VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Fright Fest 2018

29yrswithaGApass

31 minutes ago, The Master said:

Anyone else think Deadman's Party is not as good this year?

I didn’t think it was as good as last year as well for some reason.  It might be the new cast.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the park today, (Oct 30th), and they werd already taking down Halloween decorations and replacing them with Christmas decorations while FF is still going on and before Halloween day! This is really stupid and in poor taste. 

Edited by The Master

The fake boarded up windows with skeletons climbing on them on the Loony Tunes shop were taken down and replaced with Christmas reefs. You could clearly see them while waiting for the park to open at the entrance gate. They also put up a lot of Christmas garland already too. 

This is my overall Fright Fest 2018 Review. Before I get started, I am being very particular here in order to show was I think can be improved: I want to emphasize that I loved the event this year and want it to continue to grow :) (that's my way of saying 'please do not get butthurt by any of this)

I went to Fright Fest three times, opening weekend, the following weekend, and the second weekend of October

As far as I could tell, as expected, the crowds grew as the event went on. 

I did all of the trails except for the mirror maze because for the first two visits, it was closed and not ready and the third visit the line was over an hour all night long

Some of you may have seen my terrible review for Dead Man's Party this year and, while I stand by it being the worst edition of the show that I can remember (for the last 5 years AT LEAST) it was not a horrific show. I think that the pyro was awesome this year compared to years past- the cast seemed to be excellent dancers but I think that this was a management error this year- songs were poorly chosen and the choreography given to the dancers seemed very weak and I think they could have handled more like in years past.

Moving on from DMP to the trails

Starting with the indoor ones, I will rate them out of 5 stars and a small review

The Manor: visited twice: same thing as years past, same props, same music, same 'backstory': not horrible, but for those who have been through it year after year, it is pretty stale: 2/5 stars

Fears: Visited 3 times: A MAJOR improvement over Total Darkness. I think it was the same path but you couldn't tell- I think the idea of this was cool and it was well executed: 3.5/5 stars

Big Top Terror: Visited 5 Times: This maze is more of a pleasure to look at than a true 'scare': I have noticed that if you go through after the Awakening it is better staffed and is much more fun: 3.5/5 stars

Outdoor Mazes

Aftermath: Visited 1 time: This felt changed up from last year but I don't know if it actually was: we enjoyed this maze very much but it was only open for our last visit :( 3.75/5 stars

Cell Block 6: Visited 2 times: I used to really like this maze but it feels very corny now: The music was more fun than scary and I just don't get scared much here: 2.5/5 stars

Wicked Woods: Visited 1 time: my group's favorite maze (my 2nd favorite): the same path but felt as if there were a lot more scare actors and the sets were awesome- they had a cool fog effect where fog covered your body from stomach down and there were actors hiding in the fog and they jumped up: most memorable scare in my opinion: 4.25/5 stars

Hell Fest: My favorite maze this year: same path as bloodshed but after watching the movie trailer, I really appreciated this maze: props to Six Flags and HellFest for coming together to make this excellent Haunt: probably won't return next year as it was to promote a movie, but I wouldn't be upset if they did more of these "from the movie" trails: 4.5/5 stars

Moving on to the scare zones:

Bloody Fountain: not many props, but there doesn't need to be; this is the center of the park and it works well exactly how it is with the spooky lighting and the amount of actors everywhere

Graveyard: Best themed scare zone but very understaffed: if they took 2-5 actors from Bloody Fountain and moved them here, both would feel complete

Demon District: the actors here are fun; cool entry portal; the lights should stay green as they have been; purple doesn't really do anything for the effect

CarnEvil: I feel like this zone used to be better because of the amount of actors they had; I like that they added those prop buildings but I didn't see them using them

Bone Butcher: The most pathetic scare zone ever: There is a maximum of three actors here at any given time; which is sad because there is so much potential: with the area being as well themed as it is, all they have to do is keep what they already have, bring back the entry portal sign, add 3-5 more actors, and spread the zone to end where the Mine Train is because right now it is very small and pathetic

Overall Review: I think that the scares improved but, unfortunately, the management failed in some areas. Staffing prevented a few of the haunts to be open until the second half of the event; if you cannot staff an event, get rid of trails altogether and use the extra staff to make the ones you have better. Also, as I mentioned, Dead Man's Party needs to get some better music and choreography- Unleashed was good this year and I enjoyed it so much I watched it 3 times throughout the event. If I were management, I would keep the following mazes: Aftermath, Wicked Woods, Fears, Big Top Terror, and Reflections OTD. The Manor needs an overhaul or theme change and HellFest will probably be removed or rethemed because of the movie being out of theaters. If this review sounds negative, I apologize. I want to emphasize that I LOVE Fright Fest. This is me being knit picky simply because if they solved these problems, there would be happier guests and even more repeat customers throughout the year. Looking forward to Holiday in the Park!

Edited by Louisatsweetlou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree that this year's DMP was the worst version of the show so far. Back in mid Oct at Dorney's Haunt, I overheard some people talking about FF at GADV. Basically they thought FF was not worth going to, especially after one of them said the haunted houses were an extra charge. Also, I believe HITP is having a negative effect on FF. The park can't have as elaborate Halloween decorating like back in the 90s because they have to quickly switch gears to Xmas. Though I think they do go overboard with the changeover, ie taking Halloween decorations down before the end of FF and putting garland  up during FF. Hershey also has Xmas light strings up during Halloween, but they only light up the orange and purple strings during Halliween. Then during Xmas they light up the other color strings along with the orange and purple ones. 

I think since Holiday in the Park started the decorations for Fright Fest have gotten better including new area portals, inflatables, and numerous props.  Up until then it was kind of the same old same old.  At least now we are seeing more and more new decor.

2018_10_08_IMG_6733%20copy.jpg

2018_10_08_IMG_6763%20copy.jpg

2018_10_08_IMG_6881%20copy.jpg

2018_10_08_IMG_6896%20copy.jpg

2017_09_23_IMG_4777%20copy.jpg

2016_10_22_IMG_0836%20copy.jpg

2016_09_17_IMG_0424%20copy.jpg

• Like 2

Back in the 90s, FF had quality and quanity with its decorations. I agree the quality has improved some this year, but the quanity keeps shrinking, which is also a problem at other parks. Through I think the giant jack in the boxes look pretty dorky rather than scary. For example, before the single grim reaper over the gates, the park used to have an army of skeletons, spider webs, warped iron fences, and a few monsters over the gates. 

Plus there are quite a few missed oppotunities the park could take advange of. Such as lighting the big wheel a spooky color, just put color lenses over the floodlights like Dorney and Universal does. Heck, Hershey lights up Storm Runner orange to red with occasional white strobing for a lightning effect.