VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Redoing Kingda Ka

I was thinking about things I would do if I ran the park and one idea came up. Would it be possible for them to change or add to Kingda Ka? With the new PolerCoaster coming soon, Kingda Ka will be out of records... What if the park were to add to it... build up a little more... I know that is extremely unlikely and won't happen, but is it physically possible?

First off, while there are plans for the Poler Coaster, it's not a done deal yet (I doubt it will ever get built).

Second, yes, I believe they could modify Kingda Ka, but it wouldn't be to make it any higher. That would be too costly and nearly impossible. If it was my decision, I would instead plus Kingda Ka by taking all that speed and energy and building a longer course for it to run through. Something more like a supersized version of Storm Runner with a decent length of track and multiple elements.

• Like 1

It's impossible to make it taller without redoing the entire ride. The transition upwards is engineered to be traversed within a few mph of its top speed. The launch track is only long enough to bring the trains to its top speed. The pullout is too sharp for anything faster, just like the transition upwards. The spiral is too tight faster than 128 mph at launch. The brakes are only capable of stopping from a certain speed, so much faster and it would have to be redone.

There are infinite factors that would make it so that essentially only the station can be reused. I don't think people realize how much engineering work goes into the design of roller coasters.

• Like 1

I think the only time they had to change it was for 2011 with the removal of GASM and they could have just saved Green Lantern till 2012 and put in Chillers area and theme it to Poison Ivy, Nitro to Riddler, and Rapids to Penguin

Green Lantern till 2012 and put in Chillers area and theme it to Poison Ivy, Nitro to Riddler, and Rapids to Penguin

That would've been horrible. That would've been such a wasted spot considering there's barely ever a line for GL, so that area would still be just as empty as it is now.

• Like 1

That would've been horrible. That would've been such a wasted spot considering there's barely ever a line for GL, so that area would still be just as empty as it is now.

Still, it would've paved the way for new flats and possibly a new/refurbished Old Country. However, a Kingda Ka extension would be too costly and I doubt the park will try to extend it in the future. I am hoping for soft restraints or new trains, though.

I have brought this topic up in the past. I always thought it would be cool to ad to the layout after the train comes down from the tower. Like mentioned make it like storm runner. Could be like a storm runner/ millennium force hybrid

I have brought this topic up in the past. I always thought it would be cool to ad to the layout after the train comes down from the tower. Like mentioned make it like storm runner. Could be like a storm runner/ millennium force hybrid

Except storm runner is half the height, and much much slower.

• 1 month later...

So can KK get these new "soft" harnesses like Storm Runner and Fahrenheit have received?

This was asked to Fitzgerald during a Q&A session. He said he'll have SF engineer, Larry Chickola, look into it. He explained that it's not that simple of a change since something like that changes the physics of how your body can move in the restraint. Hopefully we see the switch.

• 3 weeks later...

If anything about KK needs to be redone, it's the queue. Overgrown with weeds and poison ivy, poor lighting, too many wide spots that make line cutting easy, very little theming, etc.