VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Day 16- A Complete Rehab of Rolling Thunder

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling Thunder needs a complete rehab...lot's of track work and new rolling stock would be great! Maybe something along the lines of the Texas Giant rehab or maybe a rehab by GCI with reprofiling/new track and Millennium Flyer trains or even Timberliners if they work out for the Voyage.

ibox02.JPG

dd6423cdbf_full.jpg

5196883892_1c0936bb93.jpg

Millennium Flyer trains would be great. The recent work on Rolling Thunder has helped the ride somewhat, but in a non wheel seat, the ride is still rough. Plus new trains would hopefully help the dispatch times since it seems like the slow dispatches are because of the seatbelts and how they are difficult to buckle and/or check because of the buzzbars. A lot of the time the train has already completed the circuit and on the brakes waiting to go back into the station before the other train has been checked.

Our wish for day 16-

gallery_1_288_243539.jpg

I totally agree with the rehab of rolling thunder its a great ride but needs a new paint job and also lights needed to the coaster that would be awesome hope to see it when i come to the park in 2011 :rolleyes:

I agree with the rehab - but I would be against getting a Texas Giant coaster - Rolling Thunder should always remain a classic woodie - but I think a GCI makeover would keep it "classic" but make it better. Millenium Flyers would be great - they REALLY helped out Wildcat, which used to be super rough.

I agree with the rehab - but I would be against getting a Texas Giant coaster - Rolling Thunder should always remain a classic woodie - but I think a GCI makeover would keep it "classic" but make it better. Millenium Flyers would be great - they REALLY helped out Wildcat, which used to be super rough.

It is not as rough. It is still rough but not as much.

define "wooden"

A "steel" coaste has track thats tubular steel, like you see on Nitro, Bizzaro, Mine Train, etc.

A "wooden" coaster has track thats flat sheets of steel bolten to a wooden frame

Contrary to popular belief, coasters are not classified as wooden/steel by the material their supports is made out of. For example, the Runaway Mine Train is a STEEL coaster with WOODEN supports while The Great White at Morey's is a WOODEN coaster with STEEL supports. These are reffered to as hybrids.

Steel Track:

h90h01btg8kg0065kgqhrg.jpg

Wooden track:

82gf0008mi3a7e2525c233.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about anyone else, but seeing these extreme elements with skimpy supporting just screams "downtime, downtime, downtime"

As with any new method of building or improving coasters, there's going to be a lot of growing pains and trial and error. I really think that Texas Giant is gonna go through a lot of it.

They are simply because they are reprofiling the ride as well. I have to assume they know what they're doing. If I had to guess, the new trains are probably a lot lighter than the old trains were, so the decreased weight combined with increased stresses on the structure probably balance each other out. We'll see what happens in the spring.

I still think it's a valid option for revitalizing a good old coaster like Rolling Thunder, even if it was more or less keeping it the same as it is with new rails and rolling stock. The increased speed and smoothness would go a LONG way! :D

A "steel" coaste has track thats tubular steel, like you see on Nitro, Bizzaro, Mine Train, etc.

A "wooden" coaster has track thats flat sheets of steel bolten to a wooden frame

Contrary to popular belief, coasters are not classified as wooden/steel by the material their supports is made out of. For example, the Runaway Mine Train is a STEEL coaster with WOODEN supports while The Great White at Morey's is a WOODEN coaster with STEEL supports. These are reffered to as hybrids.

Steel Track:

h90h01btg8kg0065kgqhrg.jpg

Wooden track:

82gf0008mi3a7e2525c233.jpg

I knew that, but the fact is that Texas Giant isn't really a "wooden" coaster anymore. Six Flags can spin however they want to, but the fact is if you look at the track, its not the same type of track as any woodie. Its a hybrid.

• 3 months later...