VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Ale House Spotlight

This is one of those things I've really changed my opinion about over time-- alcohol sales in the parks. I used to be completely against it, and I think part of the reason why the park curtailed sales was because of issues with drunk guests, but they were getting drunk in the parking lot, not the park. 

Having spent over 30 years now going to the Busch parks (including while they were owned by Anheuser Busch and giving out free beer), and having spent a lot of time at Universal Orlando which was built when Seagrams owned Universal, so they have FULL bars with liquor as well as beer and wine, I can say that there generally is not a problem offering adults alcoholic beverages. Most guests don't drink excessively- they have a drink or two and relax as part of their day in the park. The bars at SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and Universal rack up HUGE sales and are enjoyable ways to relax and cool down on a long ay at the park.  

I think the idea of the Ale House is fine, I just would make it more secluded and less "out in the middle of the walkway". I get they were trying to get more walk in business, but it's much more conducive to a bar to be tucked away a little, away from the noise and crowds. Now if they built something along the lake with a covered patio that looked out on the water, that would make sense! The Lakerfront Yacht Club would have been ideal for a restaurant/lounge/bar... https://www.greatadventurehistory.com/PBNB_LakefrontYachtClub.htm

• Like 1

That's become a bigger and bigger problem with "drinking around the world" even when it's not Food & Wine. I think it can also be chalked up to lack of attractions and not having alcohol at Magic Kingdom. I think because people can't drink at MK they go to EPCOT to make up for it. With the lack of attractions (especially in World Showcase) there's not much to do but eat and drink. 

• Like 1

Agreed – the last time I was there a guy was puking his brains out in France at about 2 PM.

That said, I think the solution is more or less what it is anywhere else: train your people to be aware of customers' states of sobriety, and cut them off when need be. Not that that doesn't get messy from time to time....