VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Super Teepee

I don't really see the connection. There's nothing politically incorrect about just a teepee itself. If they had Indians running around in face paint and stuff, well then that might be a problem. Still, the budget won't allow it to happen regardless of any political or social considerations. Everything is so ROI-focused these days; they'll almost never build anything unless there is a clear and easily measurable Return On Investment, which a new teepee would most likely not have.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when I was a kid it was fairly busy but by the mid 90s it was not doing to well and during it's last years open it was pretty much deserted. There were many times during F they didn't bother to open the Teepee at all. I think the problem is that it was near the end of the park and stores usually don't do well at the ends of a park. Usually the store near the park's entrance/exit do the best like the main street shops at Disney.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You learn something new every day! This blurb was found in an Asbury Park Press article about the 1975 opening day of Great Adventure. It was dated May 4, 1975.

The giant teepee near the log flume is now an open air theater, thanks to a stiff wind several weeks ago. The $300,000 painted canvas cover blew off and shredded, and officials don't know if or when it will be replaced. A bluegrass band occupied it for most of the day.

FYI - The pricetag of $300K in 1975 is about $1.2 million in 2009.

I hope when Six Flags gets the money they'll replace it with a biger, better, one. Preferably made with something you can repalce, like fiberglass. They could use the original blue prints and everything, so it'd be like it never left. (Provided the two seasons it's missing is forgoten) And one that won't cost as much money...

Edited by ThemeParkRider

This blurb was found in an Asbury Park Press article about the 1975 opening day of Great Adventure. It was dated May 4, 1975.

The giant teepee near the log flume is now an open air theater, thanks to a stiff wind several weeks ago. The $300,000 painted canvas cover blew off and shredded, and officials don't know if or when it will be replaced. A bluegrass band occupied it for most of the day.

If you compare photos of the 1974 and 1975 Super Teepee, you can see they are different. The 1974 skin pattern has an extra set of yellow arrowheads around the top and the caps are different on both. Also, the 1974 canvas has much more slack between the logs which may have been part of the initial problem which caused its destruction.

1974 Canvas:

gallery_2_491_371303.jpg

1975 Canvas:

gallery_2_491_139452.jpg

I don't think SF would spend the money on a new Super Teepee since it won't draw crowds like a new ride would. If they ever do build a new Super Teepee there will probably be a Johnny Rockets inside of it.

I have always noticed that gift shops at the far ends of most parks are usually not busy while the ones near the park exit are very busy. I would like to see a new Teepee built but I don't see it happening for at least a long while.

It's true, gift shops near the exits do much better because people buy things on the way out of the park instead of having to carry them around or pay for a locker to store them.

Everyone would love to see the teepee replaced, but Six Flags would never do it. They do not put that much money or creativity into buildings, especially if it would not be expected to create a large return on the investment.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...