VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2016 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

^Not what I meant. I kinda meant that now at least we have a reason to speculate; i mean, we filled up 23 pages before the season came to an end haha

I agree with most of what you said, but my point still stands. Superman at SFA is not a very good hyper, let alone Intamin hyper, but it is still a decnt ride that is better than most coasters (possibly Batwing as well) at SFA.

Agreed. While the helices suck out a lot of the energy, I enjoyed Superman @ SFA. Good first drop, love that fast first turn, and great airtime on the hills toward the end. We went this year on a dead day and I was able to ride 12xs throughout the day. Batwing I did once and I hated it. Awful restraints and that horrible flip into the drop. A lot of people seem to love it, including folks I was with but its just not for me I guess.

Speaking of hypers, Skyrush is my favorite coaster (after El Toro of course) and the most insanely intense coaster I have ever been on. Was able to ride it 4xs in one night recently and it blew me away.

^That's an IntaRide style hyper. That's why it's so intense. I305 is also another insane Intamin that is IntaRide style with the double spine.

Also, Ive heard that some people black out on the Ride of Steel Hypers on the first helix because of how much speed it carries into it! I've also heard that the one at Darien Lake is more intense than the one at SFA but I can't confirm this

I agree that Skyrush is a bit short but its intensity makes up for that. IMO it feels like it should end when it does. Also the fact that the lift is 17mph contributes to the brevity, there is none of that slow building anticipation you get with something like Nitro or ROS. Still, compare it to Kingda Ka which is 20-some seconds from launch to break.

edit: Personally, I think what I would most want SFGAdv to get for their next coaster would be an Intamin hyper/giga/megalite (or RMC hybrid). I know its unlikely we'll get another Intamin, but so far out of all the Intamin's I've ridden they are generally my favorite ride experiences. El Toro, Skyrush, ROS, Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, etc all amazing.

I know there is a lot of chatter about a B&M wing rider but I don't think any of the Six Flags parks are going to get any B&Ms for a while. While they are reliable and high capacity they are very expensive and GAdv in particular already has 5 B&Ms.

Edited by boldikus

^And a wingrider would be too similar to Bizzaro. Inversions, affects, headchoppers, etc.We already have a B&M hyper (Nitro), so I dont think a intamin hyper would be the best fit. Maybe we can get an Intamin twisty Giga like I-305, but that would be highly unlikely because Six Flags has never installed a giga before. My personal thing would be a blitz because we have nothing like it in Great Adventure, so it would be different, but it would also fill in some gaps in our park. Another choice would be a RMC hybrid or wood or something crazy (inverted, launced winged, flying woodie), but the problem with that would be it's too similar to El Toro with steep drops, fast turns, etc. We could also get a GCI woodie since Rolling Thunder's destruction left us with no family sized woodie. The last option for 2016 (that I could think of) is that Six Flags gives us something horrible like a crayon kiddie coaster or nothing at all (though I don't think Six Flags would do that).

Another choice would be a RMC hybrid or wood or something crazy (inverted, launced winged, flying woodie), but the problem with that would be it's too similar to El Toro with steep drops, fast turns, etc. We could also get a GCI woodie since Rolling Thunder's destruction left us with no family sized woodie. The last option for 2016 (that I could think of) is that Six Flags gives us something horrible like a crayon kiddie coaster or nothing at all (though I don't think Six Flags would do that).

IMO the most likely scenario is getting a custom RMC hybrid, hopefully in the Movietown/Old Country section near Nitro/Batman. Yes, I know we have Toro, and an RMC would be a generally similar experience (an extreme woodie), but Six Flags has been all about the RMCs the last few years, so I think its only a matter of time before we get one, which I'm fine with.

I have yet to ride one but all of them look amazing in their own ways, I hear they are great, and they seem to be relatively cheap when compared to a new, custom B&M. I agree with whoever posted that GAdv may have been on the list for a big new coaster in 2015 but then Zumanjaro not opening on time/going over budget probably changed that.

Edited by boldikus

... I agree with whoever posted that GAdv may have been on the list for a big new coaster in 2015 but then Zumanjaro not opening on time/going over budget probably changed that.

Yes, it's very likely that this was the scenario. I've also heard that attendance numbers weren't stellar this year either, so that could also be a possible cause.

