VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #32: To Superhero or Not To Superhero?

To Superhero or Not to Superhero  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on using Superheroes and related characters as ride names and themes?

• Wonderful! Keep them coming!
    • Good - in moderation.
    • OK - if it makes sense for a particular ride or area.
    • Please stop! Enough is enough!
    • Yuck! Not in my park.
    • I really don't care what they call them as long as they are good rides.

Voted "OK - if it makes sense for a particular ride or area" simply for the fact if all superhero rides are condensed, it flows and gives the park structure. As for our park right now, I would vote "please stop" if it was an option because they are way to scattered and don't contribute to any theme or flow.

I voted for good in moderation. I liked how we had Batman the Ride, Superman Ultimate Flight and even The Dark Knight but after that I feel like it's been too much with Bizarro, Green Lantern, Joker and now Blackbeard's getting re-themed. If the park gets a Justice League ride, that will be yet another Superhero ride although I won't mind that since the park doesn't have a traditional style dark ride. If you count the re-themes, that is 5 Superhero coasters in 8 years.

At this point, i wish Great Adventure would try to theme everything like they did El Toro. Not meaning specifically a Spanish bull theme, but tastefully done with some light thematic aspects that is cohesive and presented well. It looks natural and isn't obnoxious or out of place like some of the other rides approach.

• Like 1

I voted for I don't care as long as they're good, because for me it's the truth. The days of Great Adventure having a cohesive theme are long gone; DC themed rides in non-DC areas of the park just isn't worth getting annoyed over IMO.

Edited by gencx

Good in moderation. SF is an amusement park before it is theme park, however it DOES contain more theming than a chain like CF does. And licensed characters, such as DC characters, are very easy to build a solid-quality theme around due to the cartoonish nature of the material. You'll notice SF's best themed rides are often comic book related, while often times the non-super hero rides are generically themed without much focus or imagination (Goliath, Titan, Full Throttle, Total Mayhem, etc...). Also, with the massive jump in popularity comic books have seen via cinema, they are highly marketable and relevant on a global level, with dozens of new comic book movies on the horizon for years to come. That is a huge selling point for the GP, and with DC expanding their cinematic universe with characters like Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman, I feel it won't simply be Batman and Superman (and their villains) being the centerpiece of ride themes in the upcoming years.

My gripe with our park in particular is these super hero rides are spread out amongst every corner of the park. I feel this kills the integrity of the non-related themed lands half of them are situated in. If from Movietown to the Joker was rethemed to Gotham City, Bizarro was rethemed to a non-comic book ride, and the end of the Boardwalk was a small DC Land, it would greatly improve the cohesiveness of the park's theming. With Bizarro in particular I have no idea what the park was thinking.

Edited by Nitro1118

I was like "OK" because the other Bizzaro is called Superman again so its possible Great Adventure could do the same (like Medusa: The Revenge or Scream) but I thin the future of Great Adventure is the Super Hero theme; not so much a Magic Mountain of the East

I said ok if it makes sense. I do like the idea of Superhero named rides as it makes for great themes. The best themed roller coasters have been for Superheroes. I love Bizarro's theme with the fire, mist, and so on, it's one of my favorite themed rides. The Dark Knight is great (when everything is working like it should). My problem is that it really doesn't make sense. Batman and TDK next to each other is awesome, makes that section great, sticking with one theme. Superman and Green Lantern somewhat make sense, I mean they are both superheroes but still not related though. Bizarro and Superman next to each other, now that makes sense and would be very cool. And now with The Joker, it is randomly placed. If it was in Movie town, then Movie town would be the best themed section of the park. I have no problem with superhero named rides, in fact, I like them, but it needs to make sense with the section of the park it is in.

Not just STOP, but UNDUE! It's just way too much already. Change Movie Town, which never made any sense anyway, into a superhero themed area and put them all there. Theme BIZARO western, as they should have done. Theme the new coaster to either blend with Dream Street or give the Lakefront an actual theme, but for God's sake, not superhero!

I just don't understand why everything in the park has to be themed to comic book characters. They don't fit anywhere in the park, let alone everywhere. If they find it so necessary to have them, make a superhero section in the park and put them all there. This idea of throwing them all over the park is silly.

What I would do is make Movietown "Gotham City" and the back end of Boardwalk "DC Universe". Each could be a well themed section with a couple of more flats and a bigger attraction (batman dueler, JL dark ride). Then they could retheme Joker, Harley Quinn, and Bizarro away from DC and all the superhero rides would make sense in their locations. Yes this would take up two themed areas but it would work, and help the other areas that currently have DC rides get better theming.

In my opinion I think they are good but not the way we have them... Great Adventure is not the best at theming imo which plays into this. If they had rides named after related superheros in a certain area, and themed it to that, I think that it would of worked well. I do not like having the superhero rides just sprinkled around, and though they are clustered, the theming does not reflect that.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think with the endless number of superhero movies scheduled to come out over he next few years, people are going to OD on them and their popularity will begin to decline. That's one of the reasons I think Disney's redo of the Tower of Terror is a bad idea. It is like when several years back every studio started pumping out animated films at the same time and saturated audiences to the point were none of them seemed special for awhile.

• Like 1

I think with the endless number of superhero movies scheduled to come out over he next few years, people are going to OD on them and their popularity will begin to decline. That's one of the reasons I think Disney's redo of the Tower of Terror is a bad idea. It is like when several years back every studio started pumping out animated films at the same time and saturated audiences to the point were none of them seemed special for awhile.

I know it's getting to be more and more superhero movies and TV shows but they have been happening since 2000 now and it has shown no signs of dying down at the box office as long as the movies are done well. It's the ones that are garbage that flop, like the last fantastic four and Spider-Man movies