VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Closure/Retheme of Old Country?

This is the way the company has ALWAYS run. They add flats, they take them out. They go after the family market, they go after the teen market. Nothing is new, just the people running things at the top. Trust me, I've seen it before. Another year or so (assuming they can become more financially stable) there will be a huge influx of rides which will be advertised as this great new thing (just like in 1999). I've seen enough of those news conferences where corporate executives say something along the lines of, "we did something and heard from guests it was the wrong thing, so now we'll over-compensate", and then there will be too many rides to staff again, and they will start taking them out again. It's about a 10-year cycle.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love coasters, I do not like how it really is beginning to seem like you choices are coasters or kiddie rides because you are ostricizing a huge group of people.

I don't think the park is denying they are kiddie/coaster focused- see the panel from their pamphlet (below right). I think they also realize that they now need to start filling in the gap.

gallery_2_4_53111.jpg

Behind the Autobhan is were that old haunted house that burned down was. At that time the park said they would never build any rides there again. So for years they had a memorial garden for the people who died in the fire there. Then in 99 they put a swinging ride there which was gone soon and left a blank spot.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2008 map should look very different this year with the closure of Musik Express, Autobahn and various other attractions from the Spin Meister site around to The Dark Knight Coaster. I think we can assume that the entire area will be closed off but that leaves the question of how do groups access the Old Country Picnic Grove? Access through the main entrance mall is possible, but I doubt management would want to encourage guests to exit the park to access through that entrance.

gallery_2_10_1007383.jpg

Knowing that alot of rides were taken out, theres going to be ALOT of space in that area, ALOT

MTWe and Chiller were more than enough for TDK and now theres even more, maybe this is part of future expansion?

• 1 month later...

No definite plans for The Old Country were stated and the area will remain "as is" at least for now. The Musik Express and Autobahn are still 100% intact. The only comment made was that the area was being evaluated because it was underutilized and that their focus at this point is on 2008 so we shouldn't expect any changes to the site in the near future.

The gate between the Musik Express and the Chiller station was open and it's interesting to note the large piece of unused land that's available for Old Country expansion (if that's the future theme). :)

Awesome well I am sure they will find something to do with that area. There really is a ton of space for them to work with on either a refurbishment or a completely new area altogether. I am excited to see what we get in the future, but for now it is nice to see that they aren't just tearing it apart from the get go.

Screamscape says there are now rumors that SF's plan for Old Country is to bring in demolition crews and slowly clear the area out over the next couple of years just to open space for new future projects.

Edited by The Master

• 2 weeks later...
So now that Old Country is closed, is there an official kosher eatery elsewhere in the park to replace Reuben's Glatt Spot? The thought occurred to me on Sunday when I saw all the long black skirts in the park...

It has been relocated to Looney Tunes Camp Kitchen in Bugs Bunny National Park. Seriously.

^ That's an interesting place for them to place it. Although it's nice of them not to just remove it completely for the time being.

Anyone know what the deal is with the new cabanas in the park. I know they have them at Hurricane Harbor with some deals but was curious what kind of stuff they are including in the main park?

• 2 months later...

You can also see it real good going up the lift hill on Nitro. Seems like they just blocked it off with some planters and benches, out of sight out of mind until the winter rehab presumably.

• 3 weeks later...

I walk through everyday and the only thing I see from a upclose view is 1 sign gone and bumpercars fence missing and what looks to be a rehab of the ride, with alot of construction material on the ride floor. And the little snack stand next to M.E. was recently completly cleared out. Nothing major at all. Like I said , it looks like something may be being done with Autobahn but other than that nothing.