VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Day 3- Install The Dark Knight's Skyline

What a difference a skyline would make! This is one of those things that once it is up, the park would look at it and say "we should have done this two years ago!".

Throw in a wandering bat signal at night that sweeps the skyscrapers and it would be like a new attraction from the outside that would really draw riders.

And this was mentioned before by someone... paint something like "Soundstage 74" in the upper corner on the back and sides of the building to make it seem less like a big metal box and more like a part of Movietown.

I don't think any further investment can really improve this structure. "The Dark Knight" at Six Flags Mexico supposably has all the "theming" installed, and I just think it looks cheap. "13 13 Cemetery Way" here at Long Island's Adventureland even surpasses "TDK's" attempt.

I propose moving "TDK" outdoors, and giving it a "Looney Tunes" overlay. Reinstall it in "Looney Tunes Seaport", and make it a family attraction. With the footprint opened up by "TDK's" removal in "Movie Town", plan out the next big thing.

I just think "The Dark Knight" is damaged goods with the general public, and no further investment will correct this problem. I will agree painting a soundstage designation and number would help tie that eyesore into "Movie Town". It's an inexpensive improvement.

Most people's man concern is it isn't thrilling enough because they don't understand that certain rides are ment for certain people (Kiddie, Family, General and Thrilling). Basically, its like comparing the Big Wheel to the Buccanear. They're not the same. Just because its not thrilling for them doesn't mean for the younger crowd it isn't. If all the rides were thrilling coasters at GA no kids would go. And that's just wrong. Look at it this way: If all the rides were kiddie rides would you still be going? Or would you be complaining because they're not thrilling enouch?

Look, it's the park's responsibility to shape the customer's expectation for the ride. Angel Aristone collects a nice cheque I'm sure every week to do this. Mark Kane stood there on "TDK Opening Day" saying "You know how Six Flags builds coasters...". Considering Six Flags is known for Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nitro, Batman, Batman & Robin: The Chiller, and Superman; what do you think the customer is going to expect? Outside of the pre-show, it's not a dark ride. It's an enclosed coaster that fails to tell a story.

The fact "The Dark Knight" isn't a family friendly movie is failure #1 on Six Flags's part. An analyst questioned Mark Shapiro on a 2008 Conference Call regarding this matter. Shapiro stumbled about his words, before finally admitting he didn't know who "The Dark Knight" movie's target audience was. One of the primary reasons Tim Burton was fired from the Batman Franchise was the dark nature and PG-13 rating for "Batman Returns".

Failure #2 was not properly marketing the ride as "an in-the-dark experience set to The Dark Knight story". The park could have still used the wild mouse coaster as the mechanism to tell the story, but utilize breaking and themed cutouts to reflect what's going on.

Failure #3 was half-assing the theming effort and slashing the ride's budget prior to its opening.

Failure #4 was opening "The Dark Knight" in the same year they removed "Batman & Robin: The Chiller", as well as installing it in the same area. Many people saw "TDK" as its replacement. Despite the fact one had nothing to do with the other, it left many disappointed.

Your example of comparing "The Big Wheel" to "The Buccaneer" isn't analog. A Ferris Wheel is not a swinging ship. They're not even remotely similar. "TDK" is a coaster, like "Batman The Ride" is a coaster. Now, when the park's GM, head PR lady, company CEO, and subsequent advertising hype a "thrilling in the dark coaster" on the "Six Flags" Level, people will expect a ride on that level. Look at it this way. If Dick Kinzel said, "You know how Cedar Point builds coasters", what would you expect?

