VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

El Toro Hit By Lightning

Railer

Well, now we know why it's been closed a few days now. GASource is reporting this (at least they are reporting something) It will be closed while they wait for replacement part's. With Kingda Ka right next to it you would think El Toro would be kind of "safe" and the fact that it's made mostly of wood.

*R*

El Toro has been struck by lightning before. The first time was on 6/24/06. I was up in Batman during a storm and all the alphas and bravos (major rides/coasters) were closed and it was reported over the radio that Toro was struck by lightning. From my understanding, lightning struck a lift sencor and it screwed with the lift system, but it should be up soon.

-Dainan "Hi, I'm back" Rafferty

That area of the state sure gets its fair share of storms. RT is also a common conductor even with the Parachutes close by. I was working at the park during the storm pictured in this album http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forum...m&album=354 when something near the Western Fort was struct by lightning. The next lightning strike simultaneously hit RT and Viper. RT's lift motor was hit and the ride was closed for the remainder of that Saturday evening and the following day. The park was closed during the week and both RT and Viper opened that weekend for Coaster Celebration!

Edited by darkridedan

It was struck by lightning which has caused the closure.

With Kingda Ka right next to it you would think El Toro would be kind of "safe" and the fact that it's made mostly of wood.

You would think that, but it's not always the case that lightning hits the tallest object. The classic example was always Joust-A-Bout. It got hit by lightning several times during it's life, with the Parachute being untouched. That was one of the reasons for its removal was the systems had been fried too many times.

According to Screamscape, El Toro is supposed to re-open today, as the repairs from the lightning have been completed. I'm sure someone from this site has gone to the park today and will let us know later.

*R*

I believe it (like all rides) has a certain degree of lightning protection (it would be foolish to build a multi-million dollar ride without it), but even with lightning rods, sometimes a direct hit can screw things up...especially with computer and electric systems.