VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Rolling Thunder Backwards?

medusa05

Well we all know for a point in time I guess during the 80's or 70's, they ran one side on Rolling Thunder backwards. Does anyone have pictures of it running this way? Also what side ran backwards? And normally what trains ran backwards? My mom rode it backwards but she doesn't remember it that much.

Thanks,

John

I think I remember it being the inside track that was run backwards.

I know I don't have any pictures of it, but I can remember it running backwards (and being painful), and I remember the radio commercials being on the Imus show when I'd ride the bus to school in the morning.

Rolling Thunder ran backwards in 1984 to mark the 100th anniversary of the roller coaster. It was unusual seeing all the "remain seated" signs facing the opposite direction on one side of the station and normal on the other. The radio commercial for REDNUHT GNILLOR will be included as part of the Rolling Thunder Spotlight (which hasn't been scheduled yet), but I just added a preview of the ad in the Gallery. :)

Harry

• 1 month later...

I don't have any pictures Medusa05. I know it was Coaster 2 that went backwards. It's the side that you go around the back of the station to ride. I believe the trains were painted black (and maybe gold) that season. There may have been "Frontwards and Backwards" or "Sbrawkcab" signs at the entrance of the ride. It was the first year I was tall enough to ride Rolling Thunder. It went backwards but I didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember in 2005 people kept insisting that for Fright Fest 05, they'd run one side of Rolling Thunder backwards...except it closed in September to build El Toro :P

-Dainan "And the enthusiasts went wild :Ninja: " Rafferty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have heard they used to do that with Rolling Thunder, I know SFMM still runs Colossus backwards for their FF. Rolling Thunder is kinda rough these days so that may be why GAdv does not do it anymore?

It also depends upon the mindset of the park's current management. I can recall the park's GM Ray Williams being asked in 1990 if he had any intentions of running Rolling Thunder backwards again, and he stated that he did not approve of the trains being operated backwards. He felt that the cars were obviously designed from a safety and comfort perspective to be operated in a forward direction and reversing the trains would put those items at risk. He was not willing to take that risk.

A very valid argument there, especially with today's mindset of sue, sue, sue the second the slightest thing goes wrong. It probably wouldn't be worth the financial risk to simply turn the cars around and run the train. Odds are it would be shot down if that is the case from the get go by one of their insurance carriers as too risky. We can alwasy hope though. Since it has been over twenty years since it's last sting running backwards it would be nice for another generation to experience it.

Sorry guys. It's not going to happen. The trains making it around the track and returning to the station safely is about as far as the concern goes for Rolling Thunder. Six Flags and Great Adventure would show care for the guest experience by getting the right wood for the ride, replacing the steel track as needed, replacing the outdated skid breaks, lubercating the steel, removing the hard seats for wider, soft more comfortable seats, replaced the buzz bars with adjustable and less problematic ratcheting lap bars, widening and painting the interior and exterior of the station and giving the ride a proper paint job. It's a high capacity, low-problematic family ride. It is not in their best interest to give the guest a great experience on the ride.

Many people blame the abanded car in front of their neighbor's house for dragging down the value of their neighborhood. I blame the neighbor.

• 3 weeks later...
Imagine riding El Toro backwards? That would be really intense!

I don't usually get scared on rides but I think that would be terrifying. I can picture everyone coming out of their seats as the train went down the first drop. That's when you would be thankful the train has seatbelts!

• 3 months later...