the lift/launch, though.

It's not that B&M is scared. They built the first inverted and floorless coasters while making the best standup and flying coasters. When they were asked to break 300ft, they did it. They have a 4D concept in place. If they are asked to build something, they do it.

^ All those innovations were in the '90s and early 2000s though. From '06-11 they did pretty much nothing new until the wing, giga, and launch, all which have been done already by others. During this time others innovated and made many of today's top coasters. To me that's why B&M got their reputation of being afraid of trying new things.

• Like 1

I would rather get a B & M than another turkey like Chiller or Zumanjaro. If you get a B & M, you get perfected technology because they test their product extensively and don't release it till they are completely satisfied with it. Intamin just builds rides not knowing exactly how they will work and lets people on them. I don't think that B & M has ever had a fatal accident on one of their coasters that was their fault, but there have been multiple fatal accidents on Intamin coasters and their other rides that was their fault. Sometimes you call Intamin and get a great ride like El Toro or Kingda Ka, other times you get something that never works right like Zumanjaro. I don't want to get a wooden looping coaster because I find them very gimmicky. Steel coasters should have inversions, wood coaster should not. El Toro is already the best wood coaster on the planet, so GA doesn't need to push the envelope with a looping wood coaster. Also, anything that GA gets needs to be high capacity. Wood coasters and Intamin steel coasters are usually lower capacity than a B & M wingrider or 4d wingrider. Like I said earlier, I would rather have another B & M that I could ride every day I am at the park rather than an Intamin that is supposed to be more exciting, but often closed or with a 3 hour line.

• Like 2

I would rather get a B & M than another turkey like Chiller or Zumanjaro. If you get a B & M, you get perfected technology because they test their product extensively and don't release it till they are completely satisfied with it. Intamin just builds rides not knowing exactly how they will work and lets people on them. I don't think that B & M has ever had a fatal accident on one of their coasters that was their fault, but there have been multiple fatal accidents on Intamin coasters and their other rides that was their fault. Sometimes you call Intamin and get a great ride like El Toro or Kingda Ka, other times you get something that never works right like Zumanjaro. I don't want to get a wooden looping coaster because I find them very gimmicky. Steel coasters should have inversions, wood coaster should not. El Toro is already the best wood coaster on the planet, so GA doesn't need to push the envelope with a looping wood coaster. Also, anything that GA gets needs to be high capacity. Wood coasters and Intamin steel coasters are usually lower capacity than a B & M wingrider or 4d wingrider. Like I said earlier, I would rather have another B & M that I could ride every day I am at the park rather than an Intamin that is supposed to be more exciting, but often closed or with a 3 hour line.

Ehh... I will have to disagree with some (Not all) of this.

Chiller a turkey? Yes, for sure. Zumanjaro? Way too soon to say. I don't think it's had enough time to prove itself. Drop towers are not that complicated, it's basically a huge elevator with a release mechanism and some magnets on the cars and copper fins at the bottom to slow it down. I think it'll prove to be rather reliable.

I agree B&M is perfected technology that has been proven to be reliable, for sure. Intamin "just building rides not knowing exactly how they will work and letting people on them" is a bit of a stretch. Their rides are extensively tested as well. No one wants to see a death. Again it's them doing far more impressive things than you see on any B&M. Every B&M ride has a similar feel, they all utilize the same elements and have similar trends.

The RMC loopers have been having a great response. There's no rule that a wood coaster can or cannot have inversions, that's silly to say. Anyway, in reality these coasters are basically a steel coaster on a wooden structure. They ride just as smooth, just like the Intamin pre fab woodies. True, the capacity is slightly less than a B&M wingrider. But still the capacity of an RMC coaster would suffice for our park.

^ All those innovations were in the '90s and early 2000s though. From '06-11 they did pretty much nothing new until the wing, giga, and launch, all which have been done already by others. During this time others innovated and made many of today's top coasters. To me that's why B&M got their reputation of being afraid of trying new things.

What innovation has Intamin been a part of on the coaster front the last 10 years? The horrible Zacspin? The painful Skyrush trains?

I love Intamin, but there is a reason their coaster sales have dropped the last 5-7 years while B&M's business is BOOMING.

I'm waiting for this super loop to have something to it that makes it different from any other park.... The TALLEST SUPER LOOP EVER!!!!! Or what if the super loop had 4D Free spin trains on it??? See now that would be impressive. That I could pass for as a "roller coaster"

Edited by Andrew M

What innovation has Intamin been a part of on the coaster front the last 10 years? The horrible Zacspin? The painful Skyrush trains?

I love Intamin, but there is a reason their coaster sales have dropped the last 5-7 years while B&M's business is BOOMING.

What about their prefab woodies, multi launchers, mega lites, and drop track coasters? When it comes down to it the reliability thing is why parks have stopped using them not that their innovations are bad. Also I seem to be the only person that the Skyrush trains didn't hurt at all (I honestly don't know why myself either). I guess we just agree to disagree then. Edited by RC98

As bad an addition as a Super Loop might be considered, it will at least have better capacity than Busch Gardens Williamsburg's new coaster, so I suppose things could be worse.

A Super Loop can take 24 riders per cycle versus the 12 riders per cycle of the Premier shuttle coaster. And the cycle time should be shorter with faster load times.

What about their prefab woodies, multi launchers, mega lites, and drop track coasters? When it comes down to it the reliability thing is why parks have stopped using them not that their innovations are bad. Also I seem to be the only person that the Skyrush trains didn't hurt at all (I honestly don't know why myself either). I guess we just agree to disagree then.

Pre-fabs are over 10 years old, which is a timeframe you dismissed for B&M. Intamin didn't make the first multi-launch or sub-200ft coaster without inversions, either.

Again, how many great RECENT innovations have they made? Do those innovations really outweigh the mechanical problems, downtime, injuries and deaths that are associated with them?

And if parks simply aren't buying these recklessly innovative rides, why should that entice B&M to do the same instead of playing it safe?