VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

New for 2015 at Great Adventure - El Diablo (formerly Looping Dragon)

29yrswithaGApass

I read the bit about the height requirement, and I thought it's really funny how the most intense ride in the park (El Toro) has the lowest height requirement :lol2: . We were also right about the target of this ride (tweens and younger)

• Haha 1

The drive motor burnt out about a week ago because there is no shade protection and the it was overheating constantly trying to make the hourly numbers. also there are issues with one of the sensors being "too" sensitive causing a fault light, requiring maintenance to have to reset it. they are working to fix it and should hopefully be running again by the weekend.

Edited by Sean O'Leary

• 2 weeks later...

Rode it today.

What a waste of space and money. I can't believe that a carnival ride replaced Rolling Thunder. The statue was the coolest part and probably cost more than the ride itself. Today I waited in a line for every coaster except for this because it's so underwhelming and cheap.

I would of rather them save the money for a more major addition next year. I really wish they would've given RT the iron horse treatment instead of this disappointment.

With all of these obnoxious ads everywhere, $25 to park, and hugely expensive day tickets, we should be able to afford something better than this...

^ they couldn't do anything with RT other than tear it down. It was too far rotted and neglected once they decided to really look at it. Maintence isn't exactly the parks strong suit. I was sad it had been allowed to deteriorate beyond salvagability too, but it is what it is. It wasn't a decision as to "nah let's not iron horse it" , it was "sh!t, it's got to come down cause of all the rot".

Edited by 29yrswithaGApass
Curse omitted for those with sensitive ears!

• 2 years later...

New lawsuit:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/local/south-jersey/2017/09/15/alesiani-great-adventure-diablo-lawsuit/671887001/

Gibbstown parents sues Great Adventure over ride

Jim Walsh, @jimwalsh_cp Published 5:22 p.m. ET Sept. 15, 2017 | Updated 6:13 p.m. ET Sept. 15, 2017

CAMDEN – A Gloucester County couple contends their daughter had to hang on for her life when a seat belt broke on a roller coaster ride at Six Flags Great Adventure.

The child suffered “severe and permanent” injuries in the September 2015 accident on a ride known as El Diablo, Serafin and Margaret Alesiani of Gibbstown say in a lawsuit.

The couple sued Great Adventure last month in Superior Court in Woodbury. The suit was moved to federal court in Camden, where an attorney for the park requested its dismissal Friday.

According to the suit, Margaret Alesiani and her daughter, Rachel, were patrons at the Jackson Township park when the girl rode El Diablo around noon.

The suit alleges the girl buckled her lap belt, and that no employee checked the restraint prior to the start of the ride.

The lap belt “spontaneously disengaged” shortly into the ride, causing the girl “to struggle to hold onto the shoulder bar in order to keep her body in the seat,” the suit alleges.

The park’s website describes El Diablo as a “seven story tall looping steel coaster.”

It says specially designed seats "bolt up and back the looped track like a pendulum, higher and higher until you’re suspended completely upside down in mid-air!”

When the ride ended, the girl told Margaret Alesiani about the defective belt, and the mother alerted ride attendants, the suit says.

“The ride attendants instructed the next group of riders, who had been seated and were waiting for the ride to begin, to exit off the ride,” says the suit filed by attorney Donna Casasanto of Springfield, Pa.

The attendants then examined the belt where the girl had been seated and “closed the ride for technical difficulties,” the suit asserts.

It contends Rachel Alesiani suffered multiple strains and sprains described as “serious” and “permanent,” as well as “a severe shock to her emotional, psychological and nervous systems.”

The suit does not give the child's age. The family's attorney could not be reached for comment.

The suit seeks unspecified damages for Great Adventure’s alleged “recklessness, carelessness and negligence.”

In a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, a lawyer for Great Adventure argued Friday the family had missed a legal deadline to give a required notice to the amusement park.

Attorney Heather Eichenbaum of Philadelphia also argued the park can't face claims for a defective product or “failure to warn” because it was the buyer of the belt, and not its manufacturer.

Among other points, she asserted the family’s claims of emotional distress were “factually unsupported.”

However, Eichenbaum noted the girl's parents "are free to, and certainly will, proceed with a negligence action."

The seat was probably locked regardless of the seatbelt. I have never ridden El Diablo but if the seatbelt works the same way as on a B&M coaster like Bizarro or Batman, the seat is locked and the seatbelt is more to make sure the restraint is down far enough to be safe and maybe a secondary backup restraint.

• Like 1

Its a seat belt....  I never heard of a properly secured seat bely coming in clicked she probably didn't push it in far enough to have it "click" in the first place.  And if its true the ride op never checked, 1-shame on him and 2- there would be no way of knowing it was secured or not in the first place.

Looks like someone is just trying to make a buck

• 1 year later...

The flames have been removed from the top of El Diablo.  Could this just be routine refurbishment or does it mean more?  I don’t think the flames have been removed since installed onto the ride.qzj58qL.jpg

Edit: There’s also a rumor that this could be moving to La Ronde for the 2019 season, but I would take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Mr.Six

1 hour ago, Six Flags FUN! said:

This is the last day of El Diablo's operation. The ride will get new giant loop next year (just like SFGam's one). It will have new computer controller system too.

What is your source?  Otherwise, stop posting things claiming to be facts. 

• Like 7

Look at what I saw traveling northbound on the Turnpike today.  Sorry, I know that the picture is VERY blurry and low quality.  I almost considered taking a picture while driving, but I really wouldn't recommend that.

Instead, I followed the truck as it took Exit 10 (making myself late for a dinner with friends that I was on my way to).  I pulled over on the shoulder after the toll plaza and took this shot as the truck sped by.

Again, it's really poor quality but I'm 95.7% sure I saw El Diablo being trucked north.  Either that or it was just some swamp gas from a weather balloon trapped in a thermal pocket and reflecting the light from Venus.

eldiablo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Scary af. Didn't have my eyes open but my ass was literally off the seat when we stopped at the top! I was screaming "CYBORG, SAVE ME!" And at the end, the guy in front of me was like, "I'll save you... Cyborg..." He had told me I'd like this ride if I liked Cyborg: Cyber Spin so maybe that's where it came from? (Besides the fact that I have a crush on Cyborg thanks to aftermentioned ride and an episode of Teen Titans)

• 1 month later...