VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Hersheypark, 4/13/19

Yoshi

I went to Hersheypark yesterday for Springtime In The Park.

There is a lot of construction at the entrance area. The old entrance area with the stores and Hersheypark Place restaurant are either demolished or blocked off. Now there is a path from Chocolate World with temporary stores that takes you to the temporary entrance that is close to where the carousel is. I had thought that metal detectors were going to be added this year but it was the same as past years, bag check with no metal detectors.

Although crowds were lower than I was expecting, lines were still long for some rides because Storm Runner, Fahrenheit and Sidewinder were closed all day and Skyrush had some downtime as well. Storm Runner has been having problems and it sounds like Fahrenheit and Sidewinder have yet to open for the season. The coasters were all running multiple trains, even Lightning Racer had all 4 trains running which was nice to see since it allowed the wait to be just a few minutes. Other closed rides were Reese's Triple Tower and Coal Cracker. Coal Cracker doesn't seem to run much in April and October even though the ride is scheduled to be open then. It would have been nice to have open yesterday with the temperature around 75 degrees.

Laff Trakk had the longest line in the park, it was an hour and 45 minute wait. A ride that only seats 4 people per car and has each car stop (unlike Wild Mouse) just isn't a good fit for a larger park like this. I would have rather seen them add a 2 track version like Winjas Phantasialand.

I stopped into the arcade and saw they had a lot of prizes that were items from the gift shops. The Hersheypark Coaster Hero glass I got had a $9.99 price sticker on it (and only cost $6 from playing games to win it). I'd like to see the arcades at Great Adventure offer Great Adventure themed prizes as well.

Reese's Cup Fusion construction is moving along. Some of the kiddie rides in the area near the ride are now themed to villains from the ride. I'm looking forward to the re-themed dark ride although I'd be surprised if it is as good as Justice League: Battle for Metropolis.

It was a fun trip to the park and I hope to visit again soon when hopefully Storm Runner and Fahrenheit are operating.

Ride Count:

Comet, 2x

sooperdooperlooper, 1x

Hershey Triple Tower, 2x

Trailblazer, 1x

Skyrush, 1x

Lightning Racer, 4x (2 laps on each track)

Great Bear, 2x

hptr9.JPG.ddf24ba3800ec7fb223b2949c6301d88.JPG

hptr8.JPG.df32007efa9d1cf864e2cbccceeb28a0.JPG

One of the few temporary stores in the new walkway.

hptr7.JPG.9e6313cd6e3055ce9cdef68485e1fce5.JPG

hptr6.JPG.49ca5a1cc0ea83ea0c340a9ec70fce5a.JPG

Temporary Entrance

hptr5.JPG.3edef564b191a72aae1496f652073320.JPG

The Christmas store moved from near the old park entrance to Midway America.

hptr3.JPG.0eaffaf5e83172449c108fc14af21b13.JPG

hptr2.JPG.26ca1d7227f34314b8edbcdef19c134d.JPG

hptr1.JPG.b9e77fcf6e48fb719d7db64d65532f76.JPG

• Like 1

Totally agree! The Randall Duell designed buildings of the entry plaza had charm and style. They went to great lengths to use the genuine materials. The renderings for the new entry plaza looks so generic in comparison.

It's sad, but it seems like it was a necessary change after the old entry was flooded several times in the past few years. The flood waters probably caused problems that needed to be addressed and they decided to just start from scratch and try to alleviate the flooding issues at the same time.

They probably do want to install improved flood controls as the entrance was at a low point. Also the old entrance was a bottleneck on busy days. Still it would be nice if they went with a better style for their new entrance than more plain factory. 

I usually don't get to the park until the afternoon so I don't have the chance to ride the coaster that often. It's fun and the glow theming is cool but not worth the wait it usually gets. I only have gotten 4 or 5 rides in around 25 visits to the park since it opened. I'm going to try to get to the park on a weekday when schools are still in session and the park is open until 10 pm and stay until closing. Maybe then I'll have a chance to get multiple rides in with no wait and a front row Storm Runner ride.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:21 PM, Medusa42 said:

You should see track for the B&M Hyper coaster arriving soon.  There is a bunch of brown track at Clermont Steel Fabricators right now.

I'll look forward to seeing the track arrive and seeing the construction in future visits. This is the most excited I have been for a new coaster being added to a park in at least 10 years.