VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Flash pass

digidaze

I read somewhere that when you buy a flash pass you can only use it for one ride at a time. So in other words if you use it for Kingda KA and you aren't notified for 2 hours then what is the benefit of having it? I might as well save my money and wait in line. Wouldn't it make more sense to be able to use it fore several rides simultaniously? Then when the ride a becomes available you jump out of line for the ride you are waiting for and rush over to the front of the queue when you are paged for the available ride. I've never used the flash pass. Am I way off base here?

While you are waiting for your ride time, you can go and ride other stuff that has a shorter wait. So if Kingda Ka had a 2 hour wait, you could spend that 2 hours going on other rides and then come back to Kingda Ka. With Gold and Platinum, it makes the waits shorter which is almost like waiting for multiple rides at once.

Edited by Yoshi

While you are waiting for your ride time, you can go and ride other stuff that has a shorter wait. So if Kingda Ka had a 2 hour wait, you could spend that 2 hours going on other rides and then come back to Kingda Ka. With Gold and Platinum, it makes the waits shorter which is almost like waiting for multiple rides at once.

Okay, that makes sense. I guess in my scenario you would miss a lot of the pages because you are riding and that would cause some problems with park management.

Have you used the pass ? Did you order it online or get the day of your visit. The reason I ask is because if I order it online then I'm locked into that date and if it rains that day I'm screwed but on the other hand if I wait and buy it the day of my visit then they might sell out! I guess its a dilemma a lot of people face. Just wondering what the demand is like when you wait until you arrive at the park?

• 6 months later...

Hi...

I personally hate the flash pass system. Its as if they dont charge you enough already for admission. I could understand having it for the new coasters and such but otherwise its not fair to everyone else. I wont even attend a six flags park b/c I have heard how crazy the lines are and how poorly the parks are run. :P

Yeah things have really changed. I avoided the park for a few years but went back in 2007 and had such a good trip that I decided to get a season pass for 2008 (and have gotten a pass every year since). Multiple trains on all the coasters that have more than 1 train, almost all the time and the park is very clean.

On top of that, admission to Six Flags is dirt cheap compared to MOST parks. You get what you pay for. Even Hershey and Dorney charge far more and offer fewer discounts, and they give you a lot less park for your money. Let alone the Orlando parks which are about $75.00 a day at this point. GA's average admission is $36.99 per day (and that's not counting the ultra cheap Season Passes). As someone who has been to the park as a guest and used Flash Pass, it is worth EVERY PENNY. Is it something i can do every time I visit, no, but I just accept that there are lines. There always have been lines and always will be lines. It's nice to have the option of paying to skip lines when I want to do a full day at the park with friends and make sure I can get on everything.

I also hate the Qbot system at the park, a fast pass system should be free like Disney so it's fair game for everyone. I live close enough to the park that if it gets ungodly crowded enough to need a Flashpass I just go home. I agree that GADV is in better shape, but there are alot fewer rides than there used to be thanks to Shapiro. It looks like GADV will take care of it though.

I also hate the Qbot system at the park, a fast pass system should be free like Disney so it's fair game for everyone.

But, it's not "free" at Disney when you are spending so much more to get in the park, as well as more for all the food and merchandise. Also, Fast Pass has limits where a Q-bot let you do a lot more.

^ For a price, and Qbots also have limits. I don't know about GAdv's flashpass, but some of the other SF parks have some limits. For example I read that SFOT only lets platnium passes reserve rides on Texas Giant and even then they are only allowed to reserve one ride on it the whole day! Also SF food and merchandise is not really cheaper than Disney, except for the upscale restaurants which SF doesn't have. A drink at Disney is $2.79 vs SF's $3.19. SF does have a cheaper admission price and for most less traveling expense, but some of their markups are steep.

Edited by The Master

T-shirts at Disney average $24.95-$29.95 where at GA they are about $14.95. Disney offers no refillable drink cups so you have to keep buying the $3.00 drinks all day instead of buying $1.00 refills. The food is comparably priced for quick serve, but offers smaller portions for that money.

When I compare prices at Disney to Universal and SeaWorld/Busch Gardens, Disney is REALLY expensive for what you get since the ticket price is the same at all the Orlando area parks.

While I am not a fan of the Q-Bot, I like it at least doesn't allow you to ride over and over again with basically no waiting unless you go for the Platinum or possibly Gold. I'm just glad they aren't taking the Cedar Fair approach of it basically being an unlimited exit pass and there is nothing stopping someone from riding the same ride as much as they want with no wait effecting the line a lot more than Q-Bot.

T-shirts at Disney average $24.95-$29.95 where at GA they are about $14.95. Disney offers no refillable drink cups so you have to keep buying the $3.00 drinks all day instead of buying $1.00 refills. The food is comparably priced for quick serve, but offers smaller portions for that money.

When I compare prices at Disney to Universal and SeaWorld/Busch Gardens, Disney is REALLY expensive for what you get since the ticket price is the same at all the Orlando area parks.

And Disney keeps raising prices, I am looking into a possible trip next year not only do they keep raising admission, they are raising prices on other things and giving you less. Like the Quick Service Dining Plan, for 2012 they are raising the price and taking away a snack each day. Or how they are removing characters from Rafiki's Planet Watch in AK and not running the monorails until the end of Extra Magic Hours.

I still can't believe that I could buy Great Adventure passes for everyone in my family (4 people) for less than the cost of 1 5 day ticket to Disney without a park hopper option added.

Edited by Yoshi

SF has also been set up as low admission with big markups inside. It would take 5 $1 refills to match the cost of disposable $3 bottles, it only becomes cheaper by the 6th refill vs 7 disposable bottles, (210 oz consumed). SF also charges $20 for parking, charges SP holders for parking pass, and the $1 mandatory lockers while everyone else has free cubbies or free one time use lockers. But enough with the price comparison red herrings as everyone has pros and cons. The problem with upcharge express passes is that it only improves the experience of the few who buy it at the expense of the experiences of the majority of guests who don't pay for it which is why I dislike all upcharge express passes (SF, CF, Universal, etc). It's like they subtract some of the value from every paying guest, then offer to resale it as an upcharge to those willing to pay it. Disney's Fastpass doesn't do this as every paying customer has access to it included with their admission so it's fair game for everyone. I am not saying SF has the worst setup, however I think Disney has the only good express pass system. Just my :TwoCents: .

Edited by The Master

• 2 years later...

I personally love using the Flash Pass every time I go to Great Adventure, to me, it is worth every penny. I started out by using the regular Flash Pass to get a feel for the system, and I was like "wow, I am definitely going to buy this again, it's that good". The next few times, I used the Gold Flash Pass, and it is one of the best inventions that Six Flags parks came up with. This allowed me to do 5 rides in 1 hour. The last time I visited, I talked to the person serving me the flash pass that day, and I told him it is my 3rd time using the pass, and he gave me a card to bypass training next time. I still want to experiment the Platinum Flash Pass. I highly recommend the Flash Pass, if you love to fit in as much as possible, it beats waiting in long lines.