VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Strobes Back on in Skull mountain

Sean O'Leary

Would these new "Elements" make you ride?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would these new "Elements" make you ride?

• YES!
    • NO :(

Today I decided to ride Skull Mountain. The ride had the strobes back on (not as many as when it first opened), it also played loud rock music, as well as a couple of other "spooky" style items.

What do you think, is it a reason to ride it again?

Edited by GAcoaster
Grammar

Most of those elements like the rock soundtrack and big pumpkin are not new they have been in Skull Mt since 1999, they were installed for that year's FF. The big mardi gra style skull guy was put in 2001. But most of it was not turned back on for years and they have been back on since TDK opened and I am glad the park did turn them back on / repaired them.

Edited by The Master

The coaster is fun and I was happy to see the strobes and other effects working this season. The ride was sorely missing stuff, and I think the Dark Knight was almost a wake-up call for the park on SM simply because it's tough to have such intricate time and theming put in on one ride, and have another one literally look like nothing more than a coaster in a box!

• 2 weeks later...
Most of those elements like the rock soundtrack and big pumpkin are not new they have been in Skull Mt since 1999, they were installed for that year's FF. The big mardi gra style skull guy was put in 2001. But most of it was not turned back on for years and they have been back on since TDK opened and I am glad the park did turn them back on / repaired them.

yes but when it first opened i rode it back in 1996 it didnt have all the elements it did today (or i dont remember being that many atleast) :Reaper2:

When Skull Mt first opened it had 2 blacklight tiki faces that were only lit very few times, they are still in there with the 1999 Halloween stuff. One of the tiki faces is across form the big skull guy on the back wall.

I remember the Tiki Faces to a certain degree since we rode it more frequently during it's first fews seasons. I am just happy something is going on on there now instead of just a simple dark short coaster or what we encountered which was an indoor lit up coaster on an aoocasion or two lol

^Yes I will agree with you. Each time we've gone this season I have noticed the non waterfall and it is a bit dissapointing to see. MY guess could be that there are some mechanical problems related to it that are keeping them from running the fall. One would have to think that with the interior being pepped up, the exterior would certainly be something the park woudl want looking great.

We were told the pump needs to be replaced for Skull Mountain's waterfall and for the waterfalls on Rapids, but unfortunately there was no money in the budget to fix them. While they are nice, most people have no idea they would even be there if they had never seen them running.

^ Ah yes I believe I had head this before I think they were hoping to have the Rapids waterfalls back running by next season or something like that. That makes sense and in all hopnesty I am sure they had much they needd to work on and pumps just weren't there. And you are right GA if people hand't seen the waterfalls before, its unlikely any of them would know they should be on or miss them at that point.

• 1 month later...

Rode SM yesterday....

Yeah, back seat on this ride is definitely the place to ride.

Also, I think the strobes are new. I know strobe lights existed at one point in SM, but in my 10 years of riding, I had never seen them working. I've seen the blacklights, but never strobes. These seem to be very high intensity strobes, which don't appear to be 12 years old. I think they may have been installed new this year. In a way, they're almost too powerful, because you can basically see the whole ride. I think they should reprogram them or whatever to be a little more random rather than having them just start flashing at full power as soon as you start climbing the hill. Just my opinion. :-)

Guest warnerleroy
Rode SM yesterday....

Yeah, back seat on this ride is definitely the place to ride.

Also, I think the strobes are new. I know strobe lights existed at one point in SM, but in my 10 years of riding, I had never seen them working. I've seen the blacklights, but never strobes. These seem to be very high intensity strobes, which don't appear to be 12 years old. I think they may have been installed new this year. In a way, they're almost too powerful, because you can basically see the whole ride. I think they should reprogram them or whatever to be a little more random rather than having them just start flashing at full power as soon as you start climbing the hill. Just my opinion. :-)

This season, it seems Skull Mountain has gone form pitch black to dimly lit. Although it's off topic, the halloween decorations seem out of place(it's like riding Haunted mansion with one of those blowmold light up pumpkins)

It's strange, I've never had two rides with the same lighting on Skull Mountain this year, even on the same day. Sometimes the strobes don't work at all, and sometimes they go off at different times than they did on the ride before. I wonder if they just go off randomly instead of being triggered by the train's position, or if they just have a bad sensor?

I've had rides where they're going off as I'm going up the lift and that's it. Also, the last time I was on it, they had the curtain for the transfer track lifted so the room was illuminated <_<

^ Been on it during those times and it really just kills off the mood for the ride. They really needed to do something better when constructing the ride than that stupid curtain over it because even when not lifted, the light still comes through as you are on you way back into the station and kills the mood off right bfore the ride finish!