VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Looking for trip planning advice

J4Sing

Hi folks! I am planning on an epic visit to GA this June 24th to celebrate my 42nd birthday. From 1979 to 1993, I visited the Park multi times every season, until I moved to Oregon, then Florida. Last time I was there, Batman the Ride was brand new. Going with me in June are two old friends whom I haven't seen in years. We always used to go to GA together when we were growing up, and this is going to be a great reunion.

When we used to visit, we would get there an hour before opening, and as soon as the rope dropped made a sprint to the Scream Machine to get on before the line got big. Now, there are so many great coasters there, we are unsure which way to run when the park opens that day. Since Kingda Ka is the only one that would close if there was a drizzle out, that would be the likely choice, with Scream macine, Superman, RT, and El Toro a stone's throw away. Then we would skyride over to Nitro. What concerns me is that by the time we get to Nitro there could be a 3 hour wait. But if we go to Nitro first, it will be long waits for all the coasters in the Scream machine district. Would it pay to buy a fast pass? How much do they cost? Is is likely that June 24 (a tuesday) will be a mobbed day? Out of the following 3-

1.Kingda Ka

2.Nitro

3.El Toro

which of these has the longest, slowest moving line when the park is busy?

Would it be wise to hit the first coaster twice in a row, or hit everything only once then try and get on again later?

Some ride specific questions-

1. I read here that the left side track of RT rarely is open. This is a complete reversal of when the ride was brand new. Every time I went in 1979 the right side track was always closed. I always favored the left track due to the larger second hill and the view of the safari in the first turn,as well as the view of the infield just past the gum tunnel. Does anyone know if they fixed the left track's problems so I can have some hope it will be open when I go?

2. El Toro- I want to ride the back seat the first time I go on El Toro, everyone keeps raving about it.

Is there an extra line to wait for the back seat, and does the ride have a good reputation for fast dispatches?

3.Kingda Ka-I hope to ride this at least twice in the front seat. Again, would it be wise to go to KK first to ensure I get that seat before the crowd gets too big? Also, how is the back seat of KK as far as air time on the second hill?

4.Nitro-I know very little about this ride except that the pictures freak me out and I must ride this one at least one time each in front and back. How bad do the lines get for this? This ride is a must, I want to ride it almost as much as I want to ride KK.

5.Medusa-I had thought it was a suspended coaster, like Batman or the Montu or Dueling Dragons, and was delighted to learn it is a floorless coaster, like the Kraken at Sea World Orlando. Since this ride seems to be in a remote location, would the lines be less severe during peak hours?

6. The store up the road- Back in 1993, there was a little convenience store maybe a mile past the GA entrance, with a lakeside beach across the street. We used to take a break in the afternoon and get food at this store, then picnic at the beach. Batman was brand new then, and we were able to see it from this beach. I want to return there to see the view of Nitro, I was wondering if that old store is still there as well.

7.Twickets- I had to ask. Do they still have 5 dollar twickets to come back a second day?

I suppose that some of these questions would seem kinda dumb, but like I said it has been a very long time since I have been there, and this trip is very special and I want it to go well. If anyone wants to give me some advice, it would be very much appreciated. Best wishes, Jason

Jason, I am sure you will have a great time! Here is some info - hopefully helpful. Other members please feel free to offer your suggestions - these are just my opinions. Have fun !!! Harry

Would it pay to buy a fast pass? How much do they cost? I have never used a FlashPass at GA so I will leave this question for someone who know the details.

Is it likely that June 24 (a tuesday) will be a mobbed day? I think you should make out o.k. that day being a Tuesday. Most NJ schools will be out by then but I think the crowds should be manageable.

Out of the following 3- 1.Kingda Ka 2.Nitro 3.El Toro which of these has the longest, slowest moving line when the park is busy? Nitro is probably the fastest moving line especially with 3 trains. Assuming Kingda Ka is using four trains and El Toro two, I think El Toro's line would take a little long given its popularity and dispatch intervals. That also assumes Ka doesn't have "difficulties".

Would it be wise to hit the first coaster twice in a row, or hit everything only once then try and get on again later? It wouln't hurt to hit the first coaster twice especially if a queue hasn't built up.

..so I can have some hope it (Rolling Thudner left) will be open when I go? With full staffing in June, there is a very good chance both sides of Rolling Thunder will be open AND racing!

El Toro- Is there an extra line to wait for the back seat, and does the ride have a good reputation for fast dispatches? Towards the rear of the station there is an extended queue for the last seat. With two trains the ride has a good dispatch interval. The thing that slows it down are guests that try to take on loose articles and larger guests that require lap bar checks.

Kingda Ka-Again, would it be wise to go to KK first to ensure I get that seat before the crowd gets too big? Also, how is the back seat of KK as far as air time on the second hill? Once again there is an extended queue for the first row of Ka and it probably takes 8 extra cycles or so to get into that seat compared to the rest of the train- go here first to minimize the wait. With four train operations the queue splits twice - once to get to the far loading station and then also to the loading areas for the two trains. Take advantage of guests that don't realize this and simply wait for the first queue they reach.

