VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

KK days might be numbered (record holding that is)

Mrpq

Seems we are going to get "topped". Kinda of lame if you ask me. If they want to beat a record go big, not just a few feet. Also a little something different would be cool. Its very cookie cutter

from screamscape

"2016- Ferrari Land / Ferrari Hotel - Confirmed -
(4/28/15) An email came my way from our European spy network regarding the coaster planned for the Ferrari Land second-gate park at PortAventura. The big coaster, which we've seen in the artwork, looked just like a clone of Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure, complete with a Drop of Doom style drop towers built in from day one. Previously they had kept the height and speed of this coaster clone a guarded secret, only saying that it would be the fastest coaster in all of Europe when it opens. Now I'm told that the park is expected to announce the full details of the new coaster on May 7th during a cerimony that will lay the first stone of the project. It has been leaked to me that the coaster itself will be 140 meters tall, which would make it 459.3 feet in height, just a meter or so taller than Kingda Ka's 456 foot height. That said, that means this new coaster will surely have to go just a tiny bit faster than Kingda Ka's 128mph launch speed when it opens in 2016 as well."

db_2016_FerrariLand21.jpg

Edited by Mrpq

I agree about not breaking the record by just a few feet. I know Cedar Point fans said the same thing when Kingda Ka was announced but at least Kingda Ka is 36 feet taller and 8 mph faster than Top Thrill Dragster.

With that coaster in Orlando it looks like the only record Kingda Ka might have in a few years is fastest coaster in North America.

Since its Europe where amusements rules and policies don't seem as strict like no seatbelts on many rapids rides, I'm guessing they will probably be able to run both rides at the same time.

36 feet sounds a lot better 3 feet. and by that this new coaster might not be that mush faster. Considering we are 8mph faster and 36 feet taller. I don't expect this new coaster to be faster by much to clear an extra 3-4 feet.

Im more bothered by the fact its EXACTLY the same. At least the coaster going to Florida is something new

Guys, if they were going for the record they would have said "World's tallest ride", not "Europe's fastest ride". It seems this was deliberate; I heard somewhere it will be in the giga coaster class, not a strata, but that is obviously not confirmed.

I'm glad Intamin is building coasters again, specifically large ones. They have this, and the great-looking coaster under construction at Phantasialand. I think since it's been 10 years since they built the last strata coaster, and 5 since they built a hydraulic launch coaster, they will have improved or perfected the system, so it might not be plagued with the problems other Intamin Accelerators and Stratas face.

No matter what happens, Kingda Ka's record days are numbered, I agree.

It's not that Intamin chose to stop making record breakers...they are just not in demand. SF no longer has the capital to purchase $30M attractions, CF is purchasing B&M for their giga coasters due to reliability and cost after the initial investment (I305 and Maverick both had to be reprofiled after they were built), and no other chains have the capital or need for a record breaking Intamin.

IMO, it's better this way. I'd rather see companies like Intamin and RMC get creative on smaller budgets than build huge, 1-2 trick ponies on bigger budgets.

^That's what I was implying. Also, many overseas projects are utilizing Intamin as they can bring world class attractions at a relatively cheap price (slightly cheaper than B&M most of the time)

Edited by KK456