VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Wild Safari Welcomes Two New Lion Cubs

GAcoaster

Source: Six Flags

Lion Cubs

Meet our new lion twins. Six Flags Wild Safari is proud to announce the birth of two rare African lion cubs, Bakari and Zahra.

The cubs were the first lions born at the park in nearly 20 years. On March 12, they made their national debut on TODAY. As part of that appearance, TODAY held an online contest to name the cubs. Choices included Bobo and Aisha, Kali and Lulu or Bakari and Zahra. All of the name selections have deeper meaning. Bobo is "child born on Tuesday" and Aisha represents hope. Kali is strong and Lulu means pearl. Bakari is defined as promising and Zahra means flowering.

gallery_liontwins.jpggallery_lioncub.jpg

The male and female cubs were born in the African Section of the safari to first time mother Nala and father King. The Safari staff observes all births and conducts baby-wellness checks. Our animal experts try to maintain a hands-off operation to allow nature to take its course, but sometimes inexperienced mothers can become overwhelmed and abandon their cubs. When we noticed that Nala wasn't nursing, we stepped in to keep the cubs healthy.

In the last three decades, the lion population has declined approximately 90% due mostly to habitat destruction, lack of prey, human expanion and hunting. The Six Flags Wild Safari staff is proud to welcome the newborns to the park's previous population of seven lions.

The cubs are currently relocated in the nursery. Once they can care for themselves, they will be re-introduced into the lion pride in the African Section. We invite you to come see Bakari and Zahra this spring at the Safari's Exploration Station.

Another great reason to visit the Safari Exploration Station!

One thing for all of us to do is go the Exploration Station early in the Season this year. The won't be "cute and cuddly" for too long. The time they will be there for all to see will be short. I know I have never pet (if were allowed) a Lion Cub before so I will be there!!!

• 1 month later...

I went and saw the Cubs this weekend, and they only have about a Month left before they are going in the new "Lion House" in the Safari. Go and see them while you still can, before they are gone. They will be put in isolation for a little while, and then introduced slowly to the rest of the Lion's in the Safari.

^ Those cubs are fun to watch. For cats they seem to have a lot of energy. Hearing them is just as impressive as seeing them. I know you have to keep your windows closed in the Safari (and I do!) but the sounds of the animals really adds to the experience. That was another aspect of the VIP Safari Tour that made the experience very interesting.

I find it very funny that they call them Rare births? I think we actually started a birth control program way back because Lions breed like rabbits and it is not nessacary to have so many Lions anyway? Tigers, leopards now they are differant and don't seem to breed as well as the Lions do. Still the Safari has a great record of births, two baby rhinos in the first two years, later an elephant birth. We had girraffe births during the first years also. Outstanding!

I think at this point it is rare because they do so much to keep them from over populating. For a while things got VERY crowded in the Safari and they really had to slow the birth rates. I know with the black bears they were working with the State of New Jersey on testing birth control methods since NJ is suddenly becoming over run with black bears and of course no one wants them to be hunted to control the population, but at the same time they don't want the bears in their back yards.