VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

What ever happened to hat shops?

I was just looking at a picture that had Paul Revere's hat stand in the background and it got me thinking about the hat stands that used to be in the park.

I remember Paul Revere's at the fountain and The Mad Hatter which was next to the Enterprise. If I remember there used to be a hat shop next to the Western Shooting Gallery, and at one point there was a hat shop under the Runaway Mine Train.

What happened that hat shops went out of fashion? It used to be EVERY theme park had hat shops, many of them even doing embroidery like you get on mouse ears.

did4.jpg

Things go in and out of fashion all the time. Like back in the 80s, digital dash displays in cars were popular. But in the 90s they fell out of fashion and cars went back to analong gauges. Now digital displays are popular again in modern cars.

• 5 months later...

The hat shop next to the old Western Shoot Out is a mystery. It was on some of the earliest maps but I have never seen a good picture of it, probably do to its very remote location.

This is the best image of the Hats Hats Hats shop that I could find (from Sept 1978). Notice that the two signs on the building's roof are different - one for the Western Shoot Out and one for the hat shop.

gallery_2_43_610929.jpg

The hat shop next to the old Western Shoot Out is a mystery. It was on some of the earliest maps but I have never seen a good picture of it, probably do to its very remote location.

This is the best image of the Hats Hats Hats shop that I could find (from Sept 1978). Notice that the two signs on the building's roof are different - one for the Western Shoot Out and one for the hat shop.

gallery_2_43_610929.jpg

One day i went by the old shootign gallery and the door to that side was open. i didnt go in, but I couldnt hel;p but peak in. ironically, its an office still used for some park costumes(nothing thats strictly behind scenes like Looney Tunes Costumes) and, funny enought, there were shelves, FILLED WITH HATS!

gallery_2_43_610929.jpg

wow, where is this building? I'm trying to place it in the park today and I just cant see it..

^ It is within the Log Flume loop next to the Best of the West BBQ restaurant.

Oh ok. Its all boarded up now right? And was it ever used for a halloween walkthrough? Because I thought there was on back there a few years back, correct me if im wrong ;)

• 2 months later...

The big issue which most likely led to the demise of the hat shops was shrinkage (theft). Given the outdoor locations and the piling of hats across a wide open space (with usually only one employee) theft was a huge issue. The park tried to remedy this by enclosing Paul Revere but with the loss of the outdoor "shelf appeal" sales also declined.