VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

A Giga Drop Coming to GA?

Andrew M

so a rumor according to screamscape states how great adventure is planning on breaking records that will soon belong to Magic Mountain's new Drop of Doom, by adding our very own giga drop in 2013 or 2014.... to the tower structure of Kingda Ka.

hmm.. idk it's a hard rumor to swallow. but wouldnt that be something.

anyone heard of this rumor before? personal opinions on the matter?

From Screamscape:

icon_STOP.gif2013/2014 - Giga Drop - Rumor - (2/27/12) Rumor has it that Six Flags Great Adventure has a new world record ride plan in the works that may shock you. If they go ahead with it, look for it to come in either 2013 or 2014, and will involve somehow mounting a Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom style ride system to the 456 foot tall Kingda Ka tower structure. Looks like poor SFMM wont have the drop tower record for very long.
Edited by Up_Up_and_Away
Link & Content added to end. Seriously, people, it's all part of properly crediting your sources.

It seems like they're out sourcing their super hero theming more and more. First Boardwalk, then Frontier Adventure, and now (possibly) Golden Kingdom.

Maybe we'll see a Flash themed dark ride in Fantasy Forest ;)

On a side note: I do like the idea of getting a drop tower on the side of Ka. Just theme it differently.

Honestly, I can't see it happening though dumber things have happened in the history of the park.

Kingda Ka's tower would be fine for a drop ride addition if it were anywhere near the current areas of the park. It is SO far off the beaten path it would be a hike to get there. on top of that, unless you were to put it on the Safari side of the tower it's in the "danger" zone in the event of a cable snap. Basically guests would either have to routed between the launch track and Rolling Thunder to get there or they would have to be routed on the edge of the parking lot. Either way it's just impractical to get there from inside the park.

It would be cool to see but I don't understand how they can do it on Kingda Ka. The back of the structure is not perfectly straight going up. And the "heart" of KK is in the building below. Would they really want to add a ride with people around that area? They never opened the old line back up because they didn't want people near the ride after the 05 malfunction so I can't see why they would add a drop tower.

This is an idea that is still in progress. I know for a fact that it is possible, but I am not allowed to tell where I saw it, but it is a source provided by six flags. I know that this is an idea in progress and is not guaranteed to be true but they have thought about it. There was nothing about attaching it to kingda ka though.

I like the idea of a drop tower, but putting it on Kingda Ka is stupid. It does not make any sence putting the worlds tallest drop tower on the same structure as the worlds tallest roller coaster. I think whoever gave this rumor to Screamscape added their own idea to it. There might be a rumor about this drop tower coming to the park, but I dont think putting it on Kingda Ka is part of it.

It seems so illogical to put it on Kingda Ka, the support structure is nowhere near as robust as the one on S:EFK. As was stated a bove too, that's a huge maintenance area and anytime that Ka had to get a major repair you can bet that any ride integrated into Ka would probably have to be closed for the duration of the repair. The only locations I could see a huge drop tower going in would be the old Tee-Pee site, somewhere in Movietown (there are plenty of locations in there, too many to list.) or even where Balin's Jungleland used to be (if the Safari Discoveries expansion doesn't work out.)

I'm for all them using the same straegy they used this there of one major flat plus three small ones. add your drop tower in Movietown and reopen/retheme old country with 3 or 4 other flats(reopened/rethemed autobahn, chance unicaoster, Zamoerla Airplane looper, a new family coaster, Zamperla Skyhawk or Demoderby, just some ieas...)

For crap's sake, Six Flags: ENOUGH WITH THE COMIC BOOK TIE-INS. If you MUST theme rides after comic book heroes & villains, KEEP THEM ALL IN ONE AREA OF THE PARK... PREFERABLY *NOT* an area with an existing theme.

AMEN!!!

I don't think they intended to use the Lex Luthor theming, I think they just meant the same type of ride.

I would much rather see the existing Ka tower utilized for such a thing instead of building yet another metal tower overpowering what little is left of the forrest.

if anything i would put it in free fall's old spot. hell even call it FREE FALL 2!!!! gasp!

I agree free fall's old spot would be great. I love any idea that gets people flowing to the empty areas. Movie town is more like ghost town nowadays. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a replacement for our old drop tower, a new show right next to it in the empty arena, and maybe even the eventual reopening of old country to put an end to a very large dead end? :)

Edited by Cholito20

I'm for all them using the same straegy they used this there of one major flat plus three small ones. add your drop tower in Movietown and reopen/retheme old country with 3 or 4 other flats(reopened/rethemed autobahn, chance unicaoster, Zamoerla Airplane looper, a new family coaster, Zamperla Skyhawk or Demoderby, just some ieas...)

Just another idea would be to re-add the Chiller into Movietown and re-open Old Country with some new flats, then shoving it off as a 40th anniversary present... That would be awesome

I think the best idea would be to gut the Stunt Theater seats and build a drop tower/tower complex in the middle, using the covered seating area as a themed queue. The Stunt Show is never coming back and it would offer shade and protection from dropped objects for the guests waiting in line as well as ready made theming for a super hero or villain themed ride.

I think the best idea would be to gut the Stunt Theater seats and build a drop tower/tower complex in the middle, using the covered seating area as a themed queue. The Stunt Show is never coming back and it would offer shade and protection from dropped objects for the guests waiting in line as well as ready made theming for a super hero or villain themed ride.

That is a great idea.

I couldn't agree more! I'd rather see movietown and old country filled up with flats rather then a new coaster, similar to what the area was like in 1996! Maybe a Zamperla Disko in freefalls old spot along with a round ride in front of the observatory, maybe a giant sky chaser or air race. Then save the old country retheme for the following season. We really don't need a new roller coaster in the immediate future.