VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2008 - It's halftime!

29yrswithaGApass

Yesterday, July 10th, marked the halfway mark of 2008 from an operating days perspective. This season the park is open to the public 151 days and July 10th was day #76.

The good news is it has been a great first half... the bad news, there is only a half left! But looking optimistically, our calendar is still half-full!

Anyone want to provide their perspective so far of 2008 during halftime?

So far they have surpassed all expectations. Yes, there have been one or two small disappointments (Houdini, Showcase dark), but overall things are looking good and running well throughout the park. Glow in the Park is outstanding, and the Dark Knight was exactly what I expected it to be. All the rides have been running at or near full capacity, with fast moving lines and short dispatch times. Food has been good, the park is clean and looks great.

Were I to grade it, I would give an B+ year to date. Of course if it's a really "knock your socks off" Fright Fest, that could easily go up to an A- or A in my book.

It's easy for a coaster enthusiast and park fan to have fun at the park.

Operations A = S.U.F. Medusa, and Batman!!! crews are better than they have been for a long time (2004?). Almost all the crews are better thanks to the park not allowing guests to bring artciles into the station. The Skyway crew is awesome! They need to work on teh Rolling Thunder crew...again.

Maintenance A = Rolling Thunder Coaster 2 is running much better than last year. Coaster 1 isn't too bad either. Batman and GASM are as smooth as ever and Medusa seems to be running a little faster. Kingda Ka's breakdowns seem to be fewer and haven't lasted too long. El Toro and S.U.F. are never down while I'm in the area. Nitro needs different wheels because it's getting very shaky again.

Food A = Yes it's expensive, but it's all been great. The wraps at the Nitro Grille, the hamburger from Best of the West and the Yum Yum from the water ice shop in the Congo River shops are my favorites.

Management (GAdv or SF) C- = Overall, The Dark Knight is a nice addition. Any effects inside Skull Mountain are welcomed! The Log Flume was closed too often in the begining of season and Rapids took a while to use the second station; Closing Old Country to keep the Cabana area quite is bad karma. Every successful entertainment park has bumper cars, a roundabout (not just a Carousel) ride and swings! The importance of the spin and flat rides should be re-evaluated. The side walk replentishment is nice. Hopefully allot more is to come!

One of the sour notes is how Medusa is being ran this year, opening it up later is one thing but why only run one train while all the other coasters are running at max capacity? Also putting cabanas where a flat ride was (and where a new one should be) is even more bad karma. I think you all know how I feel about the lockers.

Other than Medusa, most of the coasters are running at higher capacities than they have in years and the Skyride has also been running much more often this year which is very good. Seems like the park is being kept cleaner too.

Edited by The Master

Mid-season so far I would probably say the park is doing a great job with everything. We haven't been in many long lines this year, and those that look long are so much shorter time-wise than the same line was in the last few seasons so that is a major plus for sure. Although we have no Houdini, and I would still like to see something in the Stunt Arena, and either the Showcase of Grandstand, I think all of the entertainment has done a great job with giving the park patrons some selection in what they see. GITDP has been outstanding and the love for it seems to be universal. The Dark Knight I know dissapointed some people, and perhaps the theming could have been done differently to be more pleasing and recognizable, it is a nice addition. I think FMTTM is on a short leash and may not last past this season as it's popularity hasn't really grown much from those who I have heard from. The park has been very clean through the season to this point, and I am sure that as it goes through its second hafl the same. I think that for the season to reach perfection in my book I am going to need a FF filled with multiple trails and a newly redone Haunted Hayride with the usual perks. And this year I am determined that I will be getting into that coffin with the bugs to win stuff :)

Overall to this point I would say the park is at a B level or an 8/10 with possibly the best yet to come :)