Nitro-How bad do the lines get for this? With three trains Nitro eats lines. This will probably have the shortest wait of the "major-major" coasters.

Medusa-would the lines be less severe during peak hours? This ride has a moderate wait. You are pretty safe going anytime of the day.

I was wondering if that old store is still there as well. I believe there is still a store that way but there is also a built up area of stores in the other direction - WaWa, KFC, Burger King, McDonalds, etc less than a mile away on Roue 537. The lake with the Nitro view is still open!

Twickets- I had to ask. Do they still have 5 dollar twickets to come back a second day? They may have a similar promotion (?) but the "Twicket" is gone.

Nitro is most likely going to be the easiest of the big three you named to go on. The line really does move quite fast when they are up and running all three cars, and even when only two are running, i can't say I've waited overly long lately.

In terms of Kingda ka or El Toro, if last year was any indication Kingda Ka might not be the worst line you are going to find as the weait never seemed to be too too long. El Toro on the other hand did have quite a few days where the lines were insanely long, but there were also days where we got on in less than 15 minutes. I think with the Dark Knight being open now, more traffic will be heading to that side of the park first and inhabittng the lines of Nitro, The Dark Knight, and Batman: The Ride, so Kingda ka and El Toro may be the perfect pair to head for right from the start. if you would like to definately ride more than once if there is the opertunity to do so. Sorry I'm not able to give you exact details on what would be best, but I think it really is going to depend on the success of the Dark Knight overall. I'll come back with some observations of the lines once the park has been open for a little while.

• 2 months later...

Well, the big trip is only a couple weeks out now! I am so looking forward to visiting Great Adventure again after all these years!

So now that the park is up and running again and people have gone there, is there any new advice to be given? I am still planning on hitting the Kingda Ka as soon as the rope drops. I already have my ticket, so I won't need to wait on the ticket line. Do they still let people in the turnstiles 30 minutes before opening and let them wait up by the fountain until the rope drop? I seriously am so worked up about riding the Kingda Ka, I need to get there immediately before a single drop of rain might fall and shut the ride down. lol

How about the flat rides? I know most of them are gone, but I'm a bit confused about the status of the Round Up and the Flying Wave. Are they gone too?

How are the lines for Dark Knight? Also, I forgot to ask about the lines for Superman. I was thinking of hitting Superman after the Kingda Ka, then take a ride on the Scream Machine to calm down before I go on El Toro. can't wait!

I'll be coming from Staten Island that day. How's the toll on the NJTPK from exit 10-exit 7a?

Also, I might grab a room somewhere after the day is done, so as not to drive back to Staten Island that same day. I know that there are rooms right outside the park, but they are probably ridiculously priced. Anyone have advice on that? Thanks for the help!

In terms of rooms and tolls I can't be of too much help because we come from so close we avoid both altogether.

Lines for TDK that I have experienced haven't been more than a max of about 40 minutes, and that was with physics day being in the park and it only being open one full day prior. So I would say the lines won't be too long for it, and if they seem long don't be too fooled because the ride runs almost continuously so it is much quicker than a line for say Nitro or Superman of the same length.

I can say that lines are running much better overall with people being forced to use the lockers outside of the major coasters. Kingda Ka I don's believe has had too many long lines so far, but we haven't managed to get on it (my blood pressure numbers are a little higher than I would like for something that intense). I think if you are going over there first thing you will be in good shape, and going straight from there to El Toro you will most likely avoid too many lines as well there and it seems like both have had multiple trains running more often than not so I think your strategy thewre would be good.

As for Superman, I can't really say I have seen a huge line for that one either, but at the same time many of our visits have been during seemingly "down" days to the park. But even on the one physics day lines didn't seem to be very long more than 40 minutes or so there. Again the ride lockers have made a big difference in terms of loading and wait times and while I wouldn't wanna have top pay for them, they are making for nice park experience overall.

All the other rides have been running nice and smooth, and if you like The Dark Knight I would suggest taking a short ride on Skull Mountain if you have some extra time. There is usually no wait at all for the ride, and they do have some theming inside going on ride now and I think you will enjoy it. For Flat rides, Buccaneer has been running pretty consistently this season so that is always availible. The Flying Wave is unfortunately gone this season, but the Fantasy Fling (Super Roundup) is still up and also has seemed to be running smoothly each time we were there. Other than those The Big Wheel is always a nice ride and has also not seen overly long lines to this point. If it does rain they will probably shut that down for a bit but it comes up and running.

Hope some of my advice here has been helpful for you. I'm nbot sure about openings only because I never get there in time for that but I would imagine they might still let people through the turnstiles. I hope you enjoy your trip and look forward to hearing about how it goes for you.

