VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

New for 2015 at Great Adventure - El Diablo (formerly Looping Dragon)

29yrswithaGApass

The "tiger and the dragon" refers to a Chinese idiom that they are mortal enemies yet linked together by destiny, combining the tigers brute strength style to the dragon's more patient style, so they represent a balance of power. Yin and Yang. I wonder if that had any type of inspiration in adding a dragon themed ride that's more tame and mejestic as opposed to Ka's powerful ride experience. Interesting to think about

• Like 2

I may be wrong but has anyone else noticed that in the rendering, el tors track is WAY OFF. The hill that crosses over to go into the twisties is no were near in the correct location

I noticed that too. They did a good job making looping dragon look fierce and tall, but a bad job on el toro.

On the positive side, our thrill ride count is getting a lot better. We now have two inverting flats (Twister and Dragon) not to mention Skyscreamer, Zumanjaro, and Slingshot. A S&S Screamin Swing and Giant Frisbee and we would be set! Also, I appreciate how the park is filling out sections of the park now. Golden Kingdom hasn't seen an addition in years and in two years it is now a "well rounded" section of the park with a coaster, a high thrill ride, a moderate thrill ride, and a kids area. As much as I wish we were getting the S&S 4D or Twisted Collosus (how crazy does that thing look!) we aren't and we'll have to wait our turn.

I do commend the recent effort to fill in the many holes of the park where rides used to be, as well as the effort to bump up the flat ride count. That part of this addition is great. But we want to see it done tastefully. A super loop is not a ride that belongs at Great Adventure.

The big fury and uproar is merely, at least for me, Six Flags deceiving it's loyal guests by advertising this ride as a roller coaster, when clearly, it is not. And they have to know that. It is, simply put, wrong and dis honest. They are in a sense polishing a turd.

I don't know, the RMC conversions are cool but really don't "excite" me that much I mentioned this in another thread. I would be more impressed if GADV added something like Lightning Racers (as a true wooden coaster) I hate the fact that we do not have a TRUE wooden coaster anymore. I love El Toro but to me a true wooden coaster is something like Wild Cat, not a coaster using pre fabbed track. Hershey Parks coaster selection blows GADV out of the water in my opp, but that's a whole different topic

I honestly wouldn't mind the addition at all if

1) it wasn't marketed as a coaster

2) they also added an aquatwist next to it to further boost ride count and bring in more business relatively cheaply. I know as GACoaster said the amount of new rides depends mostly on attendance levels, but I think we'd be able to deal with an additional flat. We're not talking about a Disney type ride that needs atleast a dozen employees running it. Between the two rides you'd probably only need 4-6 people, which would be pretty managable

At least it mentions in the article that it is actually a flat ride. Also, will they ever stop saying that kingda ka is the fastest in the world? It's actually getting pretty annoying to me.

^LOL!

Everyone stop whining already! :P We all agree it's not a real "coaster' and the location is a bit questionable... but here are some facts that you all may not understand about GA and theme parks in general:

1. They exist to make money ($$$)

2. Increasing ride counts increases operating costs for every department - think about it: Operations, Maintenance, Landscaping, Security etc.

3. If any souvenir shops or merchandise buildings or food stands or games are added, that too adds to the above costs including Food Service, Merchandise & Games departments.

4. GA NEEDS more flats, and we're getting one.

5. GA just had another record-setting ride added last year. You can't expect that to be done every year.

With that said, I would have preferred that they kept Rolling Thunder around... Perhaps they could have started budgeting for a major overhaul last year to include new track and supports and possibly some enhancements including bringing back the 5th car to the trains. GA could have closed the aging coaster for a season (or two if needed) and planned for this much needed maintenance, keeping one of the last dual-track racing coasters in operation for years to come.

I'm sure many people would agree that RT was a great loss in many ways. I for one, would have been just fine having no "new" rides and instead letting GA focus on the existing rides - their refurbishment and much needed maintenance of the property overall. Most people have no idea how much maintenance is required and the cost associated with having to maintain not only rides, but buildings, restrooms, equipment and machinery, paths/walkways, lighting, etc.! The bigger the park, the bigger the operating costs. I'd rather see the park slow down in new ride investment, and keep things in a highly-maintained manner, rather than have a few shiny new record-breaking rides lumped in with aging, poorly maintained ones - or worse, entire sections of the park that are in a state of chaos and disrepair (i.e., New Country.)

And while I'm thinking of it, who's bright idea was it to start replacing large sections of concrete with asphalt??? Not only does it LOOK cheap, it IS cheap. Not to mention how HOT that stuff gets with the sun beating down on it all day! Covering it with paint (as they've done in some areas) just makes it look horrible too! Bad idea! They could have simply cut back on the amount of concrete needed, by creating cement pathways instead and putting in some sod and trees around them to replace the green that's been cut out of the park over the years!

Just my two cents... ;-)

• Like 1

True. As a guest it is indeed annoying having to walk all the way back just to go on Kingda Ka. I hope they open it. And if Zumanjaro really does get to run with Kingda Ka next season, and we're looking at the possibility of a big ride in 2016, In my opinion its worth it.

• 5 weeks later...