^^^same. But does anyone else agree that our park has gotten crapier ever sibce Jim-Reid Anderson became SF CEO and President. And when John Fitzgerald became president of SFGA. I remember comibg in like 2009 and them having shows and a lot of things to do for little kids (like i was at the time) and parades and they would get good additions each year. Now i think SFMM is that park. Like tbh they get something good like every year to every other year

2011- Green Lantern and Superman:ESCAPE FROM KRYPTON

2012- Lex Luthor Drop of Doon

2013-Full Throttle

2014-Speedy Gonzalez Hot Rod Racers (finally somethin small)

2015- Twisted Colossus.

I think the park has gotten better with the current management compared to Red Zone. Red Zone removed way more than they added and some of the additions were really questionable like Big Red Planes when the park already had Air Jumbo and Sea Planes, and the removal of the simulator ride for yet another upcharge that didn't happen and closing rides to save money like Tango and the Stagecoach and Houdini for part of the season or some years most of the season and closing Old Country. They also added the locker policy and at one point were actually going to consider a no re-entry policy to the parks (it was on SFNE's website for a short time before being removed because they got so many complaints). I also remember hearing they wanted to cancel El Toro but the ride progress was too far along for that to happen. I was very glad to see Shapiro and Red Zone gone.

With the current management, they finally added some family rides in Adventure Alley including bringing back bumper cars, built a drop tower, added Green Lantern, reopened the closed/SBNO rides, and have added some new slides to Hurricane Harbor. They also added the season dining pass and changed the loose article policy to allow souvenir bottles in line and lowered season pass prices. I paid less for a pass with parking in 2014 than I did from 2008 - 2013.

They also seem to be adding something to most parks each year. SFA hadn't gotten a coaster since 2001 and then they get 2 coasters with 4 years of the current management, and like Great Adventure, reopened some closed attractions like a set of waterslides.

• Like 1

^^^there you make it sound alright but i realize now im just desperate for a new coaster around here. Im excited for the fruit loop but i need something that is new and gives airtime or speed. I really hope that the over the budget rumor is true. I believe i read that SF copyrighted the X-Flight name and layout. So many people thought a park would get one. No parks got one so there is confusion there. All i need is thrill for 2016!

^Another thing to remember, under the Shapiro days the focus was families, families, families. Thrill coasters were hardly even considered in those days, it was Premier that invested in the major thrills. Looking back, the majority of the park's headline roller coaster were added under Premier: Medusa, Nitro, Superman, Kingda Ka, and El Toro's planning/construction. Dark Knight was the only coaster added under Shapiro.

Great Adventure's ride lineup/diversity has been greatly improving since 2011. Jim (the current CEO) seems to be much more frugal than Premier, but also more focused on ride diversity- something for everyone- than Shapiro. I'm sure a new coaster will be here by 2017, so until then, just enjoy the world class coasters Great Adventure has. As a local to Six Flags America, I'm extremely jealous of Gadv. Yes, SFA has gotten two coasters under the current management, but is still in desperate need of a headliner. Unfortunately, Apocalypse is sub-par and Ragin Cajun is a family coaster. Superman is the best thrill coaster, but is very old news and is an outdated design/layout. I enjoy my occasional trip to Great Adventure and my summer visits to Cedar Point, in the meantime.

Yoshi, the one thing I dodnt like what SF is doing as you stated is the lowering of the Season Passes. A gold pass should not be being sold for 61.99 It brings way to much trash into the park. If CF can charge 180 for their platinum pass, no reason SF cant charge like min 120. Look also what Hershey charges, also.

That is the point of having a higher price. However the downside is it places a greater financial burden on those willing to pay but they get a higher grade product with less trashy people.

If they raise prices, they have to raise the quality of the park. You want it to be worth your money. People pay that much for Cedar Fair because they offer a lot more. I woud gladly pay $120 like i used to and if that includes hurrican harbor than its good. Before i was paying $120 and that was just for the pass and parking. Do the trashy people buy season passes or day passes? It seems to me that if they're coming from the city, they wouldn't make the trip too often. If that's the case, raise the price of regualr tickets a lot and raise seson pass a little. They might also make more with the trashy people as they tend to like thrill rides.