Are you flying or driving to NJ? If flying in the Philly airport would be the closest large airport to SFGAdv and they do have GAdv brochures at the airport.

Driving. I hate traveling by commercial airliners these days. Not that I am afraid of flying, I always used to enjoy it, it is just the lousy service and mishandling of baggage that puts me off. PLUS, I will be stating in NY, and one does need a car to get over to GA. JS

You can rent cars at most airports like Philly's but you are right about the airlines anymore. My luggage gets the hell beat out of it by the airlines these days and now they only let you check one free bag. Have a good trip to GAdv.

Edited by The Master

Well, the big trip is only a couple weeks out now! I am so looking forward to visiting Great Adventure again after all these years!

So now that the park is up and running again and people have gone there, is there any new advice to be given? I am still planning on hitting the Kingda Ka as soon as the rope drops. I already have my ticket, so I won't need to wait on the ticket line. Do they still let people in the turnstiles 30 minutes before opening and let them wait up by the fountain until the rope drop? I seriously am so worked up about riding the Kingda Ka, I need to get there immediately before a single drop of rain might fall and shut the ride down. lol

How about the flat rides? I know most of them are gone, but I'm a bit confused about the status of the Round Up and the Flying Wave. Are they gone too?

How are the lines for Dark Knight? Also, I forgot to ask about the lines for Superman. I was thinking of hitting Superman after the Kingda Ka, then take a ride on the Scream Machine to calm down before I go on El Toro. can't wait!

I'll be coming from Staten Island that day. How's the toll on the NJTPK from exit 10-exit 7a?

Also, I might grab a room somewhere after the day is done, so as not to drive back to Staten Island that same day. I know that there are rooms right outside the park, but they are probably ridiculously priced. Anyone have advice on that? Thanks for the help!

I work at Guest Relations, so I'll gladly help you out! My advice is to get a Gold Flashpass if you would like to ride everything. With these very hot days, such as the past 2 days, not waiting in the hot queue is a big plus and the wait time is cut by 75%, if you're interested in it, I suggest going online to http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/tic.../flashpass.aspx and reserving one, but you must arrive before 12PM, or your reservation for the pass will be cancelled. Instead of running to Kingda Ka first, go to the Flashpass center right by Fort Independence (the dolphin show) and get in line as people will rush to the center itself and a long wait will develop. They do sell out quick so that's why I suggest the online reservation. If you get a Gold Flashpass, you will certainly get to ride Kingda Ka and El Toro and every major attraction at the park!

As for flats, this year we have Buccaneer, Fantasy Fling, Jolly Roger, Big Wheel, Carousel, Fly me to the Moon, Parachutes, Tango, Teacups, and the Skyride. We no longer have the Flying Wave, Spinmeister, Autobahn, Musik Express, and Freefall. There is still many things to do to occupy your day though! I highly suggest the Tiger Show and the Dolphin Show as both are very entertaining and let you sit and relax. If you are coming on the weekend, I HIGHLY suggest you stay for the Glow in the Park parade, you will not regret it!

The Dark Knight, depending upon the day, will have a wait time of at least 30 minutes as it is a new attraction. Due to the popularity of new attractions, there will be long lines for it throughout the season, so that's another reason to get a Flashpass! Seriously, it will make your day that much better! Superman also tend to get long lines because of a longer load/unload cycle, so you may want to do that earlier in the day before the bulk of the crowds arrive after 12pm.

As for Hotels, the Six Flags website has the closest hotels listed and there are packages that they can arrange for you to get. Visit http://hotels.sixflags.com/1738_welcome.html for this information!

Also, parking is 15 dollars, but if you'd like to park closer and not have to walk as far to get to your car, I suggest getting preferred parking which is only 10 dollars more (I know 25 dollars is a lot, but after a full day of walking around the park, it's nice not to have to walk all the way across the lot and then try and find your car!)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me or anyone else here, I know we'll all be glad to help!

I'm strictly old school. Never needed to buy a flashpass, never will. I'll endure the lines as I always have. B)

One other question I do have...

Are there one or two entrances to the Golden Kingdom/Kingda Ka area? I know one way is to go as I would to Rolling thunder, then enter GK there.

Is there a shorter route through the arcade area as if heading to Scream Machine? It appears as if so on the map, but I am not sure. I'd hate to go the long way when heading there when the park opens. I know this question sounds stupid, but remember I haven't been there since 1993 and back then, the Scream Machine and Rolling Thunder areas were not connected. Thanks! JS

Yes there is an entrance into the Golden Kingdom from the boardwalk area. Just travel from the fountain as though you are headinng to the Scream Machine, and on your right after you pass the food stands like Butterfly Fries and that stuff you will see a large entranceway into the golden Kingdon that goes around the stage for the Temple of the Tiger.

Thanks for the info!

My buddy wants to know if they allow you to wear your prescription glasses when riding the Kingda Ka. The dude can't see without them, but at the same time we don't want to have to go to a locker before we get on the ride just for a pair of glasses.