VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

What's Happening to this Park?

RobertDavid

I only went in to see the shows the first couple times. I remember my first visit, in 1979, we brought my cousin, and we were having a blast going on the then brand new Rolling Thunder, along with the other great rides, when suddenly the day had to come to a screeching halt so we could have lunch and go in to see a show.(at my parent's insistance, of course) We wondered what we did wrong to warrant such punishment,but the air conditioning was good! We hated the music though,even though the girls in the show were very pretty. If these shows were actually on Broadway, they would close on opening night. lol

Another time my Uncle brought us, and dragged us in kicking and screaming to see the show. He let us leave though before it even started because we wouldn't leave him alone to enjoy it.

I think that is still part of the problem today. The teens come to the parks to ride rides, not see shows. However, the shows are geared towards teens (for example stunt shows). Because the teens ignore the shows attendance is poor and shows aren't viewed as valuable. In the end, new shows aren't scheduled and everyone misses out. Thank goodness for the dolphins and tigers!

Out of all the old shows in the Showcase Theater that I saw, I think the best was the old Laser show they had in there. It was when the tech. was brand new and it had a really good soundtrack of Classic Rock (back then it was new) It had an X-Wing portion of the show, and it blew me away as a kid.

I just think the sound stage thing is hideous as opposed to a Gotham City skyline, but that's me. I never liked the Movie Town theme. I think they will finish painting it to complete the area in the future.

I think painting a building to look like a skyline would look cheesey but anything is better than a plain grey, tin box sticking up. I can see how having shows at GAdv would be a problem since it is not real far from either Broadway in NYC or Philly which also has traveling broadway shows all the time (usually the first stop out of NY). But those broadway shows cost big bucks to go see even in Philly let alone up in NYC. Deadman's Party is pretty good and sure is hell of alot cheaper LOL. But the main reason most people go to a park is for rides not shows, even adults are that way. I think I know why GAdv has been treated so badly by SF over the years while most of the other SF parks have been kept in much better shape like SFOT, SFStL, etc. Because GAdv had been getting so many new, big coasters over the years that they cut back on maintaining the park to help pay them off.

Edited by The Master

• 2 months later...

I'm hoping that during the off season, that the outside of The Dark Knight gets finished including the skyline(which makes perfect sense seeing that the ride is set in Gotham City Rail). I'm also hoping for alot more to be done on the ride like adding in new effects that were supposed to be apart of the ride like dripping/fogging pipes, the air blast that was supposed to happen after you pass the Joker's truck, etc. They've added some new things to the ride since the last time I rode it, like there's this bang that happens when the Joker graffiti comes up during the preshow, the sirens and warning message after the preshow, and it's alot quieter when waiting outside and even when waiting to get on the ride. The last time I rode it, while waiting to get on the train after the preshow, I could hear the sound of the truck flipping and the Joker laughing, and this time I heard neither while waiting on line(I was also able to hear those outside as well). It's alot darker in the ride now thanks to the addition of a covering over part of the exit(the part over the doors). The line was shorter too(The first time I rode it, the wait was probably an hour and the second time was probably 30 minutes and today it was probably 20 minutes). It appears to me that there are trying to fit as many people as they can in the preshow room, because even when Harvey Dent comes on in the video, they were still letting people in.

As long as Upper Management gets their heads screwed on straight and the economy finally stabilizes, I think we have a very bright future at the park.

Unfortunately though, you need to understand that times are changing and the park will never be the same way as it once was.

I very much understand the beauty of the park in the 80's. Trust me. It's just that business wise, people of this day and age aren't going to visit a park that's themed to look like a fantasy world (With the exception of Disney, only because Disney is a Universal icon and will ALWAYS be popular).

Great Adventure is part of the Six Flags chain, and as much as I hate to say it, Six Flags will ALWAYS be referred to as a 'Thrill Park'.

Six Flags can NEVER be family oriented. There are too many big rides to make it feel like a family park.

Adding family rides will only make new guests less happy, because they are expecting more out of the company.

As far as I'm concerned, business wise, the park MUST get with the times and begin adding attractions people WANT.

It saddens me to think that people wouldn't be happy with Bumper Cars as our new attraction for an upcoming season, however you all have to agree with me here when I say times have changed, and people want current, up-to-date thrill out of Six Flags.

Great Adventure is part of the Six Flags chain, and as much as I hate to say it, Six Flags will ALWAYS be referred to as a 'Thrill Park'.

Six Flags can NEVER be family oriented.

Chris, in the two years since I worked at the park (which are, coincidentally, the two years since Shapiro took the helm) I have seen a dramatic difference in the number of families in attendance. Bumper cars would do well. Swings would do well.

Do we still have thrill seekers? Yes. Do we need to cater to them 100% of the time? Certainly not...

^ That's partially my point.

See, I wasn't trying to say that we need thrill rides.

Personally, I WANT Bumper Cars or flat rides of the sort to be our next attraction.

All I was saying was that the majority of attendance is GP, who want big crazy rides.

Families come first, however, if the park caters solely to the families for a prolonged amount of time, the major attendance from GP will drop due to the lack of new 'big crazy rides'.

Six Flags can NEVER be family oriented.

^ That's partially my point.

See, I wasn't trying to say that we need thrill rides.

Personally, I WANT Bumper Cars or flat rides of the sort to be our next attraction.

All I was saying was that the majority of attendance is GP, who want big crazy rides.

Families come first, however, if the park caters solely to the families for a prolonged amount of time, the major attendance from GP will drop due to the lack of new 'big crazy rides'.

Regardless of what point you were attempting to get across, don't ever discount that Six Flags could become the destination(s) for families that Shapiro is striving toward...

This may be an unpopular perspective, but I would be content if NOTHING was added next year, not even plus-ing a ride, if it meant proper TLC for what we already have: a refurb for the carousel... Paint for Character Cafe... Replacement bulbs for Granny's, the Big Wheel & Fantasy Fling... A rehab on the Fort... You see where I'm going; we don't want another victim of neglect in the vein of the Super TeePee...

This is exactly my point. I am on your side! Like I mentioned earlier, a little something, even nothing but general upkeep wouldn't disappoint me!

I just strongly believe that GP would be extremely let down, thus hurting the park.

Trust me when I say I'm on your side! I don't want a new major coaster for at LEAST another two years!

I just think that GP will freak out when they realize we got a 'crappy' new coaster this year (even though I LOVE it), and that we aren't putting anything in for the next few seasons.

The sad thing is these days GAdv mostly has either big coasters or kiddie rides and not too much in the middle. Of all the local parks I go to GAdv seems the most empty anymore which is a shame and all the weird stuff they have up now makes them look the most desperate too. I think SF's main problem with becoming a family chain is that they have been a thill seeker chain for so long that it will take a long time to change their image. Even with that some SF parks can make the change better than others and I think GAdv will be one of the parks having a harder time due to a ever growing lack of family rides and being a hangout for yahoo types for years.

Also with the trees in a the park, Where I live there are a whole mess of trees and they are a mixed blessing. While they are nice to have they need alot of upkeep like keeping them trimmed, cutting dead branchs off, cleaning up leaves and bean boppers and fallen branches and other crap that is always falling off of them.

Edited by The Master