VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

GA's Carousel inspired by the Safari Park?

I once read that the rounding boards on the top of Great Adventure's Carousel, as well as some of the other artwork, were repainted at some point in the ride's long and rich history. Looking at the animal themed murals, I've always wondered if this occurred prior to its arrival at Great Adventure or if it was "themed" to tie the Safari Park together with the Enchanted Forest.

It's also possible that it may have been the animal theme that really caught Warner LeRoy's eye and inspired him to purchase it for Great Adventure.

Any carousel historians out there with information on this Patrina Williams masterpiece? Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Here are photos of the rounding boards taken about ten years ago:

gallery_2_28_3912.jpg

gallery_2_28_435306.jpg

gallery_2_28_427074.jpg

gallery_2_28_763.jpg

gallery_2_28_47792.jpg

gallery_2_28_430327.jpg

gallery_2_28_426353.jpg

gallery_2_28_475773.jpg

gallery_2_28_458687.jpg

gallery_2_28_402387.jpg

gallery_2_28_380288.jpg

gallery_2_28_120163.jpg

I am trying to remember the History of the Carousel. I think it came over from England and was steam driven at one time? We had another old Carousel at Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus World in Fla. Both old carousels had alot of history to them.

It very well could of been done special for the theme of the Safari? I do remember that there was alot of talk about the old carousel, I do wish I had paid more attention to details back then. I kinda had my hands full with 28 elephants, 16 white rhinos and 52 ostriches in my charge. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I am trying to remember the History of the Carousel. I think it came over from England and was steam driven at one time? We had another old Carousel at Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus World in Fla. Both old carousels had alot of history to them.

The carousel that was at Circus World came from Bertrand Island Amusement Park in Mt. Arlington NJ.

It operated at Bertrand Island from the mid 1930's until the late 70's. I used to ride it all the time when I was a child since Bertrand Island was across the lake from me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...