VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Off Season Tour - April 1st, 2009

29yrswithaGApass

That really aggravates me. Shapiro's main goal was to have all rides in the park running all the time and have nothing sbno. It really just goes to show how big of a BSer he really is. I know this is out of Great Adventures control but it shows how much corporate is destroying our park. And they try to pass off the restoration of the Big Weel and Carousel as additions. All i see it as is maintenance. Is Tango the only thing expected to be closed?

That really aggravates me. Shapiro's main goal was to have all rides in the park running all the time and have nothing sbno. It really just goes to show how big of a BSer he really is. I know this is out of Great Adventures control but it shows how much corporate is destroying our park. And they try to pass off the restoration of the Big Weel and Carousel as additions. All i see it as is maintenance. Is Tango the only thing expected to be closed?

They are not "trying to pass off the restoration of the Big Wheel and Carousel as additions", they are celebrating their history with the park and giving them the long needed TLC the old management team didn't.

Corporate is not "trying to destroy the park" they are making decisions based on economic facts. Tango had very low ridership. Keeping it closed until the season gets busier is smart. Why blow budget on a ride that isn't needed yet? This is a business, not a game of Roller Coaster Tycoon.

One of the big mistakes made by past management was blowing the budget on staffing on days where the crowds didn't warrant it, then not having any money left in the budget later in the season when they really needed the staffing to handle the crowds.

Well its bad enough that they are closed but Tango? I thought Six Flags was done with giant lawn ornaments but apparently I was wrong.

Six Flags is done with squandering money on things that either don't work or aren't needed based on crowd levels. Should the crowds warrant it, I'm sure that anything SBNO would be brought on line very quickly.

^I agree with GAcoaster here. I think these decisions are in the best interest of the company at the time. I know in past seasons I have seen ride operators at things such as Tango with 1 or 2 people on the ride at a time, and it just doesn't seem worth it at all. Heck as much as I love Houdini, I can understand that it might not be worth operating it with issues they have had, and that money can go to better places. I think the park is going to seem just fine when everyone gets there on Saturday morning and everything will be on its way to a successful season.

Nice spotlight and about the closed rides, they will use the staffing issuses and crowds card as an excuse to remove Houdini and Tango so they can supposedly increase capacity on the remaining rides. I find it funny how the crowds don't warrant Houdini and Tango to be open yet the crowds some how warrent another Johnny Rockets, Food Court, Cyber Cafe, etc. :confused1:

Edited by The Master

^ Really good point.

While I understand the idea of not upping staffing until peak season, if there's anything the old management showed us it's that you can't do that with rides. The Old Country and Houdini closures work because guests don't see those rides, and the water ride closures work because there's a rationale for them not being open early and late in the season: it's not yet hot out. The same would be the case for Tango if it were removed, or secluded on a path that could be closed off. But given that it is in such a prominent and easily visible place, having Tango or something like it SBNO, even for just part of the season, is an invitation for guests to feel ill will toward the park and a very bad decision. In my mind, that goes for any ride, no matter how low ridership is, and whether or not it's listed on the map.

Edited by pashacar

no, its a smart move for all the reasons stated. They blew the budget last year in security and ended up having to cut back on hours just as june was getting into full swing. Other departments did the same and security ended up working admin in front or as flash pass attendants or locker attendants in addition to their regular duties. There is some talk of getting trained on ride ops to help out during busy days. i dont want that to happen again this year.

They need to train the security guards better. Not once did I see a guard bust someone for cutting last year, even when it happened right under their nose. I'm not saying that the guards don't work hard, but the park should do a better job of training and empowering them, and shouldn't have them all just stand at the entrance to rides.

I was in line for TDK last year when a kid cut me and bunch of other people. I said something, and he threatened me, which, to be honest, was a pretty scary and awful experience. Meanwhile, there were three security guards about 15 feet away from us, but they were all standing at the entrance talking, with not one looking at the line. That's just stupid and frustrating.

EDIT: I forgot to get to my main point: If they have better training, some of the budget can be saved because they can afford to hire fewer guards. As with many things in life, it's about quality, not quantity.

In relation to Tango, again, I have no problem with them not running it, but keeping it sitting in full view of the guests is just foolish and a step back to the era of Premier's mismanagement and tarnishing the Six Flags brand.

Edited by pashacar

You are correct...it is. The poor management of the old Corporate team put the company $2.5 billion in debt, and the new team has to deal with the mess which means making sacrifices.

Had the old management team not decided to build Kingda Ka, every ride flat ride in the park that has been removed since then could have been saved. It's a tough choice, but since Kingda Ka is so visible and was such a huge investment, it makes a lot more sense to sacrifice the little run of the mill flats and keep marquis attractions open with the idea that eventually as things improve the flats can come back.

Most of the general public will never notice that there are a few less flats...only the fanboys who complain about the park not building roller coasters, then complain about the park not having enough flat rides because the coasters eat up the budget.

Personally I think the park has more than enough roller coasters and they need to focus on other areas which they are doing to an extent but some of the things they are doing like the cyber cafe I think are unnecessary and the money better spent on other things. But the park has so many coasters now that they kind of messed things up. I rather see GAdv install some flats instead of a new coaster the next time they decide to install a new ride and the park is missing such basic staples such as flying swings and bumper cars. What I am afraid of is that they may decide to put more rides on the SBNO list which is the first step to being removed.

Edited by The Master

In my opinion, with today's economic climate (not just Six Flags but the entire U.S.), if the only impact we see at Great Adventure is the temporary closure of Tango, well bravo!

Businesses, including other entertainment segments and venues, are cutting hours, cutting services, cutting quality, while raising prices. You don't see that at Six Flags today. Guests can experience an entire season of entertainment practically for the same price as going out to dinner and a movie two or three times. The park is investing time and money bringing in new forms of entertainment while refurbishing and renovating areas and rides that have needed sprucing up for years.

I fully understand the need for more flat rides and a balanced ride offering. I hope that we do see kiddie, family, and thrill seeker offerings level out in the years ahead. But honestly, Tango ran empty the majority of last year, and I doubt it was on anyone's "must do's" list for tomorrow.

Things like the new Cyber Cafe, the Boardwalk Food Court and the Mporium are MINIMAL investments which will all pay for themselves quickly. A flat ride is something that only costs the park money and brings no direct return on investment.

Yes, the park does have too many coasters, but unfortunately that's not something can can easily be undone. And when they have done something about it (Chiller) all the enthusiasts did was bitch that they took out a coaster.

It seems like a lose-lose with some people (especially people claiming to be "fans" of the park) because no matter what they add or do, it's the wrong thing.

My feeling is this will be the BEST season for the park in many years. The restoration of classic rides, the re-introduction of fireworks, the addition to the GITP Parade, the continued emphasis on training, security and cleanliness, and the many infrastructure upgrades around the park will make it the best it can be.