VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Closure/Retheme of Old Country?

I was at work the other day, an old co-worker of mine who is a Supervisor in Entertainment, told me that Old Country from the Security Booth all the way down to Justice Leauge Headquarters has been closed down and Musik Express/Autobahn are being removed. This leads to a few ideas... here is one that CycloneMan and I were disuccing, and that's a retheme into Gotham City. Or, maybe they are closing it for sure, I have no idea.

Thoughts?

(Sorry if it's in the wrong forum)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rumor form another source who said the same thing...that the Old Country Area would be closed all of next season for future development. It's an interesting thought, but I have to wonder if it would be possible to close all that area off since it also has the Old Country Picnic Grove. Corporate outings in the park make up a large chunk of tickets sales and revenue, and not having access would hurt the park a lot.

We'll see. I have heard that we may see a bunch of new flats coming to the Old Country area for 2009, but I wouldn't count on anything being set in stone unless SF can improve their finances. I think losing as many rides as they are this season, compounded with the rides lost over the last few seasons and losing Music Express and Autobahn as well could really turn families off from visiting and could make matters worse.

I remember the time when the park had no bumper cars after the old building was destroyed by a storm, and that was one of the biggest complaints from guests was there were no bumper cars.

I'm half expecting to see portable rides being brought in to the park mid way through the summer after they get complaints...

This just baffles me at the amount of rides that they are removing! We lose Fling, Chiller, MTWE, Musik Express, and Autobahn? They've got the small kids pretty well covered with Wiggles and Such and Coasters for the thrill seekers, but those in between will only have those few flats left, and those get some serious lines in the summer! I hope they are getting some kind of replacements for next season or at least have more shows in the show venues this year! Seems like everything except the Showcase Theater is getting changed over in that area!

Well...like I said, I just hope they do something good. I've wanted a Gotham City section for ever! I also want the Garden of Eatin back!

-Dainan "I know it's the same place, but I loved the name!" Rafferty

I was at work the other day, an old co-worker of mine who is a Supervisor in Entertainment, told me that Old Country from the Security Booth all the way down to Justice League Headquarters has been closed down and Musik Express/Autobahn are being removed.
Never trust an entertainment supe if you want accurate info; no department is further removed than entertainment. During my time there, I was in awe of just how much misinformation I heard there...

Ya, it vil always be De Gartin of Eatin to me too. :D
I know someone else who calls it ze gartin uf eatin...

gallery_2_1_9361.jpg

I've heard the same rumor. It's not a bad idea if it comes with filling in Chaos, Spin Meister, Evolution, Pirate's Flight and Fantasy Fling's (tbd) areas with family rides. Shapiro likes bumper cars. It's possible to locate the ride to the old location in the Fantasy Forest.

Doesn't Disney's Fantasyland have old country architecture? Fantasy Forest and Old Country could be merged. Hopefully? Fantasy Fling would be like the 18th non-kiddie ride lost in the past 8 seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

No need for a PM, as I've been reading many posts regarding the removal of a number of flats. Rest assured, I'll get pictures of these areas on my next flyover, whenever that takes place. And at the rate we're going with icy, wintry weather, that may not be 'til NEXT YEAR :)

Edited by Flyin Phil

• 1 month later...

Screamscape has posted an updated rumor about the closure of The Old Country.

Screamscape sources have filled us in on a very interesting fact many may not have considered. Over the past few years pretty much every ride on the pathway through what I believe is called Old Country over towards The Dark Knight Coaster area has been removed. The list includes The Chiller and Water Effect but also Stuntman’s Freefall, Spin Meister, Spinnaker and Pendulum. With The Dark Knight Coaster taking up mostly space used by the former Water Effect ride and the entrance and exit facing the old Batman show arena, we’ve heard that newly empty pathway will now be closed off to the general public. If the plans go through the way we’ve herd, about the only way anyone will be going down this way in 2008 is if they are part of a private picnic group who will still have to use the pathway to get to the picnic grotto. I’m not entirely familiar with this area of the park right now however, so are there any other attractions left back here that could be closed all season because of this plan?

It does seem odd that so many flats have disappeared from that area over the years. Given GA's current ride mix, in 2009 I think I would rather get a handful of quality flats instead of another new coaster.

^ You're using you head Harry. Snyder doesn't use that part to make his decisions.

The problem with this Screamscape rumor is neither Spinnaker, Chiller, FreeFall nor MovieTown Wat...Splash Water Falls were in the Old Country.

Chaos and Evolution were in the Fantasy Forest and Spin Meister, Pirate's Flight and Jump were in the neighborhood and Fantasy Forest is still open.

That's somewhat dissapointing to say the least. While there hasn't been much action down there the last few yeaqrs, it is still a nice area just to take a walk through and relax. Besideshaving to take the long way through the park just to get to the Dark Knight is going to lead to so much foot traffic. Obvisouly I'll still do it but still would like to be able to take the route through the old country.

With GAdv removing so many flats it's going to end up like SFMM with a few more little kids rides. GAdv really needs more new flats that will stay, (not be removed a few years later like 1999). Also they are really need a new water ride to replace Splash Down. I really dislike how the park lets the Picnic groups in before the GP so if you run over to Nitro first thing, it's queue is already filled with picnic people. It will even be worse with Chiller gone and before Dark Kinght opens.

Edited by The Master