VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

El Toro Fading?

Josh Davidson

I know this may sound a bit ridiculous but in the last fly-over from our pal Phil, it seems El Toro is fading a lot faster then normally. The wood from opening year being a sharp crisp brown is now almost a light faded brown if you guys have noticed. Just wondering if anyone else have noticed this. Of course it is nothing compared to it's neighbor's colors.. Medusa..

For El Toro a restain would probably be the best option in keeping it's original look, but painting will probably be looked at first. This is one of the tough things with a Wooden Coaster not painted in the frist place. Keeping it with that traditional look has to be incredibly difficult.

^ I am in no way denying that you guys are correct as I am sure you have more knowledge of the wooden coasters than me since I usually prefer steel. I just think that with other rides in need of some repainting and that new contract of theirs, there is a chance that the park might decide to go ahead and paint the coaster in the future if they feel work is needed.

^ I don't mean specifically in the near future at all. I just mean the park would probably look at a paint job if at some point down the road the wood was really deteriorated on the exterior. WHo knows though I'm just gonna stop throwing my two cents in because apparently it's all wrong.

I wasn't really that serious about restaining. It's a coaster, not a backyard deck.

I will say that it has faded faster than I thought it would. I don't like painted woodies that much anyway. It looks nice for a year but then it deteriorates like the paint on Rolling Thunder.

Doesn't really matter anyway Six Flags likes to wait nice and long anyway before doing any sort of exterior upkeep on these rides. It will be years before anything is even noticed by them so I guess it's not of any concern at this point. Besides their new baby will be opening soon so much like Kingda ka, any remaining emphasis to get us on El Toro will soon diminish on the park's behalf.

^You are right about the wait... it took forever for them to repaint Rolling Thunder.

I do think El Toro would look great with strings of running lights like those in the Plaza del Carnaval profiling the hills.

gallery_2_21_34961.gif

They should also sting some up on the other side of El Toro to light up the walkway there. That walkway between El Toro and the creek to the bridge has almost no lighting at all!