VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags or Great Adventure?

Our Park's Name  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which name do you use to refer to our park in Jackson, NJ?

• Great Adventure
    • Six Flags
  2. 2. What decade were you born?

• 1960's and Before
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • Year 2000 or later

I also always call it Great Adventure. I don't think I have ever referred to the park as just Six Flags.

I was born in the 80's and started going to the park in the 80's (I am guessing around 1985 - 1986)

One of the reasons I posted this poll was because for the fist time I am hearing more and more visitors (usually the younger guests) calling the park Six Flags. I guess the "More Flags" campaign is influencing people.

I am "old school" - to me it will always be Great Adventure.

I call it Great Adventure,even though some my friends call it Six Flags.Others just call it Great Adventure and think the actual name for the Six Flags chain is Great Adventure.I have to explain to them the company name is Six Flags,and this parks name is Great Adventure :lol2:

• 2 weeks later...

I call it Six Flags, my parents call it Great Adventure because thats the name they're used to, and so do my grandparents. Occasionally, since my gradparents don't know Six Flags owned the park (and time warner owned it too) I will call it Great Adventure around them. :lol:

Six Flags Great Adventure rules!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, definetly Great Adventure. My friends are all like "ooooh yeah, Six Flags", and I always say "you mean Great Adventure." I'm a 90's child, but since I go to this website I know that this was not originally part of Six Flags. My friends don't seem to understand why I know so much about all the little details of the park.

I <3 GAdv!

I've always been afraid they were going to eliminate the Great Adventure name altogether. After Six Flags bought the park and added Six Flags to the name, the Great Adventure part of the name kept getting smaller and the Six Flags name kept getting bigger. I assumed sooner or later Great Adventure would disappear altogether. Then it did disappear in the merchandise as the company just made general Six Flags merchandise and shipped it to all of their parks. Luckily it seems they decided at some point that it makes sense to keep the unique name each park has as a way of identifying each one. I still wish the park's sign was more "Great Adventure" than just plain small block letters under the general Six Flags sign.

• 7 years later...

Depends on your age. Those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's always think of it as Great Adventure. The branding since the 1990's has focused on Six Flags more than the Great Adventure name in an effort to brand the whole chain better and save on advertising costs. The new trend though is slowly going back to the original park names and identities.

Random Question:

Do you call the park Six Flags, Six Flags Great Adventure, or just Great Adventure?

My kids drive me nuts-they see & hear the commercials and call it SF or SFGA. I just call it GA.

As a local I call it great adventure. Even as a young kid, if we heard anyone call it six flags it would make us cringe. People would always say 'Six flags' is what tourists call it.

• Like 1

I'm 16 and I've always called it Six Flags. When I'm talking to friends about the park, I always have to say "Six Flags" or they'll have no idea what I'm talking about if I say "Great Adventure". Many of my older relatives who used to go to the park when it was called Great Adventure still call it that. I used to joke around with them when they called it that and say "It used to be just Great Adventure like thirty years ago why do you keep calling it that everyone says Six Flags" lol.