VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv. Debate #7: Which ride's removal would be most devastating to the park?

Great Adventure has a fine mix of nostalgic rides, exciting roller coasters, and simple fan favorites. Many are landmarks at the park, some are small and simple, and others just are pretty to see. In your opinion, which ride's removal would be most devastating to the park if it was taken out?

Great Adventure has a fine mix of nostalgic rides, exciting roller coasters, and simple fan favorites. Many are landmarks at the park, some are small and simple, and others just are pretty to see. In your opinion, which ride's removal would be most devastating to the park if it was taken out?

1. Log Flume

2. Big Wheel/Giant Wheel

3. Carousel

4. Runaway Train

5. Rolling Thunder

None of these should be removed... Ever!

For fans of the park, any original rides from when the park opened especially Runaway Mine Train and Saw Mill Log Flume.

For the average park visitor or what would hurt the park the most, Nitro, Kingda Ka and El Toro since like batmanrobinchiller mentioned, it would really hurt attendance for the park.

Edited by Yoshi

Skyride

Guilty pleasure for me as it has the cars from Great America's Sky Ride.

It's a shame so many parks got rid of their Sky Rides. It is always fun to get an aerial view of the park and saves a lot of time walking back from Nitro to Bizarro (unless the line is long). I hope Great Adventure's Skyway remains in the park for a long time.

Edited by Yoshi
  • Like 1

In reality, I think the removal of Nitro would have the most devastating impact. I think that would for sure hurt attendance. You remove an iconic ride like the Skyride, yes people will be bummed, but will they still come to the park? Probably. It just doesn't yield the kind of respect from that GP that we have for it. Same goes for the Mine Train. A lot of people would be like, "Aw man they took that out? Oh well." and off to the next ride they go. If Nitro were to go though, I think you would find some guests who would legitimately be angry,

I totally agree. It's an ugly eyesore made ten times worse by painting it loud, obnoxious colors. Hopefully they'll follow the other parks and demolish it.

You used similar words to describe Parachutes, Dare Devil Dive, and SkyScreamer. Curious, do you have something against tall rides or maybe heights?

You used similar words to describe Parachutes, Dare Devil Dive, and SkyScreamer. Curious, do you have something against tall rides or maybe heights?

I can't speak for him but I HATE Dare Devil Dive and that would be the 1st thing I'd remove from the park. Not cause It's tall or location, But because It's an Upcharge attraction. Upcharge attractions take land away from free attractions and I don't think you should have to pay like 20 for parking, 60 for admission and then another 20-40 for another Ride.

Oh and for the record, I'd remove every pay ride from Great Adventure. That would offer a great way to expand the Boardwalk section with some family rides.

Hold on, I need to move my soapbox out of the way.

Edited by Coaster Justin

I totally agree. It's an ugly eyesore made ten times worse by painting it loud, obnoxious colors. Hopefully they'll follow the other parks and demolish it.

Hi RobertDavid! While we usually agree on most items; I couldn't disagree more on this. The current color scheme is agreeably awful, but "Parachuter's Perch" is a fantastic family attraction. It is everything the park needs. A ride that can be enjoyed by an entire family. Yes, it's tall, but also slow enough not to overwhelm the senses. "Parachuter's Perch" is also one of the few attractions guests with disabilities can ride. I travel with a "Quadriplegic" friend, who requires a "max assist" transfer to board. Due to "Parachuter's Perch" lack of force, and the fact the benches accommodate 2 guests, we can safely allow him to have fun too. Even in the re-imagined Disney California Adventure, Intamin's Jr. Parachutes remain. Great Adventure has many problems, but "Parachuter's Perch" shouldn't even be on the radar.

Paint the sucker a less obnoxious color, but don't toss it away.

P.S., Great Adventure History's sublime "Parachuter's Perch" spotlight showcases even more reasons this ride belongs. History comes full circle.

Edited by Thunderbolt
  • Like 1

I have nothing against heights or tall rides, when they are not so hedeously ugly. Parachuter's Perch wasn't too bad when it was white, but now it's awful. The other rides are cheap looking towers that look like construction cranes, SkyScreamer painted a rediculous aray of clashing colors and DDD gray and ugly, just like a construction crane. If they would paint the rides complimenting colors and give them coherent themes, they would not be so bad, but they go out of their way to make them obnoxious and ugly.

As far as the classics go, The Sky Way and the Big Wheel. For the modern ones, Nitro should be on that list because I can't go one conversation about the park without Nitro coming up. However, it does hold a large piece of land potential for the park...

The remaining 1974 rides

Rolling Thunder

Buccaneer

Congo Rapids

Parachuter's Perch

Teacups

Skull Mountain

Houdini

Every B&M coaster (except Supersuck and maybe Green Lantern)

El Toro (I would add Kingda Ka, but everybody could agree that ET is the better coaster. That, and Ka is a maintenance nightmare)