VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Freedomland U.S.A.-- Theme Park in the Bronx from the early 1960's

GAcoaster

I wish I could find more info on Freedomland U.S.A., but here are a couple of YouTube videos of the park, along with a really cool history site, Freedomland U.S.A..

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

It always struck me that Freedomland was one of those parks with lofty ideas and concepts, but poor planning and execution on the part of the designers/operators.

Freedomland had one of the few double skyrides (like the one at GA) ever built by Von Roll, and I have often wondered if any of the parts from their skyride were used on GA's. Their Skyride is the only other one I have ever seen that has the angled support arms, which it did not have when it originally ran at the New York World's Fair.

In my opinion, I always thought GA's Skyride towers came from Freedomland and the stations and cars came from the NY Worlds Fair.

Freedomland:

freedomland11.jpg

Great Adventure:

20070515.jpg

NYWF:

swisky02.jpg

(from www.nywf64.com)

On simple observation I would say that your guess is probably correct, however, looking closely at the towers it appears that the Freedomland towers used an "I" beam construction whereas Great Adventure's tower's use a box beam construction. Other than that, I think they're dead on. The disastrous history of Freedomland is so bad, though, that I'd hate to think that any of it ended up at Great Adventure.

I noticed that it looked like I-beams too but then I was thinking it might have been the way the tower was painted that made it look like that from this angle. The color seems to sort of match the color of the wheel assemblies.

Actually, it looks like it could be a pole in front of the tower.

My theory is when the park built the Skyride, they worked with Von Roll and got parts of the NYWF's and other parts which may have been from Freedomland or just used the same design. Since the manufacturer was involved with the installation, they could have been all new towers. Also, I don't think the Freedomland skyride was as tall as GA's, so maybe it was just the cross arms which were re-used.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...