VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Superman: Ride Of Steel - Better

29yrswithaGApass

From Six Flags:

September 15, 2008

Superman: Ride Of Steel - Better

Six Flags New England Announces Major Transformation

Six Flags New England announced today plans to reinvent what has already been named the best Steel Coaster on the Planet, according to Amusement Today, the nation's leading theme park industry publication. Since its debut in 2000, SUPERMAN: RIDE OF STEEL has electrified guests around the world. In 2009, this incredible machine will be redesigned with imaginative special effects and newly renovated trains. The transformation will be complete by Memorial Day.

“Six Flags is regarded as the undisputed leader in thrill ride innovation and at Six Flags New England we're taking that reputation to the next level,” said Larry Litton, Park President. “The coaster that separates itself from all others will deliver an unprecedented ride experience.”

Going above and beyond traditional steel coasters, this state-of-the-art invention will undergo a revolutionary makeover. The adventure will send riders up 20 stories while flying through fog banks, fire bursts and heart-pumping audio for three minutes and twenty two seconds of extreme thrills.

The re-launch of SUPERMAN: RIDE OF STEEL will mark the start of another exciting season as Six Flags New England cements its position as the area's premier "daycation" destination. The park offers fun for every member of the family with world class shows, three children's areas — Wiggles World, Thomas Town and Looney Tunes Movie Town and New England's largest water park, Hurricane Harbor — FREE with park admission.

Guests can experience all that Six Flags New England has to offer with a 2009 Season Pass. This purchase offers the best value with unlimited visits to the theme park and water park and comes with a coupon book featuring over $300 in special offers including free concerts and 5 Bring-A-Friend-Free tickets. A Season Pass can be used at all Six Flags Theme Parks throughout the country and are now on sale. Purchase at sixflags.com for the lowest price of the season — just $69.99, and enjoy the remainder of the 2008 season including all the thrills and chills of Fright Fest presented by Snickers®.

I mentioned this earlier in the year but once again I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen to Nitro in the future.

I could certainly see a renovation treatment on Nitro at some point especially with the types of effects they have mastered on rides now. I mean it seems like a nice job was done on X2 during its transformation, and now Ride of Steel will be seeing similar effects added to it. I have to imagine that Nitro would be very inviting to try some new and innovative stuff with.

Nitro is a terrific ride but the initial installation was bare-bones-basic as far as theming and effects. I wouldn't mind seeing:

- tunnels

- a fancier station and queue

- cars with audio

- special effects

Redo's are always so much more cost effective than building rides and attraction from scratch. Ask Disney.

• 1 month later...

News on the new viral marketing campaign from Screamscape:

Superman: Ride of Steel v2 - (11/3/08) Six Flags has decided to take the simple upgrade of Superman: Ride of Steel and turn it into a viral event it seems. Some strange sights confronted guests visiting the park this past weekend, such as a group of protestors claiming that an evil corporation by the name of Clawchun Industries was hired to do the work on the Superman coaster. They claimed that the company was secretly trying to ruin the ride and may even remove it. Meanwhile promotional materials from Clawchun Industries were also up, promoting the fact that they were hired to improve the ride for the 2009 season.

To go along with all this in park action, a few fake websites and phone numbers were created where I think we’ll be seeing more and more information about this story evolve over the winter months. You can see the Clawchun Industries website, where it’s mentioned that the company is based in Metropolis. There is also a link on that site to the Metropolis Stock Exchange where ‘trading’ will reopen on Nov 4th at 9am PST. You can also call Clawshun at (877) 895-3755 to hear a message.

Of course for a laugh check out this pair of YouTube videos showing off a coaster enthusiast trying to talk to the Protestors and then to the Clawchun Industries people at the ride’s entrance, all the while taking the antics a little too seriously and not quite getting that this is all just a big act. You can see some pictures from the park and the promo signs up posted to SFNE Online along with pictures showing off some nice new blue paint being applied to Superman’s supports.

• 4 months later...