VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Escape Lodge cutting back until spring

29yrswithaGApass

Source: News Channel 13 - Lake George

Great Escape Lodge cutting back until spring

Thursday, October 30, 2008

QUEENSBURY - Economic woes have Lake George-area businesses scaling back operations or even closing for the winter.

The Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Water Park is going to a weekends-only schedule and other Lake George businesses are shutting down completely until spring.

The fun at the Great Escape's indoor water park will be limited to Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays this winter. When it opened two years ago, tourism types said the hotel would bring weekday visitors to the area year-round. But a weak economy has the hotel shifting to weekends only, with the exception of large groups.

Six Flags isn't the only Lake George business changing its schedule this year.

"This will be the first time in 45 years we have not opened in the winter," said Jeff Garry of Roaring Brook Ranch.

Garry's family has operated the sprawling Roaring Brook Ranch for 64 years.

"With the cost of energy, we felt it was going to be very expensive to operate this winter. With rising costs of food and labor, we probably end up saving money in the long run," he said.

Garry says the state conference business has dried up and private businesses are cutting back.

"This winter everybody's running a little scared," Garry added.

As another apparent sign of the times, the Lake George McDonald's on Canada Street, usually open year-round, has decided to close until May.

But it's not all bad, says Lake George's town supervisor and chair of the county's tourism committee. Lou Tessier says sales tax and occupancy tax receipts are up through September.

He worries that businesses closing for the season sends the wrong message.

"Somebody's going to have to stay open. If you don't have anything open, you're not going to invite anybody here," Tessier said.

The Six Flags water park says they're closing most weekdays until spring to improve efficiency.

This isn't reassuring news for Six Flags Corp to go out and build another new hotel. :(

If they don't already, I think the park should offer day passes on days the hotel is not sold out to increase the money coming in.

I never looked into staying there but I did look into Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos and spending close to $300 a night or $75 a person (with taxes) just didn't seem that appealing to me when I can spend $86 and have access to Wildwater Kingdom all summer (and Dorney of course). If they had sold day passes for under $25, I would have considered going since it would be a nice way to break up the offseason.

I can see why they did this though, how busy could they have been during the week when school is in session?