VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Lightning Rod at Dollywood

Railer

It took me quite a few times of watching the released vid, to figure most of it out. They don't really show the the break run, trans track, and station. And a few of the element's are really fast shot's of them. But there is a huge element that's the last one. It dives into the break run it look's like. I can't wait for the POV.

The tophat thing is cool too. It was in the animation from an aerial view, no still of it unless someone got a screen grab. Your sideways, and have a little air-time "hump" while sideways for ejector air, but your not going up, your ejected sideways. That's never been done either.

It was done on Outlaw Run:

silver_dollar_city_10_92.jpg

Also, here's the pic from Dollywood's website of it.

zHcs1gN.jpg

I was thinking that also looking at the other "topper track" coasters out there, i never really looked at Outlaw Run in great detail before besides some POV's. I think i like these alot better then "I-Box" as Traditional Wood Coasters. I think "I-Box" Coasters should be classified as "I-Box Coasters". They each have their own good quality's that are alot different from each other.

Dollywoods on its way to becoming a world class attraction!

I was just going to mention this. the past few years they have been pumping out amazing rides and even the addition of the hotel. Def turning into a major player, wish it was closer.\

1- that last section of the ride looks amazing.

2- that top hat element, once the train gets into the full sidewise transition, does it stay "level?'' or id there like a small "air time" hil built in? I cant tell from the pics, itshard to tell with the angles

Dolly actually made a comment in the "show" for the Coaster reveal that they are going thru the 300mil fast. I've never planned a trip for a Park, Dollywood would be worthy of my first one with the new resort, and "Lightning Rod". I have to look into room prices and all.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHlbR53M5N5/?igshid=np7m62twvvel

Per “Lloyd” at our Q&A session, Lightning Rod will become a hybrid version of topper track and I-box track in 2021. This move will make the coaster much more reliable and improve maintenance issues going forward. The layout will remain the same with no changes."