VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Orlando trip in April

dougdrummer

My family of four (wife and two daughters in 20s) will be attending the wedding of a friend's daughter in Orlando area in mid April.  We rented a large townhouse and will be making a full week of vacation down there.  The whole friend gang wants to get together and "drink around the world" at EPCOT one day.  We were at Disney less than 4 years ago, so I also want to check out Universal, which I've never been to (went to Universal California way back in 1983).  So I figure on visiting both parks at Universal.  The wife is fighting me on doing too many parks because she wants to hang out more at the resort we rented since there is so much to do there (pools, bars, lazy river, etc) and parks cost a lot of money.  I see Universal has a 4-day pass for around $230 (can only do one park per day).  That isn't much more expensive than 2 one-day passes.  Even if we hang out at the resort during the day, we could scoot over to the park in the late afternoon or evening for some park time.  Or I take one of my daughters and leave the wife at home.  ;)

Any suggestions based on your experience?

You'll probably find that you really enjoy Universal. It's very different than the Hollywood park and it's really more "adult" than Disney so I'm guessing your daughters will enjoy it. Since the parks are right next to each other it's really easy to park hop (compared to Disney) and the park to park ticket is worth it. You may be able to get discounted tickets through AAA.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr.Six said:

City-Walk at Universal is a nice place to chill after, during or before you go to the Universal Parks.  They have activities, a bunch of restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc.

I just want to explain this more since I didn't get it the first time I heard about it. CityWalk is the area outside the main gates of both parks, so it's free to walk around. Basically like Disney Springs, but with more energy. You just have to park, which is free after 6pm. It's a really cool place to visit at night.

23 minutes ago, Matt Kaiser said:

I just want to explain this more since I didn't get it the first time I heard about it. CityWalk is the area outside the main gates of both parks, so it's free to walk around. Basically like Disney Springs, but with more energy. You just have to park, which is free after 6pm. It's a really cool place to visit at night.

definitely putting CityWalk on my list!

And I'm anti-CityWalk.  You can do half that crap at any other tourist trap in the US, and some of it in your local mall.  Margarettaville?  There's one in every cruise port.  Bubba Gump's?  There's one in Times Square and I avoid it like the plague.

I'd go out and hit the Fun Spot off of I-Drive and ride White Lightning or to the one in Kissimmee and hit up Mine Blower.  You could probably do both, if you're ambitious.

1 hour ago, Lemur said:

I'd go out and hit the Fun Spot off of I-Drive and ride White Lightning or to the one in Kissimmee and hit up Mine Blower.  You could probably do both, if you're ambitious.

Also the two Fun Spot parks are about a half hour apart.

• 2 weeks later...