VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Big Wave Racer Discussion Topic

29yrswithaGApass

Coming in 2013! Big Wave Racer

main_NJWPBigWaveRacer.jpg

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Introduces Eighth Slide Complex

Get ready to race head-first down 1,800 feet of slide on an aero-dynamically-designed water toboggan. In summer 2013 at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, you will be able to challenge your friends and family to an extreme race on a massive, new slide complex — Big Wave Racer. This new 4-story tall complex will feature multiple lanes that will send you and your competitors barreling head-first down several steep drops before crossing the finish line.

Big Wave Racer is slated for a summer 2013 opening and will be the eighth slide complex at Hurricane Harbor, pushing the number of thrill slides to more than 25. The 45-acre water park also features a million-gallon wave pool, a half-mile lazy river and a large children’s water playground.

The addition is a good choice. The Kracken slide at Lake Compounce has been a huge hit and this one will have 8 slides instead of 4. Capacity is really good. each slide get I believe 160-180pph. that's 1,200+ pph

This is a hell of a long shot, but is there any chance King Cobra is leaving? Just asking given the "Closing Weekend" sign specifically with its logo that popped up in yesterday's TR.

And on your note, Harry, any clues on why we went without for so long and now have so many additions? It seems counterintuitive for a few reasons.

I would bet that the newer management seen that the park's attendance fall over the seasons and once they added Tornado, it showed how much the place needed a new attraction. I would love to see this park turned into something like Water Country being its a separate gate admission. They have so much potential to make this water park better. I would love to see more slides from the same company that built Tornado.

This is a hell of a long shot, but is there any chance King Cobra is leaving? Just asking given the "Closing Weekend" sign specifically with its logo that popped up in yesterday's TR.

And on your note, Harry, any clues on why we went without for so long and now have so many additions? It seems counterintuitive for a few reasons.

King Cobra is not leaving and Big Wave Racer is being added in part to make up for the unexpected lower capacity of Cobra. As far as the wave of new additions, truepolak90 pretty much hit it on the head.

I would love to see the park build and expand golden kingdom to meet up with the water parks gates however I can't see them adding too many rides along that path as it is a long walk from Ka's entrance up to the harbor.

Now that the Safari entrance road is no longer going to be used, they could always add a train ride that runs from the Golden Kingdom over to Hurricane Harbor and incorporate Hurricane Harbor's admission into the theme park. That would add another 100 or so acres of land into the theme park footprint locking down the "world's largest claim"!

• 4 months later...

I like how the placement of the new mat racer slide will open up a whole new area of the park including a new bridge. Its positioning also allows for another slide complex to be easily added to the other side of the walkway. This will definitely disperse some of the crowds over to the Aquatopia area.

I like how the placement of the new mat racer slide will open up a whole new area of the park including a new bridge. Its positioning also allows for another slide complex to be easily added to the other side of the walkway. This will definitely disperse some of the crowds over to the Aquatopia area.

I like the placement, but not a fan of how if you were on the family raft slides you have to walk around and across 2 bridges while BWR is right next to it. Wish they somehow found a way to have a path by the family slides along with the new bridge.

I like the placement, but not a fan of how if you were on the family raft slides you have to walk around and across 2 bridges while BWR is right next to it. Wish they somehow found a way to have a path by the family slides along with the new bridge.

It would seem logical but the ride was placed up against the family rafts to allow for future slide sites and the entrance was placed where it was because the park wanted to draw guests to the Aquatopia area. The Aquatopia is the park's biggest restaurant but typically guests are nowhere near the foodstand during the day- everyone is at the attractions along the perimeter of the park. This is an attempt to bring traffic to this dead area and if access was allowed from the family raft area it would have defeated that goal.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Six Flags Great Adventure Newsletter:

Construction Update: Big Wave Racer

Production is underway for our all-new Hurricane Harbor attraction

I2013-01-22-5F7DE3011DD8_135x135.jpg

• Ground has been broken and space cleared

• Foundation and supports are being built

• Race head-first down four stories of extreme drops

You may not see anything sticking out of the ground just yet, but the process has begun for constructing the all-new Big Wave Racer. We’ve started working on some key components that are important to help build and support the new structure. Here’s an update on the construction of Big Wave Racer.

Construction is well underway for the all-new Big Wave Racer. Although you may not see any actual pieces popping up until early spring, contractors, scientists, and builders are working hard on key elements that are vital to the construction of this massive four-story slide complex.

We had a team of knowledgeable Geo-scientists inspect the ground where the new ride will stand. These experts evaluated the dirt at the ride site to determine which kind of soil would be best to support the foundation of the ride. Then, workers broke ground and began digging to prepare the site for ride placement.

We’ve also selected the contractor who will build the foundation of the tower and establish the base and groundwork for the ride. You know that the Big Wave Racer will stand a staggering 40 feet above the ground, but did you know that it also extends underground? Constructors will place support pieces below ground level to help sustain the ride. This process is very important and precise because these frames will be attached to the ride and are responsible for helping the slide tower maintain stability. After the base is installed and assembled, the first visual piece of the ride can be erected. Workers have to carefully line up each piece so the slick tracks twist, turn, and properly lead into the massive pool below. You can look for the water slide to extend in early spring.

A lot of hard work goes into making the Big Wave Racer one of the best slides yet. As the newest staple of Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, riders will barrel head-first on an aero-dynamically-designed water toboggan, racing their competitors down a 1,800-foot-long lane of steep drops and twists.

The new Big Wave Racer is moving forward and on schedule for completion in early summer. Are you ready to make a splash on this attraction?