VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Busch Gardens Tampa and Adventure Island, 8/26/21

Yoshi

Today was the first time I visited a water park in almost 2 years. I'm still getting used to the idea water park season for me doesn't end on Labor Day. I wanted to wait until schools were back in session before going to a water park because of how hot the weather has been and waiting in lines when it is 95 degrees and humid isn't much fun.

I had never been to Adventure Island before and it was interesting to try a new water park.

The lazy river has multiple entrances and exits which is good since you can use it for transportation. There is a fork in the river that goes around the back of the park but it was closed and you had to take the shorter path. The river didn't have any features like waterfalls and fountains.

One thing I liked about Dorney's waterpark was everything was single rider only except Cascade (single riders were allowed) and Aquablast. Adventure Island has been removing older single rider slides and replacing them with group slides so I couldn't try the 2 newest slides.

I also liked that you were allowed to wear aqua socks on the inner tube and mat racer slides. Their operations were better than Dorney too. Instead of each slide platform chained off and only letting 1 group at a time on the platform, you walked up to the platform and sat down at an open spot and waited for a green light. You could literally walk up and slide without having to wait for permission to go. It didn't matter today as everything was a walk on.

The mat racers were fun with a helix before the drops. The drop box slides also had a traditional body slide at the platform which I thought was a great idea considering how often at Dorney (and probably other parks) people would chicken out when stepping into the drop box. Caribbean Corkscrew had 2 slides that twist around each other and it almost felt like you were moving sideways at times.

My favorite slides were Aruba Tuba and Calypso Coaster, the 2 inner tube slides. One was all open and sometimes spun you around backwards and the other one was partially enclosed.

It was fun to be back at a water park again and I hope to go back next month.

After Adventure Island, I went to Busch Gardens. The park was completely empty. Even Cheetah Hunt had a station with only a few people waiting. I asked to wait for the front and almost had a solo ride but 2 others re-rode. Until March next year, this is going to be my favorite ride in the park.

Cobra's Curse had a problem with the lap bars not unlocking so I went to Montu.

Montu is forceful and it really got to me, probably from being tired after climbing stairs for 13 slides and the hot weather. I went back to Cobra's Curse and was going to ride Sheikra but it was announced all rides were closed because of an upcoming storm. The park was closing in 30 minutes anyway so I walked over to Iron Gwazi and then left the park.

IMG_8309.jpg.f983e8782dba83e7f9d6c00c312e30b3.jpg

IMG_8310.jpg.69227e0d454c7870ef71e2c1cc33d234.jpg

IMG_8315.jpg.723273a564e61524177ae20d99ab68de.jpg

IMG_8316.jpg.de9f72c3f158917182b1f47faf1f0a51.jpg

2021 signs are covered up, no 2022 signs yet.

• Like 3

I was surprised too when I saw they aren’t open all year. I’ll probably go to Aquatica when Adventure Island closes for the season or maybe before that since I haven’t ridden Mako in over 2 months.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:01 AM, GAcoaster said:

Adventure Island has a relatively short season-- I think it's March through November. That always has surprised me, but Busch Gardens uses their parking for Christmas so that might be part of it. 

I wish the swimming season up here was that long. 

^ I always was disappointed that water park season was only around Memorial Day to Labor Day. Even if it was just a few slides open, I would have gone to water parks in early to mid May and through September (even October if it was above 70 degrees out).

I was looking up the hours for Adventure Island and apparently they recently decided to be open all year now although mostly weekends only from November - March except for school holidays. It will be nice to have another option other than Orlando water parks for the winter.

https://adventureisland.com/park-info/water-park-hours/