VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Lightning Rod at Dollywood

Railer

As of late i have been doing ALOT of research on RMC. Basically to try and see when our Park is falling into their plan's, but along the way i have found out a few thing's they have coming up. RMC is going to start making Steel Coaster's. They have more than doubled their Track & Train output when they moved into their new facilities, and they have started offering Steel Coaster's as an option now. But everyone seem's to think Dollywood is getting the 1st Launched "Woodie" from RMC. It may be RMC's 1st "launched coaster", but it may also be RMC's 1st "Steel Coaster" as well. Time will tell.

Aren't the conversions mostly steel? One thing's for sure, Dollywood is almost certainly getting a launch of some sort and it will be most likely from RMC.

They replace the Wooden Bent's with Steel directly under the Track, and reinforce the wood with Steel support's. But they are moving into totally Steel Coaster's that will be compareable to B&M's. And with the 20mil+ price tag that Dollywood said "Shot Rod" has, i don't think a "LIM" launch system is adding 10 million dollars to the cost of an RMC wooden coaster (they have all cost between 6 and 11mil). Another neat fact about RMC conversions i found out is that RMC is responsible for re-tracking, and anything 10 feet below the Track. Anything below 10ft under the Track is the Host Park's responsibility.

• 4 weeks later...

Alot of the work is really starting to pick up at Dollywood now for "Shot Rod", an nothing still to point to what kind of launched coaster RMC is building, the only thing that has been confirmed is that it is definetly an RMC coming to the Park with the job posting they put out. But with the high, 22mil price tag on what will most likely be a launched, "low to the ground" terrain coaster, that price is really high for an I-box with wooden support's. I'm still thinking it will be RMC's 1st Steel Coaster.

^ I think that's possible given the price tag, likeliness of a launch(es), and possible ways to use that terrain, plus when I hear the name "Shot Rod" I think of a steel coaster for some reason.

However, from a marketing standpoint having the world's first launched wooden coaster would be enticing.

I just can't see a launch system adding around 10mil to the pricetag of an I-Box. Especially if it's a "terrain coaster". And with the way the land clearing on the hill is looking, it is. Hardly any support structure should make it cheaper, not more.

^ That makes me wonder how big a difference in price there is between a steel or wooden structure.

Regardless of whether it's wood or steel my guess is that given the $22 million price tag this is going to blow away all our expectations. I imagine a layout something like this proposed RMC but with a launch(es):

Edited by RC98

• 1 month later...

Here's the link to watch Dollywood's announcement LIVE on Friday, at 10:30am. I'm still thinking it will be RMC's 1st Steel Coaster. The only way it can't be Steel with a pricetag that high is if it's the longest "Terrain Coaster" ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TolqBDMf1ZU&feature=youtu.be

Now that I've read up on speculation, I actually doubt it will be a steel coaster. The "first launching wooden coaster" gimmick is a huge marketing advantage and they're probably going to use Topper track like on Outlaw run IMO.

I just don't see how can a launch system can add 10+ mil to the price of an RMC. Especially if it's built on a hillside without a massive support structure like say "Goliath". Where is that other 10+ million going? RMC has stated numerous times that they are going to build Steel Coasters, that's the only thing that makes sense with such a high pricetag.

I'm hearing rumours that it's going to be extensively long, perhaps even going after "The Beast's" record. I do agree that $20 mill is crazy but I really believe it's going to be the worlds first launching woodie; anyway, we'll see tomorrow at 10:30

Either way, it sounds like it's going to be awesome. RMC has posted some recent shot's of them working on "bending wood" for a Custom with Topper Track at their Factory. That may be for it. But in a few interviews they have stated they are evetually going into Steel Coasters also. But whatever it is, it will be BIG, to fill that new Resort that Dollywood just opened.

No, it's not all Steel. In this case they are putting the I-Box Track on Wood cross secton's that will rest on the Steel support's. This may be how they do conversion's that have Steel support's, i think this is the first one they have done like this. Here's the link from KK's site with the info.

http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/comingsoon/storm-chaser/

• Like 1

I also like how there are none, it's more "old school" and rely's on speed and the just the sheer size of it. The element's it does have are huge, and i love after the launch, you get a "pop" of airtime before the massive first drop's airtime. I can just imagine how the back row is going be. This even look's to de-throne "El Toro" as the reigning, wooden, "air-time" King.

The tophat thing is cool too. It was in the animation from an aerial view, no still of it unless someone got a screen grab. Your sideways, and have a little air-time "hump" while sideways for ejector air, but your not going up, your ejected sideways. That's never been done either.

I hope they post the full pov animation so I can really see where everything is. The lack of a shot that showed everything in detail makes me a bit confused about the order of elements, and a lot of people are also confused.