I stopped patronizing Great Adventure with the 2009 season. My family just lacked the enthusiasm to go. We all like coasters, but they asked me what else is there to do anymore? They remember the "Joust-a-Bout", "Enterprise", "Musik Express", "Bumper Cars", "Swiss Bob", "Calypso", "Freefall", "Riptide", "Condor", all the elements so blatantly missing in the park today. I'm not going to make a 2 and 1/2 hour drive from Long Island all by myself. I mention Great Adventure nowadays and my dad says, "How about we just go to Universal in the fall?" or "How about Dorney? They include a waterpark you know." I went from 5 season passes and spending amounts in the park over the years that may embarrass me, to ZERO. You'll say I'm biased and I'll agree. My family on the other hand could care less about who runs the place. There's nothing to do besides ride some great coasters, and for them that's not enough.

Thunderbolt, I must say I agree with about half of what you said. But I'm not saying this to attack your opinion. :chillpill: I'm pretty sure Mark Kain said that so the ride would attract more guests. You are right that they are both coasters, but that still doesn't mean they're the same kind. And, if you listen to the preshow it actually does a light theme. That's all I want to say, but I can't change your opinion so I respect that. <_<

Because of The Dark Knight tie-in, Warner Brothers had a huge say in how this ride was promoted to the public.

I would like to see some proof of that. Outside of IP License, and basic agreements over how said IP would be used (i.e. coaster pre-show); I seriously doubt Warner Brothers dictated to Six Flags how to market their attraction. If the agreement between Six Flags and WB was anything beyond "pay to play", I'm certain the company would have disclosed this. Warner Brothers most likely maintained final approval. However, all ads and materials were pure Six Flags. Warner Brothers certainly did not write the copy Angel and Mark read at Media Day.

See 'The Wizarding World of Harry Potter". Universal Entertainment is handling all the marketing, engineering, and design. J.K. Rowling has the final approval, and Warner collects the cheque.

^ The difference with The Dark Knight Coaster was that the ride opened BEFORE the movie premiered. They were not making a ride based on a film that was around for years so the studio played a major role in what, when, and how things were communicated.

I'm sure Warner Bros. dictated the terms of IP use, and its subsequent implementation to PROTECT "The Dark Knight" Movie. Without doubt, Warner Bros. played a major role in overseeing the pre-show story and its video component production. I'm sure they controlled which characters could appear, and how they're "stylized". I would even agree Warner made sure the attraction story would not distract the general public from seeing the actual movie. Other than that, I'd bet dollars to donuts, it was pure Six Flags. Didn't Six Flags even brag about this?

I just can't believe Warner Bros. dictated to Six Flags how they should market it (beyond IP usage). It's suicide to say this is a type of coaster typically installed by this company; up to this point. Not communicating what the ride is, instead of raising Kingda Ka like expectations truly harmed this attraction. I never hear people exiting "Skull Mountain" saying "this ride sucks, don't bother to ride it", like I do with "The Dark Knight". Both rides are similar, with "Skull Mountain" edging it out with better theming (building).

If Warner Bros. was the faulty party in "TDK's" result, then Six Flags was robbed. If my suspicions are correct, than someone at Six Flags (or Great Adventure) failed Marketing 101.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Okay you make a great point. But maybe for now on they could put a plaque in front of their rides saying how thrilling and whay age group each ride is ment to be. Like the website.

No need to spend the money on that,that's the team member at the entrance of the rides job,all the people need to do is ask us.

Guests don't read signs anyway,and I know from experiance,they are either completely oblivious to the signs,or they don't think the sign applies to them or don't believe the sign,then they ask us in the end anyway.

The sign was part of the problem, in 2008 the sign out front said it was a "high thrill" ride, the same category as all the major coasters in the park.

If I was a member of the GP saw that sign, I would think it was an indoor coaster like Flight of Fear or Rock N Rollercoaster.

I heard people ask the person at the entrance numerous times if the ride goes upside down so it seems most people are expecting a major thrill ride.

It's a fun ride, I just hate the pre-show (after seeing it 25+ times you just want to skip it and get on the coaster)

On busy days the pre-show is fine, you will have to wait anyway. It's on low attendance days when the ride should be a walk on that the pre-show is most annoying. The pre-show is longer then the ride itself!

On slower days they've eliminated the pre-show and have you walk right through to the queue...