VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Alpen Blitz

29yrswithaGApass

• 1 month later...

I can remember riding this ride several times at Great Adventure back in 1977. Since then I have only seen this type of ride one other time at Dinosaur Beach (Hunt's Pier) in Wildwood in the mid 90s. Roller Coaster Data Base does not list any US parks that currently feature this style of ride but I was wondering if anyone has seen any Alpen Blitz rides recently in a traveling fair?

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The top two images below look like they COULD have been taken at Great Adventure. The trees, lampposts, benches, and small chain fencing are the same kind used at Great Adventure in the early 70s. The structure on the far left is unknown to me though. Anyone who recalls the area have an opinion if it's GA?

OKalpenblitz2.jpg

• 9 months later...

To add to the Alpen Blitz story, here are some photos of the ride after its removal in September of 1978 being stored next to the brand new Lightnin' Loops coaster. The site vacated by Alpen Blitz would become home to the first version of the Haunted Castle used during a 1978 Halloween event.

gallery_2_43_56765.jpg

gallery_2_43_325513.jpg

gallery_2_43_484411.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did you know: Great Adventure was the first park in the United States to install an Alpen Blitz ride. It was introduced at Oktoberfest in Germany in the fall of 1975. Great Adventure followed the development and production of the ride for over a year and it was commissioned after a successful introduction and testing in Europe.

• 3 months later...

The top two images below look like they COULD have been taken at Great Adventure. The trees, lampposts, benches, and small chain fencing are the same kind used at Great Adventure in the early 70s. The structure on the far left is unknown to me though. Anyone who recalls the area have an opinion if it's GA?

OKalpenblitz2.jpg

After seeing the vintage photo below, I am even further convinced that the upper left photo in the Schwarzkopf ad was taken at Great Adventure. Not only is that roof structure the same, but the lampposts immediately next to it appear to be the exact same style!

gallery_2_43_113967.jpg

After seeing the vintage photo below, I am even further convinced that the upper left photo in the Schwarzkopf ad was taken at Great Adventure. Not only is that roof structure the same, but the lampposts immediately next to it appear to be the exact same style!

gallery_2_43_113967.jpg

Just to add my two cents on opinions of this... I would say that the picture was taken at Great Adventure. As you said the lamp posts and area look very similar. As for the structure in the upper left picture, it looks to me like it could be the back of the Swabinchin ride which would have been on the left as you walked past the entrance to Garden of Eating with the Alpen Blitz being on the right just before the entrance.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...