VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

New for 2015 at Great Adventure - El Diablo (formerly Looping Dragon)

29yrswithaGApass

With a cheapo ride like this one, especially in the GOLDEN KINGDOM humiliates the entire section of favorites that attract most of the people to the park, and the park lives off of them. Then, they'll consider that a new ride is ALWAYS amazing and end up adding a terrible ride in the best park section. Also, why are so many of the Six Flags parks getting the exact same ride in different themes in he same year? Are they trying to be buddies or something? look at Magic Mountain, getting all those new coasters that we can merely dream about. With this big money saving action, Six Flags better get something taller than Polercoaster(570 feet) and faster that Formula Rossa, but I can see HUGE doubts because this 2015 "attraction" will not attract people and has angered many of it's loyal guests. Unless they get pretty good new custom designed coaster, Great Adventure is on a quick, steady downward spiral.

OK, so, it is what it is. I assume they'll be making the backwards batman announcement at a later date?

As for the Looping Dragon, 7 stories is higher than your typical carnival ring of fire, right? I'm trying to find some sort of reason this would be better than the standard carnival version. Obviously we want big, awesome rides every year, but there's still 2 reasons this ride will be good. 1) It's a flat (I'm not calling it a coaster) which will help to disperse some of the crowd without taking up a big footprint in the park. 2) Hopefully, the path between GK and PDC will open back up and create a MUCH nicer flow on that side of the park.

I hope that they don't open up golden kingdom to plaza del carnaval. People usually can't find el toro in the beginning and I can ride it 12 times nonstop without a line. If they open up golden kingdom to plaza del carnaval, I can't do that anymore!:(

^^^ Ok one botched addition doesn't put them in a downward spiral. Yes there are many better things they could have put and yes I absolutely HATE their marketing of it but quite honestly when it was the beginning of the month and the park had released nothing in terms of clues yet I knew it wasn't going to be much. At least anything we get next year will be better for the park :)

On a separate note I'm just wondering if there's enough backlash against this can they change it? Like they made SkyScreamer an extra 100 feet taller after the announcement.

Edited by RC98

I wonder why the rides at Grear Adventure open late. Zumanjaro was late because of construction and is a decent sized project, so it does have it's reasons. Kingda Ka was late because of harsh winter storms and also had it's reasons. But, think of it this way: Kingda Ka was scheduled to open on the parks 2005 opening date, but it was delayed and opened in mid to late spring. The crew building Kingda Ka worked nonstop all winter whenever they could, and even with a project as big as Kingda Ka, and as complex and intricate, they pulled it off in May. This project could take just a few days if the crew worked as hard as the Kingda Ka crew. Why must it open so late?

^^^ Ok one botched addition doesn't put them in a downward spiral. Yes there are many better things they could have put and yes I absolutely HATE their marketing of it but quite honestly when it was the beginning of the month and the park had released nothing in terms of clues yet I knew it wasn't going to be much. At least anything we get next year will be better for the park :)

On a separate note I'm just wondering if there's enough backlash against this can they change it? Like they made SkyScreamer an extra 100 feet taller after the announcement.

I really hope they can change this. At least make it taller! Their construction probably doesn't even start anytime soon, saying that this ride is expected to open in late spring, but everything in Great Adventure tends to open late, so maybe LATE summer wouldn't surprise me. I do see lots of negativity concerning this ride all over the place and way more than half of the comments are negative. The space between golden Kingdom and plaza del carnaval is big enough for something better than he Looping Dragon. Atleast make it seem more presentable, add some special effects, make it bigger, or th best way is to try something completely different and not build this looping dragon.

I would imagine with four of these rides being ordered by Six Flags alone, it will be Spring before the park takes delivery of the ride from the manufacturer.

Perhaps they should have planned more accordingly to have the ride arrive on time? It's not that hard to "plan ahead" for a ride like this. There is no excuse as to why it should open late. I completely understand Zumanjaro, Kingda Ka, and any other major attraction opening late. There's millions of variables in those cases.

Or surely they can just go find one for sale from a closing carnival and install that. . . . .

But a carnival flat ride designed intentionally to be broken apart and rebuilt in a matter of days would surely be an easy task for a park that installed the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster through a really harsh winter season, and they managed to have that open before summer.

i would love to see a bigger version of what sfft is getting at our park next year

That's what Great Adventure should have got. that would have fit in Chiller's old Spot. It couldn't be called Batman the ride though LOL. Maybe 2016 We will get our 4D wing coaster or RMC.

1. Is this the same ride Josh Baskins wanted to ride in the 1980's movie Big, if so, maybe they will put a Zoltar machine next to it.

2. What would have been alot cooler, if possible. Build this around another roller coaster, like have kingda ka's track go through the center, then that would have been worth the hype.

• Like 1

I'd like to point out two things about this:

1. This is a super sized version of the ubiquitous carnival ride, so it will be bigger than most people have ever been on before.

2. The fact that it is such a small addition means additional budget for next season's attraction which will likely be an RMC coaster or a Justice League dark ride if the patterns continue.

Either way, it is better than nothing. It is another flat ride for those who wanted an exciting flat ride. Great Adventure has more "world class" coasters and rides than ANY other park with Nitro, Kingda Ka, El Toro, and now Zumanjaro. While there are other parks with more coasters/rides, few have as many top ranked ones. Not every year can be the world's tallest, fastest, loopingest.

And, while those of us at GAH would probably have appreciated a "40th Season Celebration" like SFGAm is getting, for most of the public that would have been a real disappointment, and at least we are getting a new ride (while they are just bringing 3 kiddie rides out of the boneyard).

As for BTR Backwards, they probably decided to wait on announcing until the State of New Jersey has given their approval on it so they don't have another situation like this year.

Six Flags will have competition in a few years when DreamWorks Studios opens there first ever theme park in East Rutherford. Land clearing is finished and survey markers have been installed. Great Adventure better get it's head in the game before it turns into AC. Thats why 2016 has to be spectacular.

I tend to agree with the others on here, calling this a "coaster" really is a huge stretch!

I'm glad a flat ride is going in though... The park really needs a lot more "family style" thrill rides. I would have been happy to see a few of these types added instead of just one however. Bring a new Musik Express or an Enterprise ride back to the "Old Country" section... The Old Country used to be known as the "New Rides" area... but it has since fallen into a sad state... Perhaps re-theming as the "County Fair" section with older nostalgic rides would be a good addition...?!?

And to the marketing department: Please just be honest with the guests. Don't "hype" something to the point where nearly everyone has to throw the B.S. flag on the play... Just say something like "Coming in 2015: Exciting new rides for the whole family to enjoy!" and leave it at that!

• Like 1

I remember last year they had a poll to see what name you liked better which is where Zumanjaro came from. I'm guessing they didn't do that this year? Bc lets be real nobody would vote for the name Looping Dragon. "shivers"

Yeah the name is horrific. Honestly I would rather it be called just "Dragon" than looping dragon. All the other parks at least got decent names.

I wonder why, other than a typo, SFOG and Great Adventure have the seating capacity of the super loop at 20 riders while SFAmerica and SF Discovery Kingdom have it at 24.

The manufacturer's site list the capacity of the train as 24-32 passengers so I guess all the Six Flags parks will be getting the 24 seat version.

22M_dw.jpg

It is a little "weak" as the premier new attraction for a Park on the scale of Great Adventure. Were paying for all the cost of the Zumanjaro delays. And i am very dissapointed of the location. They should be placing it where the old climbing structure and the Flying Elephants were in the Golden Kingdom. Could easily fit the ride and que and re-open that pathway. Or even have the que start where the Elephants were with the current location.