VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Lack of staff

THRASHERS35

Yesterday we went up for a trip to hurricane harbor and it was closed so we pulled up to the theme park toll plaza and we were told it was closed for not enough employees, and the theme park was understaffed and the staff they had were extremely rude. I just got back from a 3 day trip to Hershey park and they are much nicer.

Staff always gets tight this time of year. I have been wondering how things will be for HITP with staffing though. I have a couple buddies that have been full-time employee's in the warehouse for like 20yrs, they are not crazy about the longer season now, they collect for the couple month's they get "laid-off" during the Winter.

Yesterday we went up for a trip to hurricane harbor and it was closed so we pulled up to the theme park toll plaza and we were told it was closed for not enough employees, and the theme park was understaffed and the staff they had were extremely rude. I just got back from a 3 day trip to Hershey park and they are much nicer.

I went to the park yesterday. When I went through the metal detector they made me take my belt off even though it didn't beep with my belt on. Then I went on Congo Rapids and I almost got kicked off because I didn't bring my shoes on so they dont get soaked.

Staff always gets tight this time of year. I have been wondering how things will be for HITP with staffing though. I have a couple buddies that have been full-time employee's in the warehouse for like 20yrs, they are not crazy about the longer season now, they collect for the couple month's they get "laid-off" during the Winter.

So essentially they are mad because they have to work for the money instead of being home doing nothing collecting unemployment lol

Cant say I blame them. I would be a bit crabby having to do that after the past 20 years of having that time off

^^ Pretty much lol. After all that time you get used to a routine when it's year in, year out. I think they are still getting their normal time off anyway, i know they have alot of seniority. I haven't talked to them since back in April, have to see. But i'm not really sure how the Park is set up with seniority, and the "off-season" layoff's. I never worked for Six Flags, almost did as a VIP Guide (well, Guest Relations, just to be on the Guide rotation) but i took a "core" job on a TV show instead.

And i HATE having to take a belt off. Some Guard's say you do, some don't. The newer, younger Guard's are the ones that usually will make you take it off. I think it's part, "scared of getting in trouble because it is policy", and part "superiority complex" because for the 1st time in there life they have some authority. The older, more seasoned Guard's don't bother with them unless you set the detector off. Always try to go in the first group of Gates to the right (the exit side) the older Guard's are usually working that Gate.

Edited by Railer

I've noticed that they always start with the belt thing around this time every year. I haven't had to take my belt off the entire season except for my most recent two visits. (And this belt never sets off the detector)

The first time, he even made me go back through the metal detector after taking off my belt. If it didn't beep the first time, is removing a chunk of metal going to set it off??????? They said it's to make sure you're not hiding anything in the belt, but seriously.. why aren't they checking pockets then?

Anyway, to the topic. They have been very understaffed with most employees going back to school. Most coasters haven't had entrance workers the past few days. Higher-up people have been working rides. They have a bunch of employees from SFA up here helping during the week. Hurricane Harbor was supposed to be open this week, but they just can't physically do it.

I hope everyone is nice to the staff and can sympathize with them. They're working longer and harder than their usual already rigorous workload.

Edited by Matt Kaiser

It's been a stressful few weeks, we are so understaffed we have no ride entrances anymore. After school every day this week i have a 4-11 shift right after a 7-1:30 school day, rides people are very nice people but if we are little cranky it's because we like never have time to rest, once weekends only roll around we should be good again.

not sure if its true, but i hear the ride greeters (if that what they are called, im not sure but im talking about the people who stand at the front of the que and tell people wait times) were not stationed to any rides the past few days do to the under staffing issue

It's been a stressful few weeks, we are so understaffed we have no ride entrances anymore.

If they weren't running the pre-show, I would probably take advantage of the opportunity and ride TDK a few times that day. I like the coaster but usually only ride it once a trip (unless the station is empty and can get a re-ride) because I don't want to watch the pre-show each time.

I went to the park yesterday, they were not doing the pre show for TDK..it was just walk through to the station. It was really strange not to see greeters/attendants at a few of the rides... Skull Mountain sticks out in my mind because they always hassle you about any loose articles worse than other rides. Nobody as there. It was odd. They were short handed all over the place too. The park as dead though so it was fine. Walk-ons to most things and rerides all over the place. It was picking up a smidge as we were leaving around 430, but still no where near as busy as I've seen. It was a great day to go, we enjoyed it!

Edited by fetish911