VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Lets talk about Kingda Ka,

Mrpq

I never really thought about that. Very interesting. When I visited SFNE they definitely had some coasters towards the middle. And my wife watched me ride several of them.

Most parks have coasters within the park, even very commonly traveling over guest walkways. (I think the only areas this happens at GAdv is for RMT, El Toro, and Bizarro, and it's very brief.)

It's something I noticed back when I was a kid playing Roller Coaster Tycoon and Great Adventure was really the only park I had been to. I realized every coaster I built was isolated, fenced in, and on the outskirts of the park. It was something I must have unknowingly learned from Great Adventure. I believe it wasn't until I went to Hershey that I realized every park isn't like that. Almost all of Hershey's coasters travel over guest walkways at some point and are not separate, contained lots of land like at Great Adventure.

Think about it.. Bizarro, Green Lantern, Superman, Batman, Nitro, Joker, and Ka all have clearly outlined lots of land, with nothing else inside them. Other parks have coasters traveling over walkways, through other rides, traversing parts of the park essentially. (And obviously TDK and SM as well, but those are a given and are excusable since the intent is to keep them contained to a small footprint)

That's my point; Red Force takes over 1 second longer than Ka to go 15mph less than Ka. The length of KK's launch track was designed for it to go 128mph in roughly 4 seconds, not 128mph in 6 seconds. I don't know if it would even be possible. And let's say it is...why downgrade to a less intense launch? LSM's are more reliable than hydraulics, but they are still faulty. And KK is actually relatively reliable, especially compared to TTD. It's like asking to replace Toro's cable lift with a chain since chain lifts are more reliable. To me, that would take away a bit from the experience, and KK downgrading to LSM's would be even more dramatically disappointing.

This is definitely true, but I disagree on the idea that KK is more reliable than TTD. Now in all fairness I have only been to GA and CP each two times. But both times at GA, KK loading cycles we're slow and it Broke down more than once while we were wating in line. On the other hand besides being closed for weather, TTD was always open and running at max efficiency.

This is definitely true, but I disagree on the idea that KK is more reliable than TTD. Now in all fairness I have only been to GA and CP each two times. But both times at GA, KK loading cycles we're slow and it Broke down more than once while we were wating in line. On the other hand besides being closed for weather, TTD was always open and running at max efficiency.

As Coasterbill at TPR put it in his TR today, TTD is "the 420ft tower of downtime." TTD notoriously has pretty bad reliability. It is generally a complaint you hear for TTD moreso than KK. Also, TTD is much more prone to rollbacks than KK, where it is a pretty rare occurrence.

I do agree about capacity, though. Zumanjaro really killed KK's capacity.

KK dispatch is a crawl compared to TTD. I think they should have kept the same station design for KK that they used on TTD. TTD set up works why change it At least when I was CP standing in line before the ride broke the trains where being sent out constantly. As I mentioned I didn't get to ride TTD a few weeks ago, we had bad luck. When it was open we where in line and it broke down each time before we got to ride. I also think TTD and KK roll back procedures are different. I think when TTD rolls back it just rolls back and rests and they go again. On KK it rolls back than they bring you back into the station, you get off and they test the ride

I think NJ stepped in and said "hold on wait a min, yeahhhh...no"

NJ doesn't seem to be very fun to deal with. Their rules seem to be over the top compared to other states. Hell, Phoenix at Knobbles doesn't even have gates between the people waiting in the station and the train, you just stand behind the yellow line. That wouldn't fly in NJ

Edited by Mrpq

NJ doesn't seem to be very fun to deal with. Their rules seem to be over the top compared to other states. Hell, Phoenix at Knobbles doesn't even have gates between the people waiting in the station and the train, you just stand behind the yellow line. That wouldn't fly in NJ

Not to get political, but NJ is a typical overtly liberal state in the northeast that loves its over-regulation.

• Like 1

That's good to hear you tried it, did you like the coaster?

It's amazing what Knoebels gets away with (and I like the park for that). No gates, no seatbelts on Phoenix and Twister or most other flat rides and ride operators not even checking to make sure the belts are buckled.

That's good to hear you tried it, did you like the coaster?

It's amazing what Knoebels gets away with (and I like the park for that). No gates, no seatbelts on Phoenix and Twister or most other flat rides and ride operators not even checking to make sure the belts are buckled.

I remember Steel Force not having gates at Dorney a long time ago.

Knoebels Campsite Entrance has no entrance or security period. You just walk in and bang, you can be riding Phoenix. There's not even security getting on to the property.