VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv. Debate #4: Great American Scream Machine's Removal

35 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Great American Scream Machine removed prematurely?

• Yes, it was removed too soon.
    • No, its time was up.

It was time. The only reason I went on Great American Scream Machine was that it never had a line and I would be able to go on an unlimited amount of time. During fright fest I was suprised that there was a 15 minute long line. I started to dislike the ride because it was very shakey, it gave me a headache and hurt my head from banging it on the restraints. It used to be a ride of it's time, but not anymore compared to the new rides Six Flags was building. Scream Machine didn't even compare to rides like Kingda Ka, Medusa (Bizzaro), El Toro, and Nitro. If Great Adventure didn't need to keep Scream Machine because it didn't attract many people and not many people went on it, it was my go to ride when the park was busy during the summer. I do miss it, but I like Green Lantern better.

I thought it was removed too soon. Green Lantern could have been put elsewhere in the park and Scream Machine could have run for a long time. It was a very reliable ride, and although the line was short that was partly because of the high capacity with no seatbelts to check in addition to the OTSR like at Green Lantern, Bizarro and Batman. I found that riding in the front 3 cars of the train provided a somewhat smooth ride and in 2010, the red train especially seemed to be running smoother than ever.

I also wanted to see the ride still at the park because of how iconic it was. From 1989 to probably until Superman or Kingda Ka, it was the main coaster you first saw when going into the parking lot (unless you count driving past Rolling Thunder in previous years before the reconfiguration) and it seemed to define the park as a thrill park, at least to me even after Batman was built.

It is also sometimes mentioned that these Arrow loopers won't last longer (especially with the rumor of Cedar Fair removing Vortex at Kings Island and Anaconda from Kings Dominion soon) and that was a reason for removal but with Vekoma still around, I don't think that is a valid reason to say parts would be difficult to get. If new trains were ever needed, Vekoma could provide them (plus they had the train from Shockwave to use for parts) or they could even have taken one of the 3 trains and used it for parts since on most days, 2 trains would be enough.

Edited by Yoshi

I voted yes, but GASM would have only lasted for so much longer. I hate to say it but, Arrow is a thing of the past. With the rumored removal of all corkscrew coasters within a couple of years by Cedar Fair, GASM would have probably lasted only for a couple more years. GASM was very reliable, but since Arrow dissolved into S&S, they ran into problems with keeping GASM. It gets me thinking about Viper at SFMM. It has so many years left at the park.

While I think the Scream Machine was beginning to show its age, I don't think it was anything that could've been fixed with a quick rehab. However, I don't know the cost of fixing it versus removing it. It seemed like the problems it had weren't that bad, and even if they were to be fixed, it could've even survived without (I still enjoyed the ride). As mentioned above and around the forums, Green Lantern could've been placed somewhere else if the park felt thats what it needed. And I won't lie, the Green Lantern brought in a lot of guests initially, but I'm not so sure now. In fact, the lines it brings in look just about the same.

GASM had been on the block to go for a few seasons, it was time, it did not pull any numbers, it was nice working it because you got off at a reasonable time at night since it never had a line, it was extremely reliable but it beat you up pretty darn bad and was dated.we got a decent replacement, so i cant complain to bad, i do miss it but i think i only miss it because it was around for so long, it changed the skyline of the park dramatically, but in the end change is good, im quite sure the park had a boost in revenue from GL and it still draws a good line , although GL could have went on chillers site to revive that entire half of the park, its still lacks in major attractions even with Adventure Alley

I think it was time to, even though i am not a big fan on lantern it was time. It was mt fav. ride in the park at the time, but with the short lines, roughness i think it was getting a little dangerous. The ride was reliable though, i only ever saw i break down once. At lest it kinda lives on on Ninja, the blue train, if you have noticed the blue train is what makes up my username.

I know this is a seperate topic, but I belive Rolling Thunder should've been removed before the Scream Machine. RT has a great piece of real estate available for the park (and had an even bumpier ride experience), GASM was only opertune for another parking lot expansion.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is a seperate topic, but I belive Rolling Thunder should've been removed before the Scream Machine. RT has a great piece of real estate available for the park (and had an even bumpier ride experience), GASM was only opertune for another parking lot expansion.

No Rolling Thunder should never be removed!!

• 2 months later...

Green Lantern has been a walk on every time i rode, i even got to re-ride many times. It's restraints hurt my head and it makes all the blood rush to my legs (not a pleasant experience). I still like GL ,HOWEVER, I much prefer GASM. I think GASM was a much better ride and they could of put GL in movie town or Old Country and kept GASM. But Six flags can not manage a park. I mean Cedar point still has Magnum.

• 4 months later...
Guest Moonracker7

This ride like others is not being made anymore and parts are so it was time to say good-bye...at least we got a good deal out of it...Green Lantern Aka Chang from Kentucky kingdom which opens this year in may. I think this maybe the last season for viper at Magic mountain because I think none of the other parks have coasters that go by that name...the only other one I know of is ours that Togo built.