VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

How would you improve Hurricane Harbor's headaches?

29yrswithaGApass

It's obvious that the operations of Hurricane Harbor have been struggling lately.  During any typical year, the park is pushed to its max especially during summer weekends with more than capacity crowds.  This year the situation has worsened with throngs of people looking to get out of their houses and do something "normal" coupled with the nationwide worker shortage causing closed attractions and even less capacity for the over-capacity crowds.  The results provide for something other than an ideal visit.  The park knows this is a bad situation all to well and recently announced that admission will be limited to just season pass and membership holders and reservation requirements have been reinstated. 

People have been more than vocal to complain about this less than desired setup but what would you suggest?  In your opinion, what is the best way to make Hurricane Harbor an enjoyable experience?  Limit attendance?  Increase capacity with additional attractions?  Provide a higher wage to attract more lifeguards?  

What do you think?              

I think it's essential that HH gets more attractions. I haven't been there in years because, quite frankly, I am more stressed when I leave the park than when I arrive. It needs a few MAJOR attractions for crowds to feel more comfortable. A higher capacity water coaster should be high on the park's priority list right now. The crowds come regardless and I think that's why they haven't added something major in a while but with no daily tickets anymore, that alone will make the general public angry. It's time for new rides there- and I would say that 2022 should be the year- they are likely re-adding the kids rides they removed with maybe a few extra ones so that shouldn't cost that much- use the extra money to make HH a valuable experience for the park AND the paying guests.

I would start with management, most company problems are caused by poor management. Poorly ran companies often have a difficult time attracting and keeping employees due to having bad reputations. 

• Like 2

From what I was told by people who work there, even with higher lifeguard wages no one wants to work, leading to the capacity problems they have. Not to mention with a lot of underage lifeguards working, they can't work 40 hour weeks due to child labor laws, so even when they hire lifeguards, they may not be able to work as much as they need to. As of right now, the current workforce situation is just really tough and I honestly don't know how they could improve it in the moment, but in the future yes, hurricane harbor is very popular, too popular, and it seriously needs to expand more (somehow).

• Like 1

They could stand to install red and green indicator lights on the slides to help improve dispatch times. Hershey's Boardwalk slides use indicator lights. Also install sun shades on top of the towers to reduce lifeguard fatigue.

Get a new governor.  One that does NOT think it's his job to dictate to the businesses or citizens of the State what is a safe or unsafe environment in which to work.  People are very capable of deciding for themselves where to work and when it's better to work than not work, and "safer" to work than not work.  As long as you've relaxed requirements to collect unemployment and made it more advantageous to collect unemployment than to work (thereby making it safer to not work than to work for many people), you will have a very difficult time finding people to work.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think at this point it’s more of a “what DOESN’T HH need” rather than “what does HH need.” I stopped going when King Cobra was removed and frankly I’ll never not be mad about that, but it was the last straw for a park that seems to be doing the bare minimum. 

They absolutely need another high capacity attraction like the wave pool and the lazy river. Even just a second wave pool would alleviate a lot of headaches. 

They need better maintenance, not of the attractions, but of the park itself. I don’t think I’ve ever climbed the stairs to Big Bambu/Reef Runner without seeing multiple beehives, and the wave pool area is always trashed by like an hour into the day. 

They need something unique again. King Cobra, while not being the best for capacity, was the most original ride the park ever had and to this day is the only slide to ever be removed from the park. 

Another slide complex like The Winds or Hurricane Mountain would also alleviate crowds. 

HH is easily the most neglected part of Great Adventure’s entire complex, and yet it’s the one constantly at capacity due to NJ summers being hellish. Truthfully, Six Flags needs to put the budget they generally put into Great Adventure into HH and (gasp) let GA go a year without a new attraction. Last year aside due to the current state of the world, 2010 was the last time GA didn’t get a new attraction and I think they’ll be forgiven if they do it again now lol. 

I would say some new attractions, the park doesn't have enough to supply the size of crowds they get, however staffing is also a big factor especially this season showed this, but even in past seasons they had some issues finding lifegaurds.  

A new water coaster, along with a hydro bowl and some speed slides with the floor dropping would complement our selection. 

The park has barely expanded since 2000, besides tornado which came in 2010, big wave racer and the pool that replaced the removed king kobra Is all they built in the last 21 years.

Now as far as management goes this is the biggest issue imo.  The fact that they provide very little amount of tubes to try to get rental sales causes extremely long lines before even going up the stairs to ride. The flash pass also is aggravating because last time I got it, it was for the wait for tubed and not the actual slide, being there isn't a separate entrance.  They should provide more tubes to help the lines instead of trying to up charge everything.  This was the most aggravating part of my day.

Edited by truepolak90

Proslide has a lot of awesome waterside with many different options. HH NJ is one of the few parks without a drop capsule whixh I'd love to see.  Off course also as mentioned before a water coaster would really complement the line up.  Also we could use another family play area/complex like the one we have with the bucket and smaller slides for the younger ones fo help spread the crowds. Also along with thrill and family attractions, perhaps something In between that's bigger then the small slides but not as intense as the big slides. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 1:53 AM, truepolak90 said:

Proslide has a lot of awesome waterside with many different options. HH NJ is one of the few parks without a drop capsule whixh I'd love to see.

It would be such an easy installation too. Just take the triple body slide tower and replace the slides with drop capsule slides. No need to build a new tower and it would essentially improve an already existing attraction.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 7:37 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Not sure how many people recall this but for 2012 the park announced they were going to add drop boxes to the Falls tower. Before the season started their plans changed and they added King Cobra instead. 

I do remember that! As much as I loved King Cobra, I’m still a bit upset we never got those. 

I really can’t even comprehend what goes into decision making for Hurricane Harbor. It’s questionable at Great Adventure some years too, but never like this. 

• Like 1

King Cobra was originally advertised as a much higher volume slide with a much higher weight limit (meaning two people could ride in one tube).  That all changed once the ride was built and tested and ended up hardly increasing park capacity.  That is why we received Big Wave Racer the following season.