VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

SeaWorld ends all orca breeding

jdc12192

image_1382.jpeg

Overview

Last Generation Educational Encounters

We’re making historic announcements at SeaWorld, including ending orca breeding, introducing new, inspiring and natural orca encounters, and launching new partnerships to protect oceans and marine animals. We’re creating a new vision for SeaWorld that will help us deliver on our mission that every guest who walks through our doors will be inspired to take action to help protect wild animals and wild places.

When SeaWorld opened its doors more than 50 years ago, killer whales were feared and even hunted. Now, they are among the most beloved marine mammals on the planet thanks, in part, to the inspirational encounters we’ve provided to more than 400 million guests.

The new vision for SeaWorld reflects changes in society and SeaWorld’s evolution with those changes, including ending killer whale breeding, new inspiring natural orca encounters, and new partnerships to protect oceans and marine animals.

While these decisions represent a shift in our business, they do not change our core values and purpose: to protect animals in the wild and inspire our guests to join us in this critical mission.

SeaWorld President & CEO Joel Manby talks about these historic announcements in a letter to the Los Angeles Times.

Last generation of killer whales

The killer whales in our care will be the last at SeaWorld. We haven’t taken a whale from the wild in nearly 40 years. Now, we’re going further and will end our orca breeding programs as of today. With the skills and dedication of our entire SeaWorld team, we will protect and care for these whales – here at our parks – for the rest of their lives where guests will continue to view and be inspired by them.

New, inspiring, natural orca encounters rather than theatrical shows

We will introduce new, inspiring, natural orca encounters rather than theatrical shows, as part of our ongoing commitment to education, marine science research and the rescue of marine animals. Everything will reflect the natural world and will focus on the research, education, care and respect that align with our mission to advance the well-being and conservation of these beautiful creatures. These programs will focus on orca enrichment, exercise and overall health, and the change will start in our San Diego park next year, followed by San Antonio and then Orlando in 2019.

New partnership to protect oceans and marine mammals

We are pleased that the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) supports the changes we announced today. These two leading organizations are coming together for an agreement that will further both groups’ missions. SeaWorld and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) are joining together in a partnership focused on the health of our oceans and the animals that call them home. HSUS and SeaWorld have common ground, in that both of our organizations love animals and want to protect them. The partnership helps each group extend its own mission and is based on their joint interest in preserving and protecting wild animals and the places they live. The issues around animal conservation and protection are much bigger than any one organization, and we can be much stronger together.

Source and more info

Its a shame Blackfish has made SeaWorld as a company get to this point. Now the Blue World project won't be happening and they will just be changing their current enclosures. I can't seem to grasp why activists are only targeting whales. If they're against captivity then they should be going after and fighting for all animals, not just the whales.

I can't seem to grasp why activists are only targeting whales. If they're against captivity then they should be going after and fighting for all animals, not just the whales.

Give them time, they will work their way right around the park. No pun intended, but they are just going after the big fish first.

Give them time, they will work their way right around the park. No pun intended, but they are just going after the big fish first.

Wouldn't be surprised! They got what they wanted and feel powerful so now they're gonna try and keep that power going.

And, that's exactly what's happening. This is an evolution over time, with the shows changing into educational presentations. Eventually as the orcas die off they will most likely end up in a single park (probably Orlando since we have the largest of the pools).

And, that's exactly what's happening. This is an evolution over time, with the shows changing into educational presentations. Eventually as the orcas die off they will most likely end up in a single park (probably Orlando since we have the largest of the pools).

Doh, I completely missed that part. I think it's a really good move. The public perception has been so bad for them since blackfish that they basically had no choice but to give in.

I was last there in 2011 and didn't enjoy the shows much, just did nothing for me as I would much rather just see the animals in their own environments.

Edited by SatansHockey

Our home park has a zoo bigger than the rest of the park that these guys could have easily went after, not to mention the thousands of actual zoos OR the zoo park IN THE SAME TOWN AS SEA WORLD ORLANDO. It baffles me that these guys went after Sea World when all they have is a few whales that they take good care of.

Our home park has a zoo bigger than the rest of the park that these guys could have easily went after, not to mention the thousands of actual zoos OR the zoo park IN THE SAME TOWN AS SEA WORLD ORLANDO. It baffles me that these guys went after Sea World when all they have is a few whales that they take good care of.

Six Flags doesn't trap most of our animals in tiny rooms. Most of the animals at our park are allowed to run around and do whatever they want. I'm SO happy that Seaworld isn't allowed to breed or take any more whales anymore, and I'm so happy we tore down our Dolphin stadium. Don't worry, we'll get around to the other animals: Ringling Bros. circus elephants to retire in May - USA Today

The whales at SeaWorld have very small tanks. They are meant to swim miles a day to be happy and that is impossible with a tank that small. It's inhumane to keep animals that big in such a small confinement. I am glad that SeaWorld has finally stopped Orca breeding but this is still is and always will be on the list of places I will never visit.

