VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Lets talk about Kingda Ka,

Mrpq

I was going to post this in the Misc Mumbling thread but I figured we could make it its own thing.

So Kingda Ka, lets face it, she is showing her age. Not even that old at only 12/13 years, she has seen better days. Some things have crossed my mind about how the ride can be improved, both for rider enjoyment and reliability and up keep for the park.

1- Why hasn't the park looked into to the newer soft style OTSR like on Maverick and Storm Runner.

2- Lets face it the ride launch tech is old compared to todays standards. Intamin has now made launch coasters with their version of the LIM system and from what I can tell they seem to be performing very well. This leads me to thinking it could be worth up grading they launch system (id say do this on TTD as well) Would it be worth the money to do this up grade if it is possible? It might not be cheap, but doesn't a more reliable system make it worth the price tag?

3- PAINT. For the love of God this thing needs paint( along with other rides in the park but that's a different story) TTD got painted last year and she looks BRAND NEW. KK is rusting real bad in spots and the job they did with attaching DOD to the tower might work in the physical sense but it looks like they rattle caned the welds and paid a 5 year old to do the job

Do we think this is a coaster that might find its way out of the park yet or do we think KK is hear to stay? I think KK needs to be brought back to her former glory, I think needs to focus less on buying more parks and focus on taking care of what they already have..... Quality over quantity is my rule of thumb

I disagree with your first two points. The vest-style ORSR's would benefit many Intamin coasters, but KK isn't one of them. It would SLIGHTLY improve the twisted drop but the ride really has no laterals that give the neck-chopping effect that was problematic with I305 and Maverick. As far as your 2nd point goes, going from hydraulic cable to LSM launch is a downgrade. LSM's are the older, less powerful technology, not vice versa like you seem to think. I don't even know if it would be possible to get the train to top.speed with LSM's and that length of launch track.

Your third point I definitely agree, although S:UF and Nitro need a paintjob worse than KK IMO.

The only thing I would consider is pushing for less bulky trains, which are the main reason the ride has such a bad shuffle. Lap bars would just be an added bonus although I doubt the state will allow it.

Red Force at Ferrari Land has the LIM system and gets to a speed of 111mph. I don't see why it couldn't get faster. You are right it might be a "newer" tech buts its a more reliable

That's my point; Red Force takes over 1 second longer than Ka to go 15mph less than Ka. The length of KK's launch track was designed for it to go 128mph in roughly 4 seconds, not 128mph in 6 seconds. I don't know if it would even be possible. And let's say it is...why downgrade to a less intense launch? LSM's are more reliable than hydraulics, but they are still faulty. And KK is actually relatively reliable, especially compared to TTD. It's like asking to replace Toro's cable lift with a chain since chain lifts are more reliable. To me, that would take away a bit from the experience, and KK downgrading to LSM's would be even more dramatically disappointing.

• Like 1

Nitro, Bizarro, and Superman should all be painted before KK. You don't see KK's track close up unless you ride it, but for the ones I mentioned, you don't even have to ride it to notice how badly they need to be painted. As for your other points, it's too costly to change the launch system. KK is still a popular ride and attracts many people all over the world. As long as it's current state still makes them money...

That's my point; Red Force takes over 1 second longer than Ka to go 15mph less than Ka. The length of KK's launch track was designed for it to go 128mph in roughly 4 seconds, not 128mph in 6 seconds. I don't know if it would even be possible. And let's say it is...why downgrade to a less intense launch? LSM's are more reliable than hydraulics, but they are still faulty. And KK is actually relatively reliable, especially compared to TTD. It's like asking to replace Toro's cable lift with a chain since chain lifts are more reliable. To me, that would take away a bit from the experience, and KK downgrading to LSM's would be even more dramatically disappointing.

ok you make fair points lol

Nitro, Bizarro, and Superman should all be painted before KK. You don't see KK's track close up unless you ride it, but for the ones I mentioned, you don't even have to ride it to notice how badly they need to be painted. As for your other points, it's too costly to change the launch system. KK is still a popular ride and attracts many people all over the world. As long as it's current state still makes them money...

Probably not Bizarro. It got it's repaint in 2009.

KK is rusting real bad in spots and the job they did with attaching DOD to the tower might work in the physical sense but it looks like they rattle caned the welds and paid a 5 year old to do the job

That's a scary thought - doesn't each weld have to pass inspection? Is it just a visual inspection or do they perform any x-ray tests on the welds?

I don't know what can be done about it but I would like to see the ride get back to how it was running when it was newer. I never had a problem riding in the last few rows or anywhere on the train from maybe 2008 when I first rode the coaster to up until a few years ago. Now, I will either try to get the 2nd or 3rd row which is uncomfortable but somewhat tolerable and will wait for the front if the line isn't too bad, since it is smoothest there.

I would like to see upgrades done to its queue. Its poorly lit at night and is getting overgrown with poison ivy. That is no way to have a queue, especially on a top major ride like KK.

I would like to see upgrades done to its queue. Its poorly lit at night and is getting overgrown with poison ivy. That is no way to have a queue, especially on a top major ride like KK.

Perhaps I am wrong, but like Conga Rapids, there really is no place to sit and observe KK from elsewhere in the park, within relatively close proximity. It seems the ride is very physically isolated, even hidden. Which is strange, considering how massive the ride is. You can barely see portions of the queue line, to even check what the wait is like.

They only way to get a real good look at the tower is to go walk down the line of DOD. Even ten its kinda eh. IM going to keep comparing to the TTD but the placement of TTD in CP is amazing great view of the launch, pretty much standing 5 feet away and you can pretty much go up and hug the tower supports

They only way to get a real good look at the tower is to go walk down the line of DOD. Even ten its kinda eh. IM going to keep comparing to the TTD but the placement of TTD in CP is amazing great view of the launch, pretty much standing 5 feet away and you can pretty much go up and hug the tower supports

Is there a reason SFGA built KK this way, or it was just the available land they had to construct it on.

Is there a reason SFGA built KK this way, or it was just the available land they had to construct it on.

Harry would know more, but it does seem to me that it's really in the most feasible location. With a fully developed park, it would be extremely difficult, time consuming, and expensive to clear enough space for Ka in any other area except on the outskirts. Plus, they added an entirely new themed section with the ride. I'm actually really curious as to how CP was able to fit TTD into the middle of the park.

Also, KK used to have a viewing area, along with a queue that went under the launch track and into the in-field. They closed it off after an accident.

Probably the only realistic spot they could have put it is where they did. Besides the fact there is not a single coaster that is located inside the park, they are all on the outskirts. The only coaster was inside the park was Chiller. I guess you can say the Dark night is also. and just to be clear by inside the park I mean that guest path would surround it in some shape or form

I'm actually really curious as to how CP was able to fit TTD into the middle of the park.

They filled in the lake/creak that used to be there. I think they used to have a boat ride on it.

If you look at the TTD location, the water that's there use to run where the station and launch/brake tracks are now. Iron dragon was basically on a piece of land they went out into the water

Frontier_Trail.jpg

Edited by Mrpq
  • Like 1

Probably the only realistic spot they could have put it is where they did. Besides the fact there is not a single coaster that is located inside the park, they are all on the outskirts. The only coaster was inside the park was Chiller. I guess you can say the Dark night is also. and just to be clear by inside the park I mean that guest path would surround it in some shape or form

I never really thought about that. Very interesting. When I visited SFNE they definitely had some coasters towards the middle. And my wife watched me ride several of them.

When they built Nitro, which has a massive footprint, did they use some land that was never developed before? That ride extends way out to the fringes of the park, where there certainly is no access for patrons to watch.