VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

GreatAdventureHistory Spotlight - 1974 Home Movie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Great film, those tents stores really looked alot nicer back then.

They sure did!! Two things that always puzzled me. When and Why did they add those drop ceilings to the 4 tents,(they are so claustrophobic compared to their original look) and when and why did they block off Dream Street? Neither maneuver makes any sense. Last month, I went to the smoking area that is in the "blockade" to have a cig, then figured I could get out by the carousel side. No dice. It would be nice if they ran a bulldozer through that blockade and opened up Dream street again. While they are at it, get rid of the drop panels and restore the 4 tents too!!!

The drop ceilings were added to the tents for a couple of reasons. First was to help keep them cool, since the tent roof made it harder to air-condition. Second was the addition of sprinklers with the fire safety sweep in 1985.

As for Dream Street being blocked off, that happened with the re-building of Goodtime Alley. Dream Street was blocked off and the Joust-A-Bout and Parachute tower were added to the end of the games square (along with Sarajevo Bobsled, GASM, and SUF years later), to draw guests into the games area. Just getting people to walk past the games gets them to play the games, and the park makes TONS of money from the games. When people literally throw their money away on games, you want as many people to walk past them as you can get.

They have it down to a science! (as far as games vendor $$$$$$) Back in those days, when the newest attractions (bobsled, joustABout, and parachutes) were at the end of the new Goodtime Alley, it made sense. But now with El Toro, RT, KK, Medusa, and the classics all straight across, it would make sense to reopen the street and restore the classic view. I vaguely remember the original horshoe shaped Goodtime Alley, it was only there for 1 or 2 years when I first went. I don't remember Dream Street ever being open all the way through. My cousin and me always cut through the Fascination tent to get across. If it was actually open all the way through in my time there, I just don't remember it. One of those lost brain cells I guess. :o

PS- Wasn't the "diagonal" strip of games vendors added when Great American Scream Machine came in? I don't remember that route being available in the Bobsled days.

Edited by J4Sing

I think it probably doesn't bother me as much that Dream Street isn't open completely because I don't remember things any other way. In all honesty most of my memories of the park design have been wiped away over the years by my spending more time in them with the current designs now than I did when things like Bugs Bunny Land and that existed or when GASM first arrived. I think it would be nice to see them open up DS all the way, but I don't see the paintball coming down just because while it's not my thing when in the park, there always seem to be people there shooting at things.

Came across some old 8mm home movies from Great Adventure's opening season on YouTube. Not the best quality, but you'll see the Garden of Marvelsl, Big Balloon in flight, and the chariot races in the Great Arena... Check it out by

Edited by Daved Thomson

Guest warnerleroy

Back when the park was a GREAT Great Adventure. The park is still a great adventure, but I love Leroy's sense of spectacle that was put in the park. Six Flags is great now, but back then, the park was really original. Many of the top attractions at our park can be enjoyed at other parks around the country.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what makes the loss of the Teepee so tragic. It was one of the truly original elements of the park.

Does anyone know where to find a copy of the original TV ad from when the park opened, "Open your eyes cause the greatest day in your life is here, at Great Adventure". I remember both versions of the song but I would love to actually hear it and see the comercial again.

That's what makes the loss of the Teepee so tragic. It was one of the truly original elements of the park.

Does anyone know where to find a copy of the original TV ad from when the park opened, "Open your eyes cause the greatest day in your life is here, at Great Adventure". I remember both versions of the song but I would love to actually hear it and see the comercial again.

Welcome to the site RobertDavid! We hope you ejoy it.

Here is link to a topic thread about the Greatest Day commerical including a link to a piano version and the sheet music of the song. We haven't been able to locate a copy of the commercial yet but hopefully soon! :)

Welcome to the site RobertDavid! We hope you ejoy it.

Here is link to a topic thread about the Greatest Day commerical including a link to a piano version and the sheet music of the song. We haven't been able to locate a copy of the commercial yet but hopefully soon! :)

Thanks. It was great to hear the music again. It's been 33 years. I really hope somebody finds the commercials.

• 6 months later...
QUOTE (southview2 @ Feb 8 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On youtube, the video Tour74 has been muted permanently, I think you should find the problem. Cause I wanted to watch it. dry.gif

You can see (and hear) the video in our galleries by clicking HERE. It is the first one listed.