Six Flags doesn't trap most of our animals in tiny rooms. Most of the animals at our park are allowed to run around and do whatever they want. I'm SO happy that Seaworld isn't allowed to breed or take any more whales anymore, and I'm so happy we tore down our Dolphin stadium. Don't worry, we'll get around to the other animals: Ringling Bros. circus elephants to retire in May - USA Today

I agree. The animals at Great Adventure are well cared for and have pretty big exhibits to do as they please.

The whales at SeaWorld have very small tanks. They are meant to swim miles a day to be happy and that is impossible with a tank that small. It's inhumane to keep animals that big in such a small confinement. I am glad that SeaWorld has finally stopped Orca breeding but this is still is and always will be on the list of places I will never visit.

Yea, even though they're "phasing out" the shows and stopping their breeding program, they still have the whales in captivity which means I'm still against them. So glad I'm not the only one on this forum who doesn't like Seaworld.

Not trying to pick a fight if it comes across that way, I'm just trying to hear and understand the other side of things.

Being that you don't believe in whales under human care(or seaworld in general)do you also not believe in other animals under human care or other facility's with animals?

I'm only asking because like in my earlier posts, focus seems to be on the whales and not other animals and I'm just trying to understand why some people view certain animals as OK and some as not.

Not trying to pick a fight if it comes across that way, I'm just trying to hear and understand the other side of things.

Being that you don't believe in whales under human care(or seaworld in general)do you also not believe in other animals under human care or other facility's with animals?

I'm only asking because like in my earlier posts, focus seems to be on the whales and not other animals and I'm just trying to understand why some people view certain animals as OK and some as not.

I care about all animals. I don't think anybody who is against Seaworld, supports any animal captivity. If it were up to us, I'm pretty sure we'd have all of the animals where they're supposed to be. Unless of course an animal is hurt and needs to be in human care, or something along that line. And I think the focus is on the whales because of the problems they're having with being in such small tanks, collapsed fins, mental damage, killing people, etc, and that they're such large animals. Whales need huge open water, and I don't think any fish tank can replicate that.

Edited by YoungPup

Animal captivity is fine if it is in the animals best benefit if they are injured, endangered, or for some other reason that requires them to need to protected and cared for by humans. An animal as big as a whale is certainly not meant to be living in captivity in a tank so small and we have already seen the harm it has done to them like YoungPup just mentioned. Places like large aquariums where they get their fish for the purpose of profit is not right, but a place like Popcorn Park zoo, a wildlife refuge, is a great and important place. Point is, there are good zoos and bad zoos. Also, I will say that Orcas are not the only problem at Seaworld, just the worst one.

Edited by SFGadv123
  • Like 1

Have any of you had a hamster or a dog or a cat?

Those animals are much smaller than whales are, but they also need large areas when they are in the wild. Hamsters especially, in proportion to their size, require a space more than four square miles. If you had a hamster or a cat or a dog and kept them in the house or in a cage in your house, do you feel like they were being mistreated or they had bad lives? It's the same situation with the whales at SeaWorld. They lead good lives and have the best care, exercise, attention and everything else they could need. They are not abused or mistreated (despite what animal rights groups would have you believe).

Orcas are becoming increasingly endangered in the wild due to overfishing by humans and depleting their food supply, as well as environmental hazards like plastics and pollution. SeaWorld does more to help endangered species and rescuing animals than ANY of the animal rights groups fighting and protesting them.

Don't believe everything from PETA or any other animal rights organization. They are professional fund raising organizations and have created a BIG business from protesting SeaWorld. Also don't believe Blackfish. The film was a distortion of the truth and had an agenda. The "experts" they got for the film were quite often disgruntled former employees who misrepresent their knowledge and expertise.

As for the profit motive, don't be deceived. PETA's plan that they want SeaWorld to go with is that SeaWorld pays to build sea pens (which would put the orcas in a dangerous situation) and then PETA would charge tourists to see the whales in those sea pens (raising money for themselves). The majority of the 29 whales in SeaWorld's care were born in captivity (they have not captured a whale in the wild for almost 40 years) and cannot be released into the wild because they are dependent on human care. The staff at SeaWorld knows and loves these animals and would not keep doing this if they didn't believe in what SeaWorld does (working for the park doesn't pay that well).

If anyone has a right to be upset with SeaWorld's care of whales, it is the family of Dawn Brancheau, the trainer killed by Tillikum. They completely support SeaWorld and their care of orcas despite the loss of their daughter. She believed in SeaWorld's work which has lead to insights in marine mammals that really can't be done in the wild as well as their mission to educate through entertainment and make connections with the natural world.

• Like 5

The staff at SeaWorld knows and loves these animals and would not keep doing this if they didn't believe in what SeaWorld does (working for the park doesn't pay that well).

Domesticated animals are not the same as wild ones. And it seems like you haven't seen Blackfish, because former workers explain why they stayed.

Her (Dawn) family has praised Blackfish saying that they were "grateful" that the film brought attention to the problems of keeping orcas in captivity.

Please check your facts before trying to debate.

Domesticated animals are not the same as wild ones. And it seems like you haven't seen Blackfish, because former workers explain why they stayed.

Please check your facts before trying to debate.

They're wild yes but also a generations born in captivity. You lrelease them out in the wild and theh simply die. They don't know anything but the life they have.

I suggest you look into blackfish before believing anything in the "film'' because you will find out things about those employes as well as other exaggerations that the propaganda -blackfish- calls facts.

Orcas are becoming increasingly endangered in the wild due to overfishing by humans and depleting their food supply, as well as environmental hazards like plastics and pollution. SeaWorld does more to help endangered species and rescuing animals than ANY of the animal rights groups fighting and protesting them.

As for the profit motive, don't be deceived. PETA's plan that they want SeaWorld to go with is that SeaWorld pays to build sea pens (which would put the orcas in a dangerous situation) and then PETA would charge tourists to see the whales in those sea pens (raising money for themselves). The majority of the 29 whales in SeaWorld's care were born in captivity (they have not captured a whale in the wild for almost 40 years) and cannot be released into the wild because they are dependent on human care. The staff at SeaWorld knows and loves these animals and would not keep doing this if they didn't believe in what SeaWorld does (working for the park doesn't pay that well).

It's not like they are saving them from the wild though. They have been breeding them for the last 40 years since they stopped capturing them. Also I would mention that their breeding program is not good for the whales. I am aware they cannot be released into the wild anymore but we wouldn't be having this problem if they didn't continue the breeding, which was done for no other reason other than profit. Now I am not saying the whales are treated badly or anything but like I said these whales are not meant to be in captivity and the effects of that have been shown in their behavior.

And I am well aware to be skeptical of PETA and other organizations like that that stretch the truth and I also know that Blackfish is also not entirely true. But that doesn't change the fact that whales were never meant to be in captivity.

I am aware they cannot be released into the wild anymore but we wouldn't be having this problem if they didn't continue the breeding, which was done for no other reason other than profit.

I'm sure profit is obviously the large motive behind breeding, but as GACoaster pointed out, it helps continue scientific research as well. Some people are even upset with SeaWorld's decision to stop breeding because of the negative effect it will have on research. Just saying, profit wasn't the only reason.

Edited by Matt Kaiser

I'm sure profit is obviously the large motive behind breeding, but as GACoaster pointed out, it helps continue scientific research as well. Some people are even upset with SeaWorld's decision to stop breeding because of the negative effect it will have on research. Just saying, profit wasn't the only reason.

How could they do research on a wild animal, that isn't in the wild? Seaworld has lied and said its normal for Orcas to have collapsed dorsal fins, and they've said the average life of an orca is __ amount of years (decades shorter than orcas in the wild).

They're wild yes but also a generations born in captivity. You lrelease them out in the wild and theh simply die. They don't know anything but the life they have.

I suggest you look into blackfish before believing anything in the "film'' because you will find out things about those employes as well as other exaggerations that the propaganda -blackfish- calls facts.

I suggest you do a bit of research before telling someone else to do research http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-02-26/news/os-big-animals-big-cages-20100226_1_iceland-coast-orca-network-killer-whales

Killer whales EXPERTS say to release tillikum. It's not a guarantee he'll survive, but it's also not a guarantee he'll die.

I know my facts, please make sure you know the REAL facts and not just what animal rights groups and Blackfish claim to be facts.

Link where her family says they support seaworld (in the past 3 years). The family said Dawn wouldn't have worked there if the whales weren't taken care of (they did not work there, therefore they cannot comment on the whales care) and they said they're grateful for the movie showing the whale's welfare.

Edited by YoungPup

Calm down YoungPup. Calm down.

How am I any less calm than Jdc? 2 people have told me to do research, pretty much saying I don't know what I'm talking about. I've done extensive research, and I know what I'm talking about. And since I was on mobile, it would have been too hard to edit one post and add all the responses, but I'll do that now.

Edited by YoungPup

How could they do research on a wild animal, that isn't in the wild? Seaworld has lied and said its normal for Orcas to have collapsed dorsal fins, and they've said the average life of an orca is __ amount of years (decades shorter than orcas in the wild).

I'm not a marine researcher, but I imagine it's a lot easier to study a whale in captivity compared to in the wild, especially for studies that require physical contact with the whale. It's not the ideal condition/environment to study them in, but I assume it's the best option humans have to study them. If studying them in the wild was cheap and easy, scientists wouldn't be relying on SeaWorld for research. The reason those killer whale experts are experts is most likely in part to knowledge gained from research at SeaWorld.