VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Your choice for operating a ride?

29yrswithaGApass

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience working at the park, operating a ride is not as exciting as one might think. Everything is computer controlled so there is not much for the operator to do other then enabling a train to be dispatched. The allure of operating a roller coaster with 30+ screaming passengers quickly wears off.

I have always preferred the more hands on rides (and those that utilize steel cables ;) ), the Sky Ride and Dare Devil Dive. So to pick only one to operate I would pick Dare Devil Dive. In my opinion, it is the most hands on ride to operate in the park. There are no computers controlling it and there are many different items that need to be controlled and tasks to be completed at different times to run the ride smoothly (i.e the Scissor Lift, winch and Hydraulic Landing Unit, to name a few).

Not only is it a complex ride, but it is also a very personable ride. From an employee stand point, you are handling 30+ people at one time on a roller coaster, whereas on Dare Devil Dive you are dealing with a maximum of 6 at one time. You are actually able to have a friendly individual conversation and actually develop a connection. From a guests view, on a roller coaster we are herded onto and off of the ride with generic salutations being delivered over a PA system, you must "Exit Quickly" and have no time for a question or recommendation. On Dare Devil Dive you are catered to by the employees for 5-10 minutes, they joke, laugh, and ease your concerns. When the ride is over, there is time to ask questions and receive tid bits of information. As a guest, you are more likely to remember your 'operator' and greet them the next time you see them.

Wow, Sorry for the long anwser, I hope I did not get too off topic.

I think I would go back to the Parachutes. I am a pretty nostalgic person. Like Eric said with DDD, the parachute ride allowed you to meet guests one on one (or at least two on one) because you did everything as far as the experience was concerned - crowd control, loading, operation, unloading, etc. The entire guest experience was in your hands. I always enjoyed operating two chutes because you could get the timing down perfectly so that you were in constant motion and the line actually moved pretty fast. The day would fly by even though it was REALLY hot on that uncovered white concrete slab. We had a great crew in '85 and '86 and I use to love when we had all eight chutes operating at once. It was very picturesque!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Chiller when it was around. I'd have a blast messing with riders in the overhead control room, launching them when they're not expecting it!

This. I did all that and then some when I was up in that booth (like using all 5 of the good lines from the crappy source material as launch spiels. I must've watched that movie like five times in April looking for lines. Oh the things I did for that ride... :( )

That's easy. Hands down Cables.

Cables would've been awesome when I worked there if it wasn't for the need to catch the damn cars... :lol:

Dark Knight you dont have to do anything unless there is a problem with the load. Toro is probably one of the coolest ones or Ka becuase you actually inspect each row and always seem to have a problem with one! like think back to the last time you rode toro and didnt hear the operator say "Recheck Row 3" or "Row 2 Unlocked"? It seems like so much fun! biggrin.gif

• 4 months later...
That's easy. Hands down Cables. More specifically Western Cables, and even more specifically "A" side. By far the best ride to work in the park especially if you have a great crew like the '95 and '96 night crew.

Oh.My.God. Don't even mess around like that lol,I don't know one person who likes Cables,including me.

Edited by Mike13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...