VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

GA's Street Characters

Before the Looney Tunes characters moved in during the mid 80's Great Adventure had a whole cast of original street characters that called the park home. Does anyone have any information on these guys?

gallery_2_2_397438.jpg

The character on the right is Sir Wild N. Woolly (sp?) and we believe the fourth from the left is Mayor Hock N. Swippit (sp?). Can anyone confirm these names (and spellings) as well as the others in the picture?

• 4 weeks later...
Before the Looney Tunes characters moved in during the mid 80's Great Adventure had a whole cast of original street characters that called the park home. Does anyone have any information on these guys?

gallery_2_2_397438.jpg

The character on the right is Sir Wild N. Woolly (sp?) and we believe the fourth from the left is Mayor Hock N. Swippit (sp?). Can anyone confirm these names (and spellings) as well as the others in the picture?

The character that is first on the left is Cap N Crunch (as in the cereal) and he roamed the park when the cereal sponsored the Aqua Spectacle (I believe 1978-1980). The character that you referrred to as Mayor Hock N. Swippit (I was always under the impression) was supposed to be a charicature of Warner LeRoy. I know that character was easily amongst the most visible in the park and he roamed the park from day one.

Although not pictured here, there was also a giant chicken/rooster amongst the street characters (I personally found it to be terrifying as a child). Also, beginning in 1976 or 1977 Spiderman (who I had my pictures taken with) and Captain America were street characters as well, but I don't recall seeing them once Six Flags bought the park. Technically, I believe Kiddie Kingdom was originally called Marvel's Kiddie Kingdom (but I don't believe they actually had a licensing agreement).

^ Now that you mention it Daved, that does look like Cap N Crunch!

I never quite understood how a giant chicken fit into the mix other than Warner's "larger than life" theme!

gallery_2_28_770153.jpg

I'm pretty sure about Cap N Crunch... If you look closely in the Magic Til Midnight commercial you'll also see him near the Flying Wave.

How do I post pictures here? I have some of Spiderman, Keystone Kops, a stilt bike rider, etc. if you're interested in seeing them.

^ That would be great Daved. Directions for posting photos to the galleries can be found HERE, or if the photos already reside at another location on the web and you have a URL address for the photo, simply click the Insert Image icon (two to the left of the smiley icon when making a post) and insert the URL.

Or if you want to email them to us at feedback@greatadventurehistory.com we would be happy to set up an album for you!

^ That would be great Daved. Directions for posting photos to the galleries can be found HERE, or if the photos already reside at another location on the web and you have a URL address for the photo, simply click the Insert Image icon (two to the left of the smiley icon when making a post) and insert the URL.

Or if you want to email them to us at feedback@greatadventurehistory.com we would be happy to set up an album for you!

I think I just figured out how to create an album and post to it... I guess they have to be approved because they appear as "hidden."

The pictures with the old street characters are awesome. Reminds you of the charm the park had back then and what a different level things were on back then. I really find it interesting too that the park had the Marvel character licenses back then and today they have a full 180* going on with the DC character license. Amazing how things change over the years.

The character that you referrred to as Mayor Hock N. Swippit (I was always under the impression) was supposed to be a charicature of Warner LeRoy. I know that character was easily amongst the most visible in the park and he roamed the park from day one.
Great picture, but what do you mean by "remnants of the original entrance" in your Spiderman picture? What were they used for after the gates where moved and when were the remnants removed?

Back to street characters, here's a little history about Looney Tunes characters you might find interesting. I forget what website it's from though but if I can find it I'll post it. You remember how Marriott parks used to license the Looney Tunes Characters for thier parks? Well after Six Flags purachased the Chicago Great America, Six Flags just claimed The Looney Tunes theme park rights for themselves since Marriott already had them. Just wasn't sure if this information would help in anyway.

.....what do you mean by "remnants of the original entrance" in your Spiderman picture? What were they used for after the gates where moved and when were the remnants removed?

The ticket booths and turnstiles were removed after the 1975 season when the entrance was relocated for 1976. However, the ticket-taking stucture remained (less turnstiles and ticket takers) as a simple covered span. It was completely removed in the late 70's. I believe it was 1978. (Daved?)

I never quite understood how a giant chicken fit into the mix other than Warner's "larger than life" theme!

gallery_2_28_770153.jpg

Simple, Larger than life chicken LOL! This is a pretty neat thread, anyone remember the robot that was around in the late 80s early 90s?

Maybe he was hungry or wanted to get sponsored by KFC :P Theres a picture of the robot in the galleries somewhere, I know that, but I forget which one.

Edited by 29yrswithaGApass

The ticket booths and turnstiles were removed after the 1975 season when the entrance was relocated for 1976. However, the ticket-taking stucture remained (less turnstiles and ticket takers) as a simple covered span. It was completely removed in the late 70's. I believe it was 1978. (Daved?)

That is correct. The ticket taker covered area was removed in 1978 and actual roofs (not tents) were added to the two end buildings (one housed restrooms and lost children). You can see in the picture of the antique car on Dream Street (taken in 1980) that the building in the background (toward the left) now had a real roof. I believe this is the same building appearing on the right (with a striped tent roof) in the picture of me with Spiderman (taken in 1977).

Sorry to be off topic, but was it used for anything? Does it still exist anywhere? Also, was the MArvel connection between the original management or the second management brought in for 1975.

The centered covered area that remained after the entrance moved, was not used for anything. Quite frankly, it looked very much like what it was... a former entrance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This happens to be my area of expertise, as I played every one of those characters in the early 80s.

Starting from the left

Officer O'Malley

CatFish

Prince Ruppert

HockenSwipette

Flapperz

Sir Wilden Woolley

other charcaters included

Fritz (the German character shown elsewhere in this thread)

Pedro Parrot

Pierre Le Pup

Maurice Le Rat

Casey Baseball

Wheeler

Buddy Bear

and - in the same vein as Cap'n Crunch

The Drake's Duck

The Armour Hot Dog

Icee Bear

The interesting thing about these characters is they were all SPEAKING characters. You had to do the accent or the voice, and STAY IN CHARACTER.

We even practiced it backstage. Two actors would try to crack each other up with insults while staying in character until one broke down.

I still have the oficial "back stories" and charcater notes for these characters. Here is a short one to give you an idea:

Pierre Le Pup

Pierre Le Pup is a very noble musketeer-like character who speaks with a French accent. He is very interested in what other Body Puppets [costumed characters] are doing and often gets annoyed when they act below his royal standards. He is a member of Prince Ruppert's Dog Court and enjoys sharing an afternoon with the Prince himself. He usuakky sizes up situations and types of people while twirling his shapely mustache. Pierre is a sort of stick-in-the-mud. Please avoid fire hydrant and tree jokes. [!]

Wow, great info!

Do you have pictures or more of the back stories to share? At some point we're putting together a spotlight on the on-grounds characters over the years.

We have a picture of Pedro Parrot and we weren't sure who he was. Do you happen to know who the woman is that walked around with Spiderman? She looks like a superhero, but no one has figured out who she is yet...

Hi Guys -

I saw a picture of a parrot-like character on your site, but that isn't Pedro Parrot.

These characters arrived around 1978, I would think. We continued to use them through 1983, overlapping with the Shirt Tales characters. I believe the costumes were sold off - without employees knowledge! - around 1986 or 1987. I think Matt Brand (is that his name?) bought the costumes, but he had no idea how the pieces went together - what heads went with what costumes and feet.

Don't forget PacMan and Ms. PacMan - arrived in 1982 and used through at least 1984, for sure, maybe 1985. PacMan and Ms. couldn't speak, but they had a cassette player in the head that played the theme song. It was hooked up to some kind of battery. I remember at least once the whole thing caught on fire and got really smoky on the head! I never played PacMan or Ms. because I was too tall. You wore tights, and if the head was too high on your shoulders, well, you weren't covered.

Flapperz, the big clown, was allowed to drop his pants revealing his striped long underwear/jumpsuit. Maurice le Rat was an artist and carried an easel and brush. The costume was like a dress, with tights, so very desirable on the hottest days. Prince Ruppert was like wearing a carpet - hot hot hot - but great freedon of movement. Buddy Bear was also a rug. Pedro Parrot was so polluted by the stench of one cast member that no one but he could wear it for the entire season. Wheeler was just like Yosemite Sam in concept - big head and you looked out of the hat. Officer O"Malley and Casey Baseball were like that also. Sir Wilden Woolie was the nicest costume - I think that one may have been added later because it looked newer. He was supposed to be an English Big Game hunter - ha ha - but because of the Safari, he only shot with a camera. HockenSwipette is described as an older uncle who likes to steal kisses - can you imagine that 30 years later! Casey Baseball was a huge baseball.

I rarely had a camera in those days, but I can take a look in the attic.

I hope you included my favorite character in your book. Can you guess who that was? Tom should know.

I hope you included my favorite character in your book. Can you guess who that was? Tom should know.

One of your 2 favorites is in there...the one who had his own trailer. Believe me I wanted to put a LOT more pictures in than I did. It was like a GA Sophie's Choice for a lot of them. But you'll know a couple of them at least. Did you check out Daved Thomson's gallery? He had a couple of pictures you might be able to identify: http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forum...m&album=440

We had Flapperz head in On-Grounds for a couple of years after the rest of the costumes were gone.