VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Ride-a-Rama

GAcoaster

Obviously don't remember this section of the park as it was a good 9 years before i was even a thought, but I used to love these types of rides when I was younger. Especially the ones with the horn buzzers because I would get to just lay it on until the ride was over knowing it annoyed people :) I can definitely see this part of the park being popular and am glad to see some of the rides remained in the park for so long. Too bad there aren't still places for them because in my opinion these are the rides every kid should get to know :)

The operator of the car rides could turn off the horns by leaving the lights out. I used to leave them out during the Looney Tunes show until about the 50th time I watched the show. Then I left them on to drown out the noise of the show. :)

It looked like the large cars (Beep Beep Buggies) was the most popular ride in BBL...or perhaps after the train. I would open a small kiddie area in the Old Country with the large cars, small cars (Daffy Duck's Magical Motorcade,) the little bumper cars, the little ferris wheel and a new speedtrap. Screw BBNP! ;)

Edited by darkridedan

I forgot all about this area, but I do very vaguely remember the Helicopter Ride (I was 6 in 76'). Does this mean no Houdini or Carousel Spotlight? I'm looking forward to both of those. Great as always with the Spotlight, and the list of completed Spotlight's is getting really impressive.

Does this mean no Houdini or Carousel Spotlight? I'm looking forward to both of those. Great as always with the Spotlight, and the list of completed Spotlight's is getting really impressive.

The Dreams and Nightmares feature will run up through the end of Fright Fest. There is still time to possibly see Houdini or the Carousel.

I remember the Helicopter ride! That was my favorite when I was 3 or 4 years old. (at other parks, before Great Adventure's time) Wow, completely forgot about it.

My favorite of that genre of ride was probably the motorcycles that would have a little ramp thing they would "jump" off of into the air and then another where the wheels would touch and come back down again. I didn't see it in the pictures from the park, so it's too bad they didn't seem to have one in there (unless I still managed to miss it after looking through the spotlight some more). Though I would have been a demon child on those cars and the helicopter believe it or not I probably would have been slightly scared of because it went that high (I hated heights lol).

• 1 year later...

Thanks to all the great information that our members and readers share with us, we continue to learn more and more about the park each day.

With the 1975 Park Guide pamphlet submitted by jerzijack (see below), we have finally been able to identify the five attractions of Ridearama by their real names. The names we used when we made the Ridearama Spotlight were simply the manufacturer's model names because up until now we hadn't seen any literature with the real names of the attractions.

Here are the original names of Great Adventure's first children's attractions:

Flying Copters:

ebayie-Helicopter-Ride-Jul74_small.jpg

Roundabout Boats:

OCT75-09_small.jpg

Cars!Cars!:

OCT75-07_small.jpg

Dune Buggies:

Small-Cars_small.jpg

Moon Bounce:

Bounce-House_small.jpg

Looks like we have been able to put together a few more pieces of the Great Adventure history puzzle!

gallery_2_236_1340023.jpg

• 